Two Red Flags Just Raised At Somerleyton

27 minutes ago, grendel said:

I think its generally the comment- "will pass under all broads bridges at a suitable state of tide" that gets people going.

this means different things to different boat yards, for Martham boats for instance it means there is a rare occasion when one of their boats cannot get under PH bridge, for most other yards it means there are rare occasions when this boat can pass under PH bridge.

Hence my comments on a post elsewhere, "If Martham Boats can design and build boats that can pass under the blockage MOST of the time, why can`t others?.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hence my comments on a post elsewhere, "If Martham Boats can design and build boats that can pass under the blockage MOST of the time, why can`t others?.  

Ah, but that design isn't 'sexy' or appealing to today's market. If you hire/buy a boat on the Broads , do your research and choose something that meets your requirements. That may mean some compromises.

• Like 1

because they designed them 50 years ago or more now, plus they are wooden boats that sit lower in the water, and are generally only 9 foot 6 wide. (that and the obvious fact that since their yard is that side of the bridge its pretty much a given that their customers will want to get under the bridge at some point. that they cater for two niche markets, those that want to see the other side of the bridge and those that want to hire a wooden boat, is probably another factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

because they designed them 50 years ago or more now, plus they are wooden boats that sit lower in the water, and are generally only 9 foot 6 wide. (that and the obvious fact that since their yard is that side of the bridge its pretty much a given that their customers will want to get under the bridge at some point. that they cater for two niche markets, those that want to see the other side of the bridge and those that want to hire a wooden boat, is probably another factor.

More than 50 years ago Grendel, in fact i`d say a lot more than 60 years. And that was back in the day when the blockage had a clearance of often over 7 ft. 

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I think its generally the comment- "will pass under all broads bridges at a suitable state of tide" that gets people going.

this means different things to different boat yards, for Martham boats for instance it means there is a rare occasion when one of their boats cannot get under PH bridge, for most other yards it means there are rare occasions when this boat can pass under PH bridge.

The HW web site is pretty clear on the matter, listing which bridges each boat should do and making it clear that none of their boats can be guaranteed to do Potter Heigham.

Although they seem to be a bit on the conservative side if the list of what their Diamond 43's will go under is typical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I'm fairly sure that others "could", but do they want to? The water's above Potter Bridge probably equate to about 10% or less of the navigable waterway and much of their appeal comes from the fact that not many boats get up there. Whichever way you look at it, a boat designed to pass under Potter Bridge will feel compromised to the majority of people due to low headroom inside, lack of space due to less width, lack of view due to being all on the one level, or draughty in Winter due to all the sides around the cockpit being collapsible. So do you compromise your build and the potential for it to hire to the mass market, or build something that hires well?

My own boat suits all my needs apart from being able to transit Potter bridge regularly, having said that, it went through this year and that makes those times all the more special. Would I go for a more compromised design to virtually guarantee transiting the bridge? The answer is no. My boat spends most of it's time South of Potter bridge and therefore a boat that meets my needs for the rest of my cruising time is more important.

With regards to hire boats being trapped above Somerleyton or Reedham bridges, I fail to see that argument. If they made it under Vauxhall Bridge Yarmouth on the appropriate tide without removing any fibre glass, then the rail bridges shouldn't be a problem at the appropriate tide either!!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

My own boat suits all my needs apart from being able to transit Potter bridge regularly, having said that, it went through this year and that makes those times all the more special. Would I go for a more compromised design to virtually guarantee transiting the bridge? The answer is no. My boat spends most of it's time South of Potter bridge and therefore a boat that meets my needs for the rest of my cruising time is more important.

When choosing a boat to hire, I made a trade-off between navigable bridges and other features I wanted. I could have hired one that would do a few more bridges and might do Potter, but for me it wasn't worth it to lose things that I wanted in the boat, like a fly bridge.

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

When choosing a boat to hire, I made a trade-off between navigable bridges and other features I wanted. I could have hired one that would do a few more bridges and might do Potter, but for me it wasn't worth it to lose things that I wanted in the boat, like a fly bridge.

Cory, we own one exactly the same as Beam of Light, they WILL go under ALL bridges, even Potter at a suitably low tide, but that`s very seldom, and our syndicate rules don`t allow it.

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

With regards to hire boats being trapped above Somerleyton or Reedham bridges, I fail to see that argument. If they made it under Vauxhall Bridge Yarmouth on the appropriate tide without removing any fibre glass, then the rail bridges shouldn't be a problem at the appropriate tide either!!!

So, if low tide is during the hours of darkness that`s ok? oh hang on, no hire boats are allowed to cruise during the hours of darkness, or within half an hour or so thereof?.

4 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

So, if low tide is during the hours of darkness that`s ok? oh hang on, no hire boats are allowed to cruise during the hours of darkness, or within half an hour or so thereof?.

I'm pretty sure last time I checked there are two low tides per day. Since it's only in the Summer time that we get frequent break downs due to the heat, then there is also maximum daylight hours to catch at least one of the low tides!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Cory, we own one exactly the same as Beam of Light, they WILL go under ALL bridges, even Potter at a suitably low tide, but that`s very seldom, and our syndicate rules don`t allow it.

So I'd gathered - but my point still stands, as at the time I was just going by what the hire company said.

Also, it's not my boat and if Herbert Woods want it to stay on one side of some of the bridges then that's their decision.

I can see that with arched bridges there's scope for the inexperienced to come a cropper even if in principle the boat should go through.

I might ask about bridges in the handover though.

'd like to think that (more by luck than judgement) we've made a good choice of boat. All those syndicate owners can't be wrong...

3 minutes ago, Coryton said:

So I'd gathered - but my point still stands, as at the time I was just going by what the hire company said.

Also, it's not my boat and if Herbert Woods want it to stay on one side of some of the bridges then that's their decision.

I can see that with arched bridges there's scope for the inexperienced to come a cropper even if in principle the boat should go through.

I might ask about bridges in the handover though.

'd like to think that (more by luck than judgement) we've made a good choice of boat. All those syndicate owners can't be wrong...

Yes, i`d advise you ask. As you rightly say, if HWs say no, then that`s final. But just so you know, they WILL go under the bridges at suitable tides. Always check the bridge height gauges well before you get to them. Do you have any bins, as they are always very handy when approaching bridges.

20 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Yes, i`d advise you ask. As you rightly say, if HWs say no, then that`s final. But just so you know, they WILL go under the bridges at suitable tides. Always check the bridge height gauges well before you get to them. Do you have any bins, as they are always very handy when approaching bridges.

Yes got binoculars ready to pack.

On Lough Erne binoculars came with the boat - pretty much essential for reading numbers on markers so you can check where you are on the chart and make sure you're not heading for the rocks.

As I mentioned elsewhere, bridges weren't much of an issue there. They did come with height gauges, but they were b****r all use because nobody told us what the air draught of the boat was.

• Haha 1

I think Marthams must be the only hire yard that dont require a pilot for any bridge, ok they will only allow their own staff to take their boats through Potter Heigham (not even the pilots can take their boats through), but any other bridge you get told as long as the marker says 6 foot 2 or better, you can take them through, this means that wroxham bridge is a fun test for the hirer (though to be honest the boats are so low there is a ton of clearance, even when the boards say 6 foot 6" so yes i have taken a boat through wroxham bridge - several times.

Also at 6 foot 2" their boats can generally pass through any bridge at any state of the tide, I even have a contingency plan for my next break on the broads (only a week and a bit away now) to cross breydon on a high tide slack water to gain half a day extra on the south side, though I might end up punching the tide up Breydon as low water will be about 9pm in the evening which is a bit late.

Yes I do know all the do's and donts for Breydon, but even at high water I have the clearance under the bridges (unless the tide is particularly high in which case I just hang around until I can get 6 foot 2") the advice for Breydon is just that - advice, its not a hard and fast rule set in stone, and as long as you are aware of what the tides are doing (and have the bridge clearance), then passage at other times is possible.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2019 at 19:47, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

If they`re Brundall navy, they should be able to go out through Lowestoft, up the coast and in via Gt Yarmouth. BUT, being the Brundall navy, they NEVER go out to sea.

Not on their own anyway, I think it's called "cruising with carers" or something....

• Haha 1