Luna’s Log

Lulu

12 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Beautiful. The clouds did indeed clear a bit just as the sun was going down. I haven't ever stayed overnight at those moorings either. Looking forward to hearing where you go tomorrow.

Definitely recommend them. The only downside is speeding boats (or boats not realising they need to slow down when passing moored boats) occasionally which caused a lot of wash and had to brace ourselves! Around lunchtime a ranger moored up and requested a few to slow down and got the speed gadget thing out.  

We think we have a destination in mind. Again, going for a mooring we haven’t been on before. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Had a trip across Barton this morning and it was glorious sunshine, this weeks been better weather than we had in August. 

When we crossed there wasn’t a soul about.  Shame we missed you! Fantastic weather and we are making the most of it.  

25th September 

Woke up very late for us at 8.00. Desmond wasn’t keen to get up.   Took him for a short walk then left Boundary Farm moorings around 9.00.  Arrived at the new refurbished Fleet Dyke moorings and got the exact spot we were after. Just been for a long walk into the village. Very warm with the sun trying to come out.

Finally discovered where the source of a small fresh water leak is coming from - the calorifier is on its way out but guess as its 46 years old it’s to be expected.   An expensive thing to deal with but at least Selsie can install it himself. He’s going to change all the water pipes at the same time so it’s all a brand new system. 

A7EBCE78-241A-437E-A6C6-580B6C4F7E4B.jpeg

CE3D26C8-CFBA-48B0-8335-C6CA90AD2C9A.jpeg

FE68F689-020E-4E7E-9889-3749F9C13723.jpeg

• Like 5

Certainly did enjoy the day.  Again, most of the time just spent boat watching then lo and behold I spied a particularly stunning boat appear. Brundall Navy’s new baby.  The boat is stunning in real life.  We had a good catch up and toured the boat. Fascinating to see the similarities between both our Broom boats, layout and even down to the same dining table.  Thank you Doug for letting us have a nose about! 

Went for another walk with Desmond down to the village staithe and back.  Oh to live in one of the cottages … done the lottery tonight. 

Sunset not very spectacular but pretty all the same and the swan reflections look strange!  Off back to the marina early tomorrow then it’s researching calorifiers and no doubt empty our wallets :( 

28CC9549-AB9B-42F5-B176-6CE81B36C4E5.jpeg

43EE7C86-5FBE-4FDE-8ABF-20A040561A5A.png

F5603EA1-CD36-42A2-9729-661F131DBF27.jpeg

453D3002-7AD4-436A-A91F-270F927B096B.jpeg

8A22831A-B485-4F47-990B-97EA7FAB4E21.jpeg

• Like 6

26th September. 

We got up early, quick walkies with Desmond and left Fleet Dyke at 7.15. It was misty but plenty of visibility. Fleet Dyke was covered in what I assume is blue green algae? We took our time and pootled slowly back to Stalham. It has been a wonderful mini break. The weather has been perfect, we stayed at three great moorings, met some lovely people (yes, that even includes Doug ;) )  and so glad we made a spur of the moment decision on Thursday morning to go. Thanks go to Selsie’s boss for giving him the time off at very short notice.

We noted all the fuel stations on the way back home were either closed or huge queues (inc Tesco Stalham).

I  start a new job a week on Monday and we now have the task of putting in a new calorifier and have also decided on changing all of the water pipes and fittings so no idea when we will be out on the rivers again at this point but looking forward to some winter cruising this year.  

FA7E32C1-FB94-4A57-BFC8-338314439C84.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

8th October.

After a very intensive first week at the new job, my brain couldn’t take anymore so looking at the weather forecast we packed the car and arrived at the marina late afternoon. Took Luna for a pump out and water then back to our mooring.  

9th October 

After a lot of investigation we think we don’t need a new calorifier and it’s just the pressure cap causing the leak. New one now on order and left the marina around 8.30.  Moored up for the rest of the day on we are calling ‘Luna’s Lay-by’ (Barton Turf Staithe) where I’m sitting on the back of the boat in the lovely warm sunshine. Bliss 😊

59360D01-AEFD-4AD5-BFA4-E11695AB2FB9.png

5F529AD8-60D9-4C0F-B439-10142B312F83.jpeg

AD729656-81CF-4216-8FFE-84B97D5BFC50.jpeg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, BrundallNavy said:

You might want to bring so bigger fenders the back corner of your boat was very close to the key heading.  

