The Locks

dredger

67415424_2454979848055053_38849091331151

What is with Norfolk pubs turning into these wanabee a la carte gastropubs?.. I know I'm probably as common as muck (Parents fault of course) but i do like good tasty meal but a menu like would make me run a mile, Pourquoi dans Francais, ces la Norfolk? 

When I'm on the boat I'm normally dressed like a tramp who hasn't shaved for a week, yup I can scrub up but I'd rather not go posh if I can avoid it.. I'm on holiday.. a very tasty local (written in english) meal made with sheep, cows or chickens from the back garden, together with some greens and veg also from round the corner would be lovely.  I don't want a road killed penguin and kangaroo, I don't want to text my pop's to ask him to translate for me (Ok I'm not that bad!!)  Norfolk certainly has some amazing cuisine and is bloody lovely but Norfolk needs to remember that it's not invented the motorway yet an isn't london, or Pari', rustic but well done is my wishlist..

I miss my locks already.. bloody BBQ it is in September then... :default_smiley-angry047:

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Believe me Alan this menu is not posh,its a load of old rubbish. The wild boar has everything apart from the kitchen sink.None of which would make it taste good.

Oh god really? that bad.. so not only is food I wouldn't really try it's all a fake con?? At least I can go in my crocs and unshaven though :) result!

The first time I visited the Locks Susan greeted us with "You're off the Sea Scouts boat int cha? You're on halves 'til I say different!"The last time I was in the Locks I enjoyed a plate of bangers and mash with onion gravy, washed down with a few pints of,I think, very well kept Adnams. I wish them well but they'll have to manage without me.

• Like 3

We were on our hols in the early 80's when the Locks started going upmarket. Walter had a barbecue he'd knocked up out of half an oil drum. I think he hadn't actually cleaned it out . . . everything had a slight taste of Duckhams 20w/50w. Great night, all the same!

• Like 2

I suspect its all about money which tends to drive pubs these days. Of course you would hope a pub would make a decent living for the landlord/lady. However I think Green Jack charged Colin a very reasonable rent and he in turn didn't appear to live an unduly opulent lifestyle as did probably Walter Coe and Susan Ellis before him. I suppose to be fair Grain are trying to make money out of the pub but its a shame its rich heritage seems to be suffering at the same time.

I was disappointed in some ways about the White Horse at Neatishead as it had one of, if the not the most, unspoilt interior in the area. But it really did struggle and is now a thriving pub. I suppose its all progress.

I'll bow to Ian's knowledge regarding the grub. I tend to concentrate on drinking in pubs more than eating in them. However I suspect the margins will be the driver here.

I enjoyed the beer when I called in last May and the service was OK. But it just doesn't have the same atmosphere, particularly in the old bar area. It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the coming months and particularly in the winter.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I suppose to be fair Grain are trying to make money out of the pub but its a shame its rich heritage seems to be suffering at the same time.

To be honest I think the heritage was lost after the first extension was made. Before that it was unique and not just on the Broads.  I've never really enjoyed the place since until my visit in June. As for the food, though the menu was slightly pretentious the meal was good. I like a simple traditional menu as much as anyone (the superb Surlingham Ferry coming straight to mind) but it's nice to have a bit of diversity as well and much better than the freezer sourced offerings found at many pubs.

Fred

• Like 2

I like to look at a menu prior to visiting a pub but I don’t do Instagram or any other of these sites where some establishments now seem to advertise. For me, a visit to a pub is to enjoy the local beers and also to eat, so a common or garden website is handy. (Take a look at Surlingham Ferry Inn’s menu on their website. - very inviting.) If the menu above is typical of what The Locks serves, then it certainly isn’t for me. No website so I can’t see the full menu admittedly but some of the trip advisor reviews don’t make good reading at all.

The Big Dog Ferry runs from Beccles to The Locks and part of their advertising suggests lunch at the pub. I wonder how many punters have been disappointed at the choice of food for a lunchtime snack. 

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

The Big Dog Ferry runs from Beccles to The Locks and part of their advertising suggests lunch at the pub. I wonder how many punters have been disappointed at the choice of food for a lunchtime snack. 

Let's change "disappointed" to "delighted". After all we don't know unless Yougov has been around?  

At least the place is open and they are trying to make a go of the place.  Everyone is different. Like it some will, some won't but it's there if you want it.

Fred

p.s. Just my luck it will be cr*p next time!