Hello From The Broads Authority

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Tom, Slutterns Dyke at Oulton Broad was last dredged back in 2013 if my memory serves me well. If nothing else it now needs a weed & reed cutter being now too narrow to use oars. We went round it in a dory today and had to clear the prop of weed several times. Trudi Wakelin was well aware of the problems which apparently, in part, date back to the last time it was dredged.  You guys might know it better as Sluttons Dyke. Steve the local Ranger is also aware of the problems as well as the attractions of this charming back water that dates back at least to the creation of the Lowestoft to Norwich Navigation. 

Are they the 3 dykes at the end of Oulton dyke?. I remember years ago, on the Hoseasons map the two most western ones were of an L shape, the most easterly being shorter and straight. The most westerly one was the longest and went further south than the centre one. In fact, i`m sure on google sattelite view, they may still do so. i`l have a look later.

Yes, that's what I saw. If the foliage and weed were dramatically cut back, it would be a lovely place to Moor, providing it's wide enough to turn around and the land owners agree to it?.  Places like this are really nice and peaceful to get away from the busy areas. Yes, how about it Tom, any chance?. 

15 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Mind you, having said that, I doubt Peter (JM) would want us "bloody tourists" encroaching on his secret escape :default_gbxhmm: :default_icon_e_biggrin:

I'm not having that!! You bring the barby, I'll bring the booze and coffee. :-)

Edited to add, and the ghetto blaster. … Jay? You coming?

it does give everyone the option to air some of the less pressing problems - like odd cuts that need weed clearing / dredging, but are maybe not of the more travelled routes and can be tackled when doing other work in the vicinity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I'm not having that!! You bring the barby, I'll bring the booze and coffee. :-)

Edited to add, and the ghetto blaster. … Jay? You coming?

I'm sure I can bring along a fine selection of appropriate music to play on the ghetto blaster, but you can keep your coffee and Earl Grey for ST, I'll double the rations of booze we bring along

15 minutes ago, BroadsCruiser said:

I'm sure I can bring along a fine selection of appropriate music to play on the ghetto blaster

Would that be Ed Sheeran, John Legend? That sort of music babe? :default_norty: :default_icon_kiss:

A very warm welcome on board Tom, it's nice to have you here 

Grace 

34 minutes ago, BroadsCruiser said:

I'm sure I can bring along a fine selection of appropriate music to play on the ghetto blaster, but you can keep your coffee and Earl Grey for ST, I'll double the rations of booze we bring along

I'm sure you can matey, but as you know, there will be one amongst us who has a nectar allergy. The tea's for him.  :-)

Edited to add... Note to self.. Read peoples posts properly before replying. Your point about tea and coffee for ST duly noted.

29 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Would that be Ed Sheeran, John Legend? That sort of music babe? :default_norty: :default_icon_kiss:

I'm going with the lads darling, not having a romantic evening of loving with you :default_smiley-angelic002:

Not that I would listen to that cr*p anyway :default_biggrin:

15 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Edited to add... Note to self.. Read peoples posts properly before replying. Your point about tea and coffee for ST duly noted.

Thats alright mate, my posts aren't usually worth reading anyway :default_biggrin:

6 hours ago, grendel said:

it does give everyone the option to air some of the less pressing problems - like odd cuts that need weed clearing / dredging, but are maybe not of the more travelled routes and can be tackled when doing other work in the vicinity.

That`s absolutely spot on. At least we can air issues we think are important to improving our magical waterway for all. And, we can do so in a constructive manor. We know we can`t all have what we want, but we can at least form a general consensus of what is of fundamental importance, and at the same time, bring up less important issue`s at least with the view to discussing them in the future.

One important issue for me is WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO KNOCK DOWN THAT DAMN BRIDGE? :default_gbxhmm: :default_gbxhmm: :default_laugh:

now ST, I can only say that i have never yet been unable to get the boat I have hired through that bridge, since I hire from martham Boats, that and the fact should I ever be stuck, it will probably be above the bridge, then just think of all those empty moorings and quiet rivers I will have all to myself.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Tom, Slutterns Dyke at Oulton Broad was last dredged back in 2013 if my memory serves me well. If nothing else it now needs a weed & reed cutter being now too narrow to use oars. We went round it in a dory today and had to clear the prop of weed several times. Trudi Wakelin was well aware of the problems which apparently, in part, date back to the last time it was dredged.  You guys might know it better as Sluttons Dyke. Steve the local Ranger is also aware of the problems as well as the attractions of this charming back water that dates back at least to the creation of the Lowestoft to Norwich Navigation. 

Hi @JennyMorgan, I’ve just had a chat with the team responsible for cutting.

Cutting Sluttons was on our plan to be cut in early July but unfortunately we have been diverted onto the main navigation in Norwich as plant growth is significant there.

We also had a weeks delay with our machine which partially sunk at Beccles (cause unknown) which caused a slight delay and meant that Sluttons was not cut when originally planned.

We are returning to the area after cutting on the Upper Yare and Wensum and the cut should hopefully take place during the 2nd or 3rd week of August when we return to the Waveney for its second cut.

Water levels and temperatures are meaning that plant growth is even more significant than normal and we are working hard to keep everywhere clear as possible.

Hope that’s helpful,

Tom

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, grendel said:

now ST, I can only say that i have never yet been unable to get the boat I have hired through that bridge, since I hire from martham Boats, that and the fact should I ever be stuck, it will probably be above the bridge, then just think of all those empty moorings and quiet rivers I will have all to myself.

When we're up in September, I'm seriously thinking about mooring at PH and hiring one of their diesel picnic boats for a day and having a run around the upper Thurne network. 

Your comment actually does raise very pertinent question Gre, if Artham Boat Co can build boats to go under the blockage, why can't other yards do likewise?. However, I don't want to hijack this thread or go off topic again, so I'll make any further points on the relevant thread. 

Sorry Tom.