• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

YnysMon

Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow...

I hope no one will take any offence, but I thought I would comment a little on the wildlife snaps!!

The first one on Tue 12th is presumably by Hardley Flood and is of a Little Egret - I cannot see its feet but they should be yellow. If it had been bigger, it would probably have been a Great Egret - the latter are now more common but there indeed are lots of the Little Egrets around and they breed regularly in Broadland. Had you seen either a few years ago you would have been lucky - more evidence of climate change to those unbelievers!

You are also right about the Little Grebe - again this time of year there are lots about on the river. It is a relatively shy bird you hardly ever see in summer as they brood and rear their chicks on the drains in the marshes but about October, out they come onto the main rivers and on a good day in the the winter, you can often see quite a few.

Bit worried though about your "moorhen" on the next morning though!! Most likely a hen pheasant or possibly even a chicken but definitely not a moorhen - they are smaller and have feet with a type of web on them to aid swimming and that certainly does not have that!!

• Like 1

Thanks Marshman. Always helpful to have the info...as you will have guessed I’m not that confident at identifying birds.

:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks Marshman. Always helpful to have the info...as you will have guessed I’m not that confident at identifying birds

Not me Hells Bells, I love identifying and then handling birds :default_norty:

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Oh thank you!

Just messing MM, I'm sure a caravan looking like your boat would look great really, you could be confident that noone comes along and Nyx it :default_coat:

Park it somewhere green, and no-one would be able to find it to nick.

4 hours ago, Regulo said:

Park it somewhere green, and no-one would be able to find it to nick.

4 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Do you think anyone would even try to find it? :default_biggrin:

John, with friends like these, you don`t need enemies :default_laugh:

14 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

John, with friends like these, you don`t need enemies :default_laugh:

Nah much love to MnM :default_biggrin:

He makes us all feel better about ourselves....... Erm...I mean, our boats :default_blush:

Jay...behave! I know it’s Christmas (well not yet for most of us) and it’s gone to your head...but.

:default_hiding:

Love reading this and Lunas Log over the last couple of weeks as we ready ourselves for our first trip on Moonlight Shadow on 7th December and doing lots of research on the southern broads as we have tended to visit the Northern Broads more in the past as hirers, albeit we have visited the south a number of times before

I travel to Nigeria with work first (its currently 34C there) and get back on 5th December before a complete change in temperature and environment when we get to the broads.................and we cant wait

Dont think we will be going far on our first week as its a "get to know you" trip but thanks for the great posts and pictures

I have attached a few pictures we took when we met Steve and Debs and had a run to Rockland St Mary and lunch at the New Inn (and saw Mouldy on Norfolk Lady)

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSCPDC_0003_BURST20191020143649612_COVER.JPG

• Like 5

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Jay...behave! I know it’s Christmas (well not yet for most of us) and it’s gone to your head...but.

:default_hiding:

I tried behaving once Hells Bells. Terribly boring 5 minutes, never to be repeated.

:default_xmas2:

Awwww Helen I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up on both your trips, I really enjoyed the churches so never apologise for that, plus what I have found interesting is the walks you have done. We don't have a pooch so tend to be so very lazy when afloat but we really should get off and walk about as I get a bit poorly by the end of a week of indulgent eating and drinking without moving much lol. 

I'm glad you are loving life with Moonlight Shadow :default_wub:

• Like 2

Jay, I’ve been meaning to ask this question for a while...(will anyone bet I’ll regret it?)...what’s with the ‘Hells Bells’?
Suppose I must have been called worse once or twice...

:default_sad:

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Jay, I’ve been meaning to ask this question for a while...(will anyone bet I’ll regret it?)...what’s with the ‘Hells Bells’?

I don’t think Jay is referring to you Helen! Hell’s bells and buckets of blood is a saying from way back, probably something to do with our seafaring nation. :default_swordpir:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Fireman Sam's mind works in mysterious ways Helen, its wonders to perform!!!  :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Fireman Sam's mind works in mysterious ways

It works???????? :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

I think he has little kinda pet names for us all doesn't he lol, he makes a point of spelling my name in some crazy ways but I don't mind, all good fun :default_drink_2:

• Like 2

maybe you should all have a pet name for him too (though it would probably make him think he was far more important than he really is) how about fido

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It seemed much more polite than Smelly Helly :default_biggrin:

Sorry Helen, as always I never meant any offence, just one of my quirks

5 hours ago, vanessan said:

I don’t think Jay is referring to you Helen! Hell’s bells and buckets of blood is a saying from way back, probably something to do with our seafaring nation. :default_swordpir:

I guess you'd know all about that Mrs V, just how "way back" do you go??? :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

It works???????? :default_biggrin:

In it's own way :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, hazelgirl said:

I think he has little kinda pet names for us all doesn't he lol, he makes a point of spelling my name in some crazy ways but I don't mind, all good fun :default_drink_2:

Spot on Lynzeeeeeeeeeee, that's one more correct answer than you'll get in the quiz I reckon.

And what do you mean crazy ways??? I know how you spell Lindszy :facepalm:

Merry Christmas Everyone :default_xmas2:

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

I guess you'd know all about that Mrs V, just how "way back" do you go??? :default_biggrin:

A looong looong way! (Sadly.) 😢

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Spot on Lynzeeeeeeeeeee, that's one more correct answer than you'll get in the quiz I reckon.

And what do you mean crazy ways??? I know how you spell Lindszy :facepalm:

Merry Christmas Everyone :default_xmas2:

Oh we shall see very soon Mr Fire

12 hours ago, hazelgirl said:

Oh we shall see very soon Mr Fire

Well???? :default_rofl: