Hire Boats Stuck In The Yards Tomorrow?

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

A post from the rescue boat said that it was I little  Sealine cruiser that had run aground and was being battled by the waves.

Short of a mechanical failure I fail to understand why someone would run aground on Breydon! It isn't as though the channel isn't well marked!

• Like 1

I have just walked up to the cliff top between the gas works and Mundesley and while not like yesterday the breeze is pretty stiff. My guess is top end of 4 most likely 5 with gusts touching bottom end of 7.

Busy in Herbert Woods yard this morning. I have been watching the webcam from time to time. Didn't look like they let anyone leave yesterday. Today there were a lot of people about early on and I suspect that they didn't even do trial runs yesterday so are getting the boats away this morning. That is of course pure speculation from afar! 

It was far too windy to be boating yesterday. We had planned to be up there this weekend but cancelled due to the forecast. The broom here is all over the place and we've put lines on each corner and we are reasonably sheltered mooring, so certainly wouldn't like to be out on the broads at all this weekend, considering the time of the year and knowing that certain yards will be letting newbies out. 

Looking at Orca's insurance though it only states that I must follow local "Byelaws" looking at the BA's navigation byelaws which I believe are still current (https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/399230/Navigation_Byelaws_1995-1.pdf) on page two it clearly states that Breydon is still under the control of GYPA.. so advise me as much as you want BA but I believe my insurance wouldn't care one bit.. (Saying that though I really wouldn't be out but if I guess if I had to cross I maybe would look to).. 

Why is there no mention of the BA taking over control of  breydon and closing it in the byelaws? Do the BA not understand that these need maintaining? 

I kept an eye on catchpro most of yesterday, and there were still quite a few boats moving around. Several of Brooms hire fleet went out, and obviously several returned first thing. I think if on the upper Bure, Ant, and Yare, you would have been pretty safe as most of those areas are pretty sheltered, whereas the lower reaches are so open, i could imagine it being very tricky. Potter Heigham is also pretty open, so it`s no surprise HWs did`nt let anybody go.

Had a good weekend out and about. Spent a lot of time mudweighted on Barton Broad, but right up at the Gays Staithe end, in the lee of the tree line. No problems at all. Unless you count the trip down the Ant to Ludham on Sunday morning, when the lead boat was going so slowly he was being blown all over the place! Made it very tricky for the other 5 of us behind him. And another whinge, while I'm on it - why do people get actually underneath Ludham bridge and stop? It's bad enough there at any time, without that added nonsense.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Unless you count the trip down the Ant to Ludham on Sunday morning, when the lead boat was going so slowly he was being blown all over the place!

I also find this very annoying and I am afraid the boatyards are partly to blame, as the standard Hoseasons sticker on the dashboard says that 4MPH is 1000 revs. This is not much more than tick-over and means you hardly have any steerage way at the best of times.

I have one of these stickers, from my boat's hiring days, but I have tested it, up and down, on the measured quarter mile at Horning, so I know that in my case, 4MPH is 1400 revs. That makes a great difference to your steering.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, grendel said:

Well it does depend on the tides, yesterday on Rickover going down to burgh castle I was on tickover and doing nearly 5.5 mph.

Which is exactly why I went both ways, up and down, and took the mean of the two readings.

As to whether speed limits should be based on boat speed or ground speed, that is a different and long-standing argument!

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Considering almost everybody* nowadays has a smart phone I fail to understand why the hire yards don’t tell the hirers to download a free speed app or even the Aweigh app which gives speed and a live map 

* yes John (MM) I know you still use a steam powered model 

No, he's still on wind power.

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Considering almost everybody* nowadays has a smart phone I fail to understand why the hire yards don’t tell the hirers to download a free speed app or even the Aweigh app which gives speed and a live map 

25 minutes ago, Regulo said:

No, he's still on wind power.

Did you mean wind up power like a wind up radio? :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I never saw the point of those "x rpm = y mph" instructions. They're meaningless and bear no resemblance to the reality of tide and conditions. They may have a negative effect by giving a false impression. Who thought they were a good idea? 

I suppose they are there because it used to be the best that could be done.

But not nowadays. I don't know how common GPS speedometers are on hire boats -we had one at the upper helm but not the lower one. I brought an old phone to use just for GPS (so as to not run the battery down on the phones being used for other purposes) and we used that at the lower helm.

I had to remind myself when we saw people overtaking us when we were at the limit that they may not have known what speed they were doing.

The boat came with two labels at the lower helm giving rpm to speed and they were different from each other and also from what the boat actually did.

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Yes - why don't they?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Just replaced my blackberry with an equally non smart phone, but yes, I use my tablet split screen with is map and gps test which gives me speeds to .1mph in big numbers, and an is map with location pointer.

We stayed overnight at Womack dyke waiting to pass through ph bridge. Earlier in the week the pilot had confirmed that we would go through about 5pm four hours later than the published low tide at Yarmouth I believe. Rang to check on Sunday morning only to be told we would need to go through by 1pm. No problem, he took us through about 12 with 6.5 showing on the office gauge. Not sure how/why the tide seemed to change by about four hours but I have always struggled to understand the details. 

12 minutes ago, johnb said:

We stayed overnight at Womack dyke waiting to pass through ph bridge. Earlier in the week the pilot had confirmed that we would go through about 5pm four hours later than the published low tide at Yarmouth I believe. Rang to check on Sunday morning only to be told we would need to go through by 1pm. No problem, he took us through about 12 with 6.5 showing on the office gauge. Not sure how/why the tide seemed to change by about four hours but I have always struggled to understand the details. 

I know the wind is supposed to affect the tides. This seems a bit extreme though.