Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow...

YnysMon

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks Jean. Graham though it might be something to do with fishing.

Vanessan, yes Caister is generally safe for dog walks. We daren’t allow Seren off the lead anywhere near cars, but once we are out of sight of the Caister car park she’s fine, either on the beach or the dunes to the south of the car park. However, you do need to check whether the lifeboat is out, as they use large tractor type vehicles to launch both lifeboats. I took some pictures of those in November - see a few pages back on this thread.

Helen

Thank you for that info Helen - very useful. Anywhere near cars is a no-no for us too but the dunes would be good. We go to Winterton sometimes, excellent dune walking there too. 

Thursday 13th February

I really should not have gone to bed so early yesterday. I woke around 3am this morning and could not get back to sleep. It didn’t help that a hoolie blew up around 4am and then heavy rain. It sounded quite as rough as Sunday morning with the start of storm Ciara, except that the boat didn’t bash against the key heading as the wind was from the opposite direction, blowing us off the mooring. She did bob about more though. Seren started whining around 6am. She didn’t like the wind noise either.

The rain dried up after 7am, and it started brightening up. It was still pretty rough though, the wind whipping up the river into waves.

IMG_20200213_1515.thumb.jpg.a5624e36b47e5f356860f4e7f712d52d.jpg

Just after 8.30 I got a message that an engineer was on his way to pick up the heater and should be with us within the hour. He was quicker than that, and by 9.30 we had the heater re-installed. By now the wind had dropped and we had sun and blue sky, despite the forecast for heavy rain. We decided to make the most of it and made our way upriver, as far as Whitlingham (as reported above). Shortly after setting off, at the bend of the river past our mooring, we saw an otter.

Wood End.

IMG_20200213_1535.thumb.jpg.48c66401b89f2b3b84b70c9a71a037f8.jpg

IMG_20200213_1534.thumb.jpg.f2b5de4d1d2838013dfe493cc2ede516.jpg

We saw no other craft on the river apart from a barge that had passed to and fro of our mooring earlier, a lot of rowers with their training boats on the stretch up to Whitlingham and, shortly before we left the mooring, a ranger’s boat.

IMG_20200213_1544.thumb.jpg.3f2b9683170b55003f881b1c9ce54ac5.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, when we got to Whitlingham Graham took Seren out whilst I cooked up brunch. I don’t normally post pictures of our brunches, but Malcolm had set the standard! Yum.

IMG_20200213_130337903.jpg.640ebb377bb4162a3588840b9e744adf.jpg

It had started raining whilst we had our brunch, but that dried up by the time we were passing under the Postwick Viaduct on our way back. Shortly after that we spotted another otter.

IMG_20200213_1547.thumb.jpg.4d70ed68ed535c5cfca79f1a71b7b4c0.jpg

Just before the bend for Brundall we spotted a couple of tree surgeons (?) cutting back a tree, then a bit further on the barge that we had spotted earlier was loading up cut branches. Quite a lot of tree clearing going on then. 😊

IMG_20200213_1567.thumb.jpg.31238df1733aaaf8a9c9c35f2903fcf8.jpg

We got back around three and had a mostly quiet evening, though Graham made the mistake of going to Sainsbury’s at Thorpe St Andrew just after 5pm (rush hour).

IMG_20200213_1572.thumb.jpg.57fdadc776ad1d43516d3a05704a90bf.jpg

We had another relaxing evening, and so did Seren.

IMG_20200213_153502213.jpg.1eac2f163aedd628253e692ecc657c6e.jpg

Due to the 3am wake up, I was really for sleep by 9pm again this evening. Hope I don’t wake so early tomorrow!

• Like 5

Friday 14th February

Our final day, as Graham wanted to go to agility classes with Seren Saturday morning.

Awoke at 5am this morning, a big improvement on yesterday. Once Graham got up, we had a short trip downriver to the BA moorings on Short Dyke via Rockland Broad so that Seren could have a good run around.

Fleet Dyke

IMG_20200214_1584_1.thumb.jpg.270ba686db59262f95d7e3e3b76f774b.jpg

Rockland Broad

IMG_20200214_1584.thumb.jpg.0394fb4efd048178d2802f9fe429ea09.jpg

Short Dyke

IMG_20200214_1599.thumb.jpg.28607fbd3f0a549f39c22c95ec386ba8.jpg

Unfortunately, this week the Brooms fuel quay was out of action as they were replacing the shed on the quay, so we had to find another place to re-fuel and get a pump-out. Silverline and Swancraft had been suggested. Before we left Short Dyke, I tried phoning Swancraft, but as there was no answer, I tried Silverline. The lady that answered said she would have to ask someone and took my phone number. We waited around for a while, but then started off back toward Brundall without having had a call-back. I was getting a bit worried that the wind was picking up again, and I was worried enough about going up an unfamiliar narrow dyke lined with other boats without having to contend with the wind as well.

As we still hadn’t heard back from Silverline, I tried Swancraft again, this time successfully. Jay had thoughtfully provided me with a map; however, I almost went past the Silverline basin. I managed to manoeuvre in okay though. They were expecting us and helped with our lines. Very friendly couple. They even got the water hose out so that we could refill our water (otherwise we would have had another tricky operation getting down a dyke to the only 'winter' water point available Brooms). 

I was expecting to pay more per litre for fuel, as we normally get a discount from Brooms, but we were surprised at how much fuel we had apparently used. We paid as much as we did at the end of our August week, despite not travelling far and not being able to use the heating for two days whilst it was fixed.

I was too cautious reversing out of Swancraft and made things difficult for myself. I should have reversed out further. Still, we didn’t hit any other boats and once we were out in the dyke again it was plain sailing, or it would have been if getting back on our mooring hadn’t been slightly tricky. I aborted the first try as the wind and tide were both pushing my stern out (should have reminded Graham to tie up the stern first).

By this time, it was almost mid-day. Shortly after we arrived back, I had a call from Silverline explaining that they couldn’t do a re-fuel for us as they had no room on their quay. So, it’s lucky that I managed to get hold of Swancraft!

Rather than have lunch we decided to just get on with cleaning the boat.

As we were cleaning, we noticed the barge with the tree cutting equipment coming around the corner. It started clearing away dead/cut wood from the bank opposite.

IMG_20200214_1603.thumb.jpg.aebab2a15e931c4bd0e321791945d5ce.jpg

We left the boat about 3pm and made our way to Wroxham to hand the key back to the BCBM agent. 

In the blog from earlier in the week I mentioned that the door key cut by Timpson’s in Sainsbury’s didn’t work. We got a refund and got the (excellently stocked and friendly) hardware store in Brundall to cut one for us instead.

A very late lunch/early dinner was had at the Station Smokehouse in Wroxham. We had a platter for one of brisket, pork belly, chips, corn cob, coleslaw and beans between us. The meat was beautifully tender and we enjoyed out meal. The portion was plenty for the two of us.

And then we got on our way home. Here's a final glimpse of Wroxham as we crossed the bridge.

IMG_20200214_162947177_HDR.jpg.da4f4917205d86debb73fcc7ed149433.jpg

It’s been a mixed bag of a week, what with storm Ciara and the heater playing up, but we have enjoyed it. Very relaxing (apart from the trip up to Swancraft!). Just what we needed.

• Like 7

Hi David...obviously not, I can’t resist either.

OBB- I had a lovely and apologetic phone call from the guy who forgot about the cleaning. He didn’t move the boat, at all, fished during the day, pub in the evenings and used an electric heater. So,I’m sure he didn’t use any fuel.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Am I the only one who, even after being on the boat for a week, still insists on squinting over Wroxham Bridge as I drive home, as if I'd never seen the place before? 

No you're not the only one, David, I do that as well if I'm going that route. Usually my last look at the rivers (and my first on the outward journey) is crossing Postwick Viaduct on the A47. I try and glance across there also.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Am I the only one who, even after being on the boat for a week, still insists on squinting over Wroxham Bridge as I drive home, as if I'd never seen the place before? 

Nope! Selsie usually does the driving and I always peer over to have a look as we cross, and also on the A47 towards Brundall. I dont know what boat yard it is there on the left under the bridge that I always  gawp at. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

No you're not the only one, David, I do that as well if I'm going that route. Usually my last look at the rivers (and my first on the outward journey) is crossing Postwick Viaduct on the A47. I try and glance across there also.

Same here, Wroxham Bridge then Postwick Viaduct. Seems a lot of us just can’t let go! 

• Like 5

We’ve experienced the same issue with fuel on MS as far as cost is concerned.  We had a short break last February and hardly used the the heating due to it not working and stayed on the southern rivers, than when we went north in April, covered more miles and used the heating more and paid less for fuel. 

I’m not entirely convinced that uniform standards are applied when refuelling at Brooms to be honest.  

Paul at Swancraft is very helpful.   He has given us loads of good advise since we bought Norfolk Lady and his standards of workmanship are second to none.

• Like 4

Proceeding West on the A47 Postwick Viaduct I always glance left at the sewage works outfall and hope there is not too much foam.

Given the vast amount of building around Norwich and indeed the Northern Broads I do worry that one day one of the many sewage works around The Broads will be overloaded during a "Monsoon" and have no alternative but to pump raw as seen on a number of other river systems.

2 hours ago, Lulu said:

Nope! Selsie usually does the driving and I always peer over to have a look as we cross, and also on the A47 towards Brundall. I dont know what boat yard it is there on the left under the bridge that I always  gawp at. 

Hi Sam, if I'm not much mistaken that's Sheerline you can see from the viaduct and if you look carefully at the boats moored on the river front you should be able to spot Hot Gossip still  awaiting a  buyer. At least I hope she is still there and not , as Tony speculated. on her way to Reedham courtesy of all the high winds we have had lately!

Carole

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ooh, ChrisB! How can you insinuate sewage onto my holiday thread. Yuk! :default_eusa_naughty:

Hope it doesn’t happen though. Brundall might become a bit smelly. :default_icon_wave:

The people that planned out Milton Keynes thoughtfully placed the sewage works not far from junction 14 of the M1. Just where we normally get off the M1 to go home. In summer that’s the ‘welcoming’ smell we get when we are almost back home. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, addicted said:

Hi Sam, if I'm not much mistaken that's Sheerline you can see from the viaduct and if you look carefully at the boats moored on the river front you should be able to spot Hot Gossip still  awaiting a  buyer. At least I hope she is still there and not , as Tony speculated. on her way to Reedham courtesy of all the high winds we have had lately!

Thank you Carole.  Every time we drive over, I always say I wonder what yard it is. Hope you get a buyer for that beautiful boat soon. 

• 7 months later...

Just in case I forget to post tomorrow evening, we are back on Moonlight Shadow on Saturday, and for a whole fortnight! (I’m so glad we gave up our summer June allocation to do some other syndicate members a favour...hasn’t that worked out well for us! Who says good deeds don’t get rewarded.)

I’m not the best at posting when we are on the Broads, so watch this space in early October for the tale, though I might post the occasional photo in the meantime.

Tomorrow evening (after finishing work) I’ll be feeling like this...

:55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

and like this...

:default_eusa_dance:

and probably like this (once packing is done)
:default_beerchug:

:default_stinky:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Looks wonderful Malcolm. Just hope the weather holds! We are expecting a mixed bag of good and not so good weather though. Just looking forward to being on the rivers again and relaxing. Also...looking forward to being offline. That’s a legacy of home working!

• Like 1