Electrical Equipment On A Boat

5 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Our supplies are the same that were provided between 1934  & 1939 when the houses were built, back in those days there were two 15 amp surface sockets (the old type with the switch on the front) and lights in every room (position of the lamp holder so that you could not be silhouetted by the light). I know of some houses that have not been rewired at all with additional wiring mixed with the old.

When we debating electric cars it was mentioned that the infrastructure could not cope with the demand and as Grendel correctly states modern showers, dual electric ovens and electronic goods all over place take their toll on our limited supplies.

And I believe the move is supposed to be towards all-electric houses...no gas heating or cookers...

Actually that isnt the direction we are headed, eventually all natural gas appliances will be converted to run on hydrogen, and the gas pipes will contain hydrogen, that is the position we are looking at going forward, but that may still be some time in the future as they have to make the delivery systems idiot proof before we get houses exploding left right and centre.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, grendel said:

Actually that isnt the direction we are headed, eventually all natural gas appliances will be converted to run on hydrogen, and the gas pipes will contain hydrogen, that is the position we are looking at going forward, but that may still be some time in the future as they have to make the delivery systems idiot proof before we get houses exploding left right and centre.

Goodness. That could certainly make life interesting, to put it mildly.

Back on the topic of boat electrical for a moment ....

It is important to protect all the electical equipment on our boats. Overheating wires wrong fuses etc.

A fire on a boat is disasterous, there is nowhere to run! 

Below is a usefull guide to fuses and thier handeling currents.

Please all, be safe.

Clive.:10_wink:

fuses.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

Back on the topic of boat electrical for a moment ....

It is important to protect all the electical equipment on our boats. Overheating wires wrong fuses etc.

A fire on a boat is disasterous, there is nowhere to run! 

Below is a usefull guide to fuses and thier handeling currents.

Please all, be safe.

I like it.

Many years ago I traced an ominous burning smell in the lab I worked in to a mains fuse where, in the absence of a fuse holder, someone had somehow managed to fit the fuse directly into the socket the holder should have gone into.

They must have got away with it for several years, but over time the contacts become more resistive, and had reached the point where they were generating enough heat to start to melt the surrounding plastic.

Fortunately due to the smell we were able to take action before the lab caught fire. It was underneath some custom hardware that had taken a long time to build and would not have been quick to replace.

I have an old electrical isolator on my desk at work, it came out of the lighting circuit at my mother in laws and the copper contacts were completely melted, if it had not been a metal box with ceramic insulation, that would have caused a fire.

at work we have had a few incidents with distribution boards catching fire, almost invariably because the customer cables had not been correctly tightened to make a good contact, then the contacts heat up due to arcing and eventually catch fire.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I have an old electrical isolator on my desk at work, it came out of the lighting circuit at my mother in laws and the copper contacts were completely melted, if it had not been a metal box with ceramic insulation, that would have caused a fire.

at work we have had a few incidents with distribution boards catching fire, almost invariably because the customer cables had not been correctly tightened to make a good contact, then the contacts heat up due to arcing and eventually catch fire.

I suspect they were properly tightened originally but in my experience in building control panels I found that it was a good plan to go over the screw terminals again a few days later. They seem to 'settle'.  The stuff we were building was not expected to have much more than 10 years life.         JLR production lines.:63_astonished: