Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow...

YnysMon

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

HPC want to keep the syndicate boats together to make it easier for turnaround servicing etc.  Where we are now was always a temporary mooring whilst they made arrangements to move a couple of boats and clear a suitable space.

Malcolm that is my understanding of the current plan for the marina, we have a option on the new moorings when & if planning permission is granted, there has been an objection from one of the houses that uses the gravel roadway for access.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Malcolm that is my understanding of the current plan for the marina, we have a option on the new moorings when & if planning permission is granted, there has been an objection from one of the houses that uses the gravel roadway for access.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, I tried googling to find out what plans HPC have in store, but haven’t managed to find anything so far. Can you enlighten us? 

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hi Alan, I tried googling to find out what plans HPC have in store, but haven’t managed to find anything so far. Can you enlighten us? 

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hello Helen, the plan as I understand it. is to remove all the vegetation and dilapidated buildings down to the river entrance. Where we are moored on the gravel roadway is then to be extended with more finger pontoons almost down to the river.

Maybe Clive could update us with the plan? 

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

The plans look quite extensive. As well as the extension to the basin at the river end, they are also planning to demolish existing buildings and extend the basin at the other end as well as a new reception, new workshop, new wetshed. As Matt says the plans are on the BA planning portal.

https://planning.broads-authority.gov.uk/PublicAccessDocs/planningdocs.aspx?appType=Development Control&appNumber=BA/2021/0456/FUL

• Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Only two sleeps to go!…to our next jaunt on Moonlight Shadow. Amazingly both our sons have decided to join us this time, which I’m absolutely delighted about.

Graham set off early this morning to Bournemouth to pick up our younger son from Bournemouth, where he’s been living this past year. He’s brought so much stuff home with him though. We have no hope of sorting that lot out tomorrow as packing for our holiday will have to take priority.

• Like 4

Enjoy, Helen, I know how much it means to have your grown up children with you. Mine are both in there twenties now and both have been coming since they were toddlers. Somehow it seems extra special they choose to come of there own free will, so to speak.

• Thanks 1

When your grown up children stop coming you have a peaceful lull, then grandchildren start to come and the peace and quiet disappears :default_pirate:

We have two up for a week aged 13 and 8, two days to rebuild and then the other two aged 11 and 15 arrive for a week.

We will make the most of it as too soon the cycle will turn and they won't want to come to stay.

They are good fun to have but it is always nice to hand them back.

Unfortunately we have to fly a large pink pirate flag when they are onboard.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Unfortunately we have to fly a large pink pirate flag when they are onboard.

We’ll at least all the NBN members reading this now know how to spot you! Not that your boat isn’t distinctive as it is. 

• Haha 1

Those of you whose children/grandchildren still want to spend time on the boat, make the most of it. Both our kids and grandkids have outgrown it now and we miss them. especially the grandkids when they were little they were so much fun. Fond memories of Mollie aged about 4 at the helm  of our Fairline Mirage and making a pretty good fist of it {with Granddad's surreptitious supervision} waving enthusiastically to passing craft. It seemed as  if one minute we were shopping in Toys R Us and the next we were springing for prom dresses!

Csarole

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

My two aren't exactly kids any longer. They're 31 and 29, but they still love messing about in a dinghy. It's a wonder they still want to come with us on a holiday.

Hi Helen my eldest son 40 this October wife and grandson are coming to the boat during my allocation from 30th August my youngest son now 37 would rather do anything than be on a boat, not even the temptation of having nothing to pay could temp him.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

My  daughter is 57 and my 2 granddaughters 26and 23 respectively. I stopped counting my birthdays a very long time ago! I think the peace and tranquility that often comes as part and parcel of boating  and which we love translates as terminal boredom to them,

Carole.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, addicted said:

Those of you whose children/grandchildren still want to spend time on the boat, make the most of it. Both our kids and grandkids have outgrown it now and we miss them. especially the grandkids when they were little they were so much fun. Fond memories of Mollie aged about 4 at the helm  of our Fairline Mirage and making a pretty good fist of it {with Granddad's surreptitious supervision} waving enthusiastically to passing craft. It seemed as  if one minute we were shopping in Toys R Us and the next we were springing for prom dresses!

Csarole

Couldnt agree more Carole, where do those years go? We cant wait for our first holiday with our 2 grandkids on Moonlight Shadow in August, then a more slightly relaxing cruise in september with our son.!    

Kevin

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Helen my eldest son 40 this October wife and grandson are coming to the boat during my allocation from 30th August my youngest son now 37 would rather do anything than be on a boat, not even the temptation of having nothing to pay could temp him.

Regards

Alan

Funny how different the kids can be. My daughter, 35 used to hire with me and now her husband and she really enjoy taking the boat out themselves. I’m sure if/when they have children, they’ll make a lot of lovely memories on the Broads. 
But my son, 29, who loves outdoor activities and the environment in general, fellwalking, skiing, mountain biking, kayaking etc etc and even getting into gardening with some help from me, just hasn’t found a love for the boat. He came with me once on a hire boat, didn’t even want to take the helm although he loves driving, spent a lot of his time drawing and painting, but not the scenes he was passing and doesn’t feel the need to repeat the experience, even when a freebie is involved. 
Can’t win them all!

• Like 3