Back On The Broads From Early Tomorrow Morning

ranworthbreeze

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

This might be an opportune moment to advise that half of the Commissioners Cut moorings are taped off, all of the upstream side of the cut. They are likely to stay that way for some time as I understand the quay heading is ‘tipping’ rather badly and need substantial work. Thinking about it, it probably makes the cut more user-friendly in that probably 4/5 boats could moor on the downstream side. Usually there is a boat either side at the entrance to the cut blocking the rest off!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread Alan, just thought the info might be useful for anyone planning to moor there. Enjoying your write-up, are the rivers very busy at the moment?

Hello Vanessan,

Thank you for the reminder, I should have mentioned it.

The rivers are not too busy but the usual spots are full, Loddon, Rockland St Mary, Ferry House Inn Surlinghan and Bramerton Green. You can book the mooring and table at the Ferry House Inn and the Waters Edge.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Enjoying this Alan, thank you. I know the Commissioner's Cut - it's a nice spot in its own right as well as being convenient for Thorpe and Norwich. Can Ranworth Breeze pass under the bridges in Norwich on the way to the Yacht Station? 

Hello Simon, with the canopy down and a good tide at the railway bridge  (they are keen in lifting it) all the other bridges are 10 ft plus to get to the yacht station, at the top end of the mooring are some electric posts.

Regards 

Alan

• Thanks 1

Sunday 28th July.

Another overcast day with slight rain, it was about 7.00 am when I crawled out of my pit, a quick wash and brush-up and I was ready for the day.

Breakfast today was cereals and fruit, tablets downed, internet sorted I wondered how Louise & David and their broods had taken to their last two nights under canvas. I phoned Jon & Brenda who said they were all fine and had not taken refuge in the caravan other than dropping in for breakfast.

I spoke with my sons and said I would not be home until later on Tuesday because I would be staying on the boat until Tony & Julie arrived so I could show then the new features on the boat. About four years ago we stayed to meet them and we were having a refresher on the bilge pumps, the forward one was OK but the aft one did not kick in. Down into the bilges I took the pump in its tray out and checked it out on the dock, the float switch was faulty. Off to Brian Ward’s for a new one, fitted and put back into its position another call out averted.

Graham one of our old owners came over for lunch, we usually meet up at some point when I am in Norfolk. We went to the Yare, we both have to be careful re carbs so he had the curry with rice, I had a small cheese burger with a few chips. We decided however to push the boat out and have a sweet (first one this week for me) I had chocolate fudge cake with ice-cream; Graham had the waffles & cream. Only one pint for me today and Graham was on lime & soda.

We went back to the boat after putting the world to right in the pub; it would appear that we are both turning into Luddites. We chatted a while on the boat and said our goodbyes until September when I am next on the boat.  

I locked up the boat and went up to the Co-op, I needed some more fruit, cordial and two cheese straws caught my eye (indulgence got the better of me).

I saw that NYA was still open so I called in for their latest list of boats and then had a wonder around the boats that were for sale, in previous years we have asked for keys to have a closer look at the boats. Today however it was just looking through the windows and reading the details on the sheets. The office closed but another family were looking around the boats, we chatted as you do, they have a smaller boat above Ludham Bridge, but were looking for a slightly bigger boat around 34 to 35 foot the drawback was of course the airdraft to get under Ludham Bridge. We said or goodbyes with me wishing them luck o finding a boat. I kept on looking, there is great satisfaction having long pockets and short arms, well I am from Yorkshire Tha Knows.

Back at the boat I opened a beer contemplated tea. I mixed up a Yorkshire pudding mix, I had already cut up some bacon that I would cook off and had put a couple of sausages in the oven. Once the sausages had browned I cut them into rounds to finish them off and pre heated the pudding tin, Mixture poured into the two of the 5 inch sections of the tin, I must stop doing catering sized portions, there was more mixture to fill the tin completely. Sausages & bacon now done, I had grated some cheese earlier. The pudding now well risen and cooked were ready for filling with the baked beans, bacon & sausage, just to sprinkle the cheese on the top and back into the oven to melt the cheese.

Tea eaten (well most of it, this is quite filling) pots washed I settled in to watch a DVD. By 9.50 pm I was ready for bed.

Bye for now.

Regards

Alan    

• Like 8

Alan, I do the same, I make a cauliflower cheese, 1 cauliflower does me enough to do a side to 4 meals (or even a main  plus 3 sides), the days portion getting thrown in the oven in a small oven proof dish for the time it takes to cook the sausages or chicken kiev or whatever else I am having to warm it up again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Back at the boat I opened a beer contemplated tea. I mixed up a Yorkshire pudding mix, I had already cut up some bacon that I would cook off and had put a couple of sausages in the oven. Once the sausages had browned I cut them into rounds to finish them off and pre heated the pudding tin, Mixture poured into the two of the 5 inch sections of the tin, I must stop doing catering sized portions, there was more mixture to fill the tin completely. Sausages & bacon now done, I had grated some cheese earlier. The pudding now well risen and cooked were ready for filling with the baked beans, bacon & sausage, just to sprinkle the cheese on the top and back into the oven to melt the cheese.

I'm reading this at 16:00 and wow, you've made me feel hungry!

Fred

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Alan, I think I could find RB, by following the well warn trail from Brian Wards back. The other trail leads to Zimbi.

paul

You are not wrong there Paul, I hope you have an account or ask for the NBN discount. 

I have got to call in today to pick up some crystals, I filled up all the moisture traps during my week and we are down to the last bag in the pack, Tanya says she can get some on today's delivery.

Regards

Alan

Just a fleeting visit to the forum this morning, I have already had breakfast.

So signing off the pack all my gear into the car (you can almost hear it growning from here) once the boat is empty I can start to clean the parts I missed yesterday. All the checks need doing and I need to fuel up and have the boat pumped out at Brooms fuel station when they are open. 

I am staying on to show Tony & Julie the new features on the boat before I leave for Sheffield.

Roll on September for my next visit unless there is a problem with the boat. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

Well the journey was uneventful, I left Brundall about 3.00 pm and the 3 hour 20 minute journey mostly with the top down and arrived home after a bit of shopping in the rain at 6.45 pm. 

I took the shopping in but left emptying the car until the rain stopped, Mike helped with this.

All was good we had a meal and settled down and watched some TV, by 11.20 pm I was all set to have a shower and then go to bed. I went into the kitchen and was doing some tidying  around the sink, I just caught the mixer tap, it broke off and water was gushing all over the place hitting the wall unit above and then teeming onto the floor. I put a few cloths on to the bit of the tap still attached to the sink whilst Mike disappeared down the floor trap to turn off the water, he could not turn off the valve so he had to come out of the trap in the floor and hold the cloths on the water steam whilst I disappeared into the utility room for a wrench. I sent Mike off to turn on the hot water taps in the bathroom whilst I held onto the cloths.

Eventually the water stopped and we had to start drying off the parquet floor. Towels and cloths later the floor was almost dry, I have saucepans hung above the sink, each had some water in them. Finally I managed to crawl into my pit  around 12.30 am.

This morning Instead of going to going to work I am off to Screwfix for a new mixer tap and some fitting, deep joy!

Bye for now.

Regards

Alan

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Bad luck Alan, and to find yourself so far from Brian Wards as well.

You need to fit some isolation valves on all the tap tails saves problems later on.

paul

Hi Paul,

There is some on but because the sink is a one & a half all fitted in a 600 unit with connections for the dish washer at the side, everything is very tight to get to. I was also trying to stem the flow, going to find a screwdriver (I know where they are) and trying to get some light in there would have been very difficult.

Regards

Alan