Luna’s Log

Lulu

4 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

A moment on the lips Mrs Lulu :default_eusa_naughty: As I am sure you will know, I never put rubbish into my body :default_smiley-angelic002:

Problem is I resisted the cake but the hot chocolate I'm sure wasn't a slimline version ..

56FCF1DA-F839-489D-AFB5-1145CDFA74D7.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Problem is I resisted the cake but the hot chocolate I'm sure wasn't a slimline version ..

56FCF1DA-F839-489D-AFB5-1145CDFA74D7.jpeg

The bag of chips for tea won't help either. :default_biggrin:

Still, you're on holiday :default_winko:

Thursday 14th November

No photos, the weather was so awful! 

The wind and rain had woken us up at about 4.30am.  The forecast was spot on unfortunately.  What a difference from the previous day.  The wind was due to die down mid to late morning.  If we hadnt have needed a pump out we would have stayed.  I dont mind admitting I was really nervous about getting away from the mooring.  The wind dropped a bit by 10.00 so we made the decision to leave then. The wind was forcing the boat away from the quay heading so we spent some time working out a plan of action. We put a centre line on and released the other ropes. We got away pretty smoothly but my heart was thumping.  I took over the helm (I dont do tricky stuff yet)  which is the normal routine for us and Selsie rigged up the 12v fan to de mist the screen but even that didnt do a lot.  He used washing up liquid on the screen which worked for the centre screen but not the sides screens. The windscreen wiper was on the whole of the way back.  Sadly it was a very miserable cruise back. Grey, rain, windy , cold and wet.  We got a pump out at our marina in the pouring rain. Drenched, we moored up in the marina. Tidied up the ropes and mopped the decks before going for hot showers.  We looked at the forecast for Friday before deciding to call it a day and to go home the following morning.  We ate on the boat, Fray Bentos pies and vegetables. A perfect end. 

Summary:
We loved our holiday albeit getting cold and wet at times.  The empty rivers and autumn scenery was stunning and we could get very used to having the rivers  to ourselves!  We ticked a few things off our to do list and have learned a huge amount in dealing with different weather conditions. 

Getting heating installed is now a priority.  We missed out on so many moorings we would liked to have stayed at, Ludham Bridge, Thurne Dyke, Barton Turf, and many others.  We couldn’t even stay for a couple of hours at any of them as we were just too cold. Whilst helming it was fine but not to sit around in the boat watching the scenery which is what we like to do.   We used on average £2 of electric each day and covered around 60 miles over 6 days. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jayfire said:

a lovely spot and only a short walk to the pub :default_beerchug:

Irstead... I seem to have lost my bearings, that and having not moored at Irstead for a very long time! Just in case I get in there any time soon, which pub and where please? :default_beerchug:

5 minutes ago, Ray said:

Irstead... I seem to have lost my bearings, that and having not moored at Irstead for a very long time! Just in case I get in there any time soon, which pub and where please? :default_beerchug:

Hi Ray, The White Horse at Neatishead takes about 30 minutes to walk to, although I walk fast so maybe 40ish minutes.

Not as handy as Gaye's Staithe or Neatishead of course, but there is a pub available should you want it :default_beerchug:

Actually I believe Horning is only about an hour's walk away too although I've never walked there, which gives me an idea for December :default_norty:

Thanks Jay, I always forget that places are connected much quicker by road and paths when I'm out on the boat. If people ask me if it's far to Potter from Sutton I've already told them it's about three and a half hours before I realise they meant by car!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Ray said:

Thanks Jay, I always forget that places are connected much quicker by road and paths when I'm out on the boat. If people ask me if it's far to Potter from Sutton I've already told them it's about three and a half hours before I realise they meant by car!

I know what you mean Ray, although when the 20 minute trip in the car from Brundall to Wroxham was suggested to me once, I had to decline.

"I'll meet you there" I said, and I did, 8 hours later. Loved it :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Jayfire said:

I know what you mean Ray, although when the 20 minute trip in the car from Brundall to Wroxham was suggested to me once, I had to decline.

"I'll meet you there" I said, and I did, 8 hours later. Loved it :default_biggrin:

You have just reminded me of the time my little brother booked a riverside cottage in Horning for a week and hired a cheaper day boat separately go with it. He asked me to give him a lift to collect the dayboat "it's just down the road a few miles" he says putting the postcode in my sat nav. 

Brundall? Brundall... he had no idea! 

I think they spent more time in the car driving back and forth to the dayboat than they ever did on it!

• Haha 4

Thanks Lulu, while you're happy to helm Luna all over the broads, I'm happy to do the 'Tricky Stuff' Mooring, Tight turns and 'oh god take over there's a sailey boat' LOL.

It's a perfect pleasure cruising on Luna with you and I promise I'll fit Heating for next season so we can moor where we like and tick more boxes............................ 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Selsie said:

Thanks Lulu, while you're happy to helm Luna all over the broads, I'm happy to do the 'Tricky Stuff' Mooring, Tight turns and 'oh god take over there's a sailey boat' LOL.

I think Sam has been talking to Karen again, that`s what she does :default_laugh:.

Next time you`re up the Ant and need a post, don`t forget to try Gaye`s Staithe. I`m sure there`s a post there, though others may be able to confirm yay or nay.

It was great to meet up with you guys in September, hopefully if you`re around in mid March, we will see you again, though that would be very dependent on weather conditions and tides.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It would have to be a mug of tea for me, i`m a bit intollerant of alcahol :default_laugh:

There is always tea and choccie digestives on board. :)   We even have normal tea rather than some weird florally stuff I got by mistake lol 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lulu said:

There is always tea and choccie digestives on board. :)   We even have normal tea rather than some weird florally stuff I got by mistake lol 

I`m partial to a strong Earl Grey, with milk and one sugar, but mostly in the warmer summer months. Otherwise, a good old cup of Tetley or Yorkshire tea, NOT decaf though :default_laugh:

• 3 months later...

So with the last two storms and cancelling our plans to go out on Luna we couldn’t take another week without at least staying on her in the marina. The gusts last night were really fierce and we didnt get a lot of sleep.  Decided to drive to Potter and had a lovely breakfast in Bridgestones before coming home.  On the bright-side we fired up Luna’s engine which start first time and she was beautifully dry inside. The Brooms pennant needs some attention as its been ripped but considering the recent weather, she is ok. Hoping these videos work:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1