Bet No One Will Get This One..

JawsOrca

9 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Alan, 

as i posted before, trying to get Karen into a canoe would be like trying to get blood out of a stone. One of my colleagues at work is into Kayaking, and has a two man sit on. He`s offered me the chance to go on a paddle with him and some of his group, so will probably take him up on it. Sadly though, it`s down here and not the Broads.

Certainly jump in if you can, we are so enjoying this and really are out every weekend at present, I'm certainly wish I started years ago. You may find a sit on Kayak is more stable than the canoes and you will find singles available to hire on the broads too if you do fancy it or want to continue..   Personally I like the tradition feel of the canoes and we got some lovely timber paddles, I can also paddle ours on my own too but certainly go for it! 

• Like 2

Alan have you watched any of this YouTube channel? Someone on here put me onto this one ... Simon, A Bloke in the Woods. He's got some videos on the Broads, some walking in North Norfolk and some are about general camping skills. Really enjoyed his trip this summer to Sweden, would highly recommend this if you get the chance to watch it.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 07:01, SwanR said:

Alan have you watched any of this YouTube channel? Someone on here put me onto this one ... Simon, A Bloke in the Woods. He's got some videos on the Broads, some walking in North Norfolk and some are about general camping skills. Really enjoyed his trip this summer to Sweden, would highly recommend this if you get the chance to watch it.

Hi Jean, (Sorry for the delay I thought I posted a reply but it seems something didn't stick!)  Certainly have! we are avid watchers, I think watching these was part of getting us into the canoes. He seems to be a local and does lots of his videos on the top end of the waveney (I've worked out where his island is now too :) ) That sweden trip looks fun too, I think they picked the wrong time of the year though, didn't it snow in the end!

There sadly seems a limited number of canoe channels we watch another few from canada's algonquin park but hope overtime more get added. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

There sadly seems a limited number of canoe channels we watch another few from canada's algonquin park but hope overtime more get added. :)

Hi Alan,

When i worked in Toronto for 4 1/2 months in 96, we had a Sunday off (worked 7 days a week for the whole time), so drove up to Algonquin Park, and hired some canoes. There were 6 of us, so we hired 3 and paddled a 25 mile circular route. Some portageing and bear avoidance was necessary, and i had a cold, but by god it was brilliant, and i`d happily fly over there again to do a weeks holiday there. And do a lot of canoeing as well.

The only other day we had off was another Sunday, where we drove round Lake Ontario (a bit  bigger than Breydon Water) and went to Niagara Falls. What a disappointment that was, all "kiss me quick hats and cheap tacky hotels". At least i can say " been there, seen it, done it, bought the Tshirt (although NOT the Tshirt, i bought that from Algon Park).

I did take loads of photo`s from Algon Park, but over the last 20+ years have lost them, which is a great shame, as they would be happy memories, plus, i think you would have enjoyed them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

I forgot to say, the place where hired the canoes from had absolutely everything you would need from canoes to toilet rolls. They could do a complete, and i mean complete and VERY comprehensive package, where you turn up with your basic clothes, and nothing else, your canoes would be ready and packed, with ALL camping gear, cooking gear, food, Even some clothing if required, along with well presented route planners for various activities and route plans.  

I`ll take a look at Google satelite view and see if i can remember the place, and let you know.

• Thanks 1

@BroadsAuthority Tom (et al)..

I've got a new book (Canoe on the broads) and I spotted that the Ellingham portage has been a bit of an issue for some time... (I guess it's a valid point being right below the weir there).. But this EDP https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/portage-on-waveney-canoe-trail-not-likely-in-time-for-summer-1-5353257 mentions hope was happening last year.. Do you know if there's any updates? Thanks in advance :)