Oulton Week

JennyMorgan

I was crewing on passage from N Laoghaire to Milford Haven (Pembroke Docks) during the 79 Hurricane. It was very rough and we cut short the passage and landed at Fishguard due to the complexity of navigation around St David's Head and Wooltack point with their off lying islands. The conditions were very bad but our Contessa 32 never gave us a moments worry. It was owned by a London Dental Surgeon and we were bringing her back from Ireland following his holiday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Yes  if you read the recent RNLI article, the lack of radios was a factor in the loss of life in that yachts couldn't be found despite the massive rescue operation.

Very true but you have to remember 50 years ago there were no Chinese electronics churning them out for £100.

Most boats I sailed on, if big enough had Sailor Equipment which were well built mostly in Scandinavia but very expensive.

I relied on my offshore pack of parachute flare for years but when I got my first Westerly bought a seafarer echo sounder, Radio direction finder and their Seavoice VHF.

220px-Maritime_VHF_Sailor_RT144.jpeg

RT2048_46.jpg

• Like 5