Webasto Warm Air Heating

The boat I have recently purchased has Webasto warm air heating. I have never used this system before and there are no user manuals aboard. That said, I have had it running and it works fine but I have been told this bit of kit is heavy on the batteries - why seeing as it is diesel fired? I have also heard that it is only heavy on the battery when being fired up but that after that there is no problem - the advice I have is to run the engine whilst starting the Webasto.

Can anybody add to this? Should I just run the engine when starting the Webasto and then carry on heating with no engine running?

Thanks

Colin

Webastos are actually quite frugal on power, assuming it is one of the later ones with a ceramic glow pin. With a decent battery there should be no issues. The old poor starting due to low voltage only really apply to the earlier diesel heaters and even then a well serviced unit and a good battery is all you need. If you post up the model I will sort you out a PDF manual as I have most on file.

Many thanks, I'll have a look when I'm at the boat later this week. Where will I find the identity/model number?

Is there any drain on the battery once the unit is fired up? Presumably there is in respect of the fan, which should not be much and allows for overnight running?

Thanks

Colin

There will (should) be a plate with the model number on it and the unit should always be fitted so that the plate is visible. You may also see the year of fitting marked off on one of three or four years printed on that plate. Apart from the miniscule draw from the electronics the only thing running will be the fan after the initial start up.

• 4 weeks later...

They also run the glow plug on power down to burn off any residual fuel in the combustion chamber and also if you have a thermo stat and the unit is running at a lower rate, to save electricity run it at full power and open a window if you get too warm.

They also run the glow plug on power down to burn off any residual fuel in the combustion chamber and also if you have a thermo stat and the unit is running at a lower rate, to save electricity run it at full power and open a window if you get too warm.

Only true in part, though the glow pin is activated for a few seconds both at full shutdown and as the unit enters "control idle" it is not in operation during low heat settings. Mind you the things don't like running on low heat with high sulphur red diesel, especially if it’s been fitted by an amateur with no access to a Co meter to set the correct air / fuel ratio after installation. So leaving them on high with a window open is no bad thing. If properly installed and calibrated though it shouldn’t be needed.