We have moved one post up now so not right on that corner :) 

• Like 1

New jobs are a bit taxing, aren’t they. I feel completely discombobulated, definitely mind weary from trying to take in lots of new information. I’ve not even switched employers, but my new Unit (Business Development) use almost a different language to the Faculty that I’ve worked in for over 25 years. 

• Like 2

Although I’m back behind a desk again which wasn’t what I intended to do, I’m in a totally different sector to any previous jobs so a lot to learn and take in. Thankfully, I’m not doing the hours I used to do. 25 hours a week finishing at 1.30 most days. 

• Like 4

That sounds good…work life balance is what it’s all about. I’ve managed to negotiate working my normal 74 hour fortnight into 9 days instead of 10. Spreading out the extra hours from the 10th day across 9 doesn’t make that much difference to the working day, and I get every other Friday off. Yay! This weekend has been one of my long ones. Lovely!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thursday 11th November 2021

left for Norfolk at 2.00pm after work and had a brilliant run and arrived at the marina at 3.15. Sadly now the clocks have changed by the time we had got all our stuff onboard it was too late to go out. Had a terrible nights sleep. The wind, which wasn’t that strong just seemed to make everything clank and creak in the marina. 

Friday 12th Nov

We left the marina at 8.10. The weather was dry to start but overcast.  Tucked Desmond into his cruising fleece then added another blanket on top. The changing scenery was lovely even in the dull weather.  2 private boats passed us on the whole of the Ant.  Irstead had one private boat on it. How Hill also only one and a couple at Ludham. What a difference a few weeks makes.  Ludham Bridge was the tightest we’ve been under so but thankfully didn’t need to take down the screen as by this time a steady drizzle was falling.   We put the little 12v fan on aimed at the screen. Wonderful bit of kit and soon gets rid of the condensation.   

Our intention had been to go to Potter but with the recent flooding decided not to risk it and chose  Horning instead.  The strength of the tide rather surprised me as we turned right out of The Ant as Luna almost came to a stop and I thought something was wrong.   Horning staithe had a couple of free spaces and that was us for the day arriving around 10.45.  

A fellow forum member,  Kpnut , recognised Luna from Luna’s Log and we had a lovely chat and discussed the tricky free moorings at Stokesby.  So reassuring we aren’t the only ones to make a complete pig’s ear of it! 

We got cake and sausage and bacon rolls from the shop near The Swan. Love the bell system you can hear from the boat when your order is ready. 

We’ve seen a few private boats, a few day boats , 2 Bridgecrafts and about 4 Herbert Woods , a sailie and some very diddy sailies at the club. It’s very strange seeing all the busy places so empty.  Photos aren’t particularly good as the weather was so dismal with a bit of blue sky this afternoon.  

951F0088-6683-4B4D-BDA6-0421E80C7AF5.jpeg

BF20EE14-5F59-425C-81FA-A91E8F61FE7C.jpeg

C23CA465-451F-4522-9F61-E19C2903BE4E.jpeg

AFB7C8B1-3141-4FFA-9641-300B3FB29D49.png

FC4494F5-69E5-4C46-8C2E-FE1FEFA0B939.png

401A4507-5643-4ECC-9B56-0659BD113F9D.jpeg

969D3E81-D53F-46CA-9FF1-8D15E3A12021.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Potter the other week  was very busy.The other day very quiet. Even Bridge  stones  was quiet. Lots of free tables. Hope your not to cold.

We are toasty warm. :)  Hooked up to the electric with our oil heaters but also now we have our diesel heater installed (which we didn’t get much of a chance to use last year)  so not reliant on electric posts. 

Just a warning for anyone getting on the Horning staithe, the quay heading is incredibly slippery 

• Like 2

Lovely meeting you Sam and hubby (?, I am very sorry I didn't get your name) and Desmond. I've been re-reading your log about Desmond's first experiences on the boat. Finlay springer took to it immediately when 4 months old. Now nearly 4, he has developed a now ingrained habit of wanting to bring me a toy/slipper etc as soon as we set off. Never bothers the rest of the time, just lies on sofa watching me or nodding off! And stays lying there while I moor up, although I used to tie him on a line attached to the sunroof handle and now try to remember to shut the door when I shoot out to grab a rope.

Nice and snug here at Neatishead on electric. I've decide it's cheaper to use electric heater than the diesel heater with the price of diesel at the moment and the fact you have a pound to use up anyway. 

Hopefully we'll meet again, I intend being on the boat regularly over the winter, even Christmas if I can persuade hubby and family, and I look forward to meeting others in the forum too. 

Kate and Finlay on Springer's Retreat (ex Richardson's orange bathtub!)

• Like 3