Radio Norfolk Now

RumPunch

I do get, it especially when a large wash hits moored boats. Some boats are affected more by this, to a certain extent it depends where you moor? 

I find on the northern rivers our boat dose not tend to rock too violently, where I see others do when a boat producing a large wash goes by. It’s my Parents pass time to shout at these folks to slow down, as it can be the damage that is done to some of the biodegradable woodies. This is made worse on the southern rivers at low tide where there is a load more bank exposed. 

Anyway, not sure who it was, but back in July on a similar thread someone suggested to download a free app, available both for ISO and Android, called Aweigh. It’s accuracy with regards to speed (via GPS) I’m sure will raise an eyebrow for some, but I must say I found it a good guide, humbling to know that I have never been too far out by the “watching behind me” method. There is some useful tide information on the app too, so you can plan your days never fighting the tide. It’s amazing just how much fuel we didn’t use during our two weeks up there, from Wroxham did all of the south, plus most of the north excluding the river Ant and back to Wroxham on 12 gallons of fuel. 

Its worth having a look at the app, of course you do not need to have it running all the time so data should never be a worry. Once you’re tides are known, set your speed, I still check over my shoulder, and off you go. I’m quite sure it is something the yards could suggest could be used during the hand over? 

Cheers

Paul 

I seriously considered that if the tide was flowing too fast that it would be better to turn early, and reverse down through the bridge by adjusting the revs to be less than the tidal flow, this way you are not being swept down uncontrolled as you will maintain steerage way. you would need a good rearward view.

• Thanks 1

There seems to be (judging from earlier comments) belief that this thread is about speeding. I believe it to be about excessive speeding, that which causes damage to the banks, wildlife etc and could be dangerous to moored boats and people. Remember, there are elderly folk and young families that use the waterways. It needs to be safe for all. 

• Like 3

there are degrees to all excesses, speeding slightly and getting away with it leads to pushing the limit a bit more, ad infinitum, until maximum speed is reached.

its the attitude that such is acceptable that needs to be changed not gps apps or anything else, its the must go faster mentality, for most of us the broads is a place to rest and relax, so the need for speed is not there.

• Like 1

I think it also needs to be remembered that speed limits on The Broads are just that, maximum speed, not a target to aim for. It is very noticeable when sitting outside The Lord Nelson at Reedham, the game that some people play with the rangers there. Many a time you see a boat and if I'm honest, it's normally the privateers, punching the tide and creating a wash. As soon as they are told to slow down by the ranger, they immediately point to the dash and say they are only doing 4, or 4.5 mph. They already have their defence ready and are expecting to be told to slow down, and you can tell resent it. Yet if they are doing 4mph against the tide, they are creating a significant wash and do need to be told to slow down a fraction. 2.5 or 3mph if pushing the tide through Reedham is no real problem, just takes you a little longer, or the alternative is to plan your cruising better with the tides.

• Like 1

As it has already been pointed out, many know nothing or are aware of the wash their boats produce and it’s affect on others, trying to get everywhere in a week or two, add to that, again what has already been stated about lack of instruction on hire and day boat hand over, attitude is hard to change with a minority of the I’m alright jack lot, so to mitigate an issue, start with what can be accomplished? 

As much as we would all like it to be this, issue will never be completely eradicated, mitigated maybe?

Cheers

Paul 

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:20, vanessan said:

There seems to be (judging from earlier comments) belief that this thread is about speeding. I believe it to be about excessive speeding, that which causes damage to the banks, wildlife etc and could be dangerous to moored boats and people. Remember, there are elderly folk and young families that use the waterways. It needs to be safe for all. 

Personally I like to respect the river banks, moored boats, wildlife around me and while cruising for example to PH bridge or Neatishead, my engine goes to near enough slumber mode. Unfortunately for some holiday makers they have only 2 speeds, idle or full on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I try to plan my journeys around the tides. For instance this week I went south aka “the dark side” (only kidding🤡) Sometimes the tides are convenient and sometimes, usually the return journey not so convenient. For instance travelling outbound slack water at Yarmouth was 15.30’ish. Convenient. Travelling back I left the Berney Arms at 06.15 for slack + 1 hour at Yarmouth. Not so convenient, but really quiet and so good running with the tide. I wasn’t passed and didn’t pass any boats heading north, but loads were heading south against a strong tide. The wash hitting my hull was enough to wet the decks and windows. Where I could I turned into the wash to ease the splashes. I suppose you can’t always plan to travel with the tide, but it’s great when you can.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluebell said:

I try to plan my journeys around the tides. For instance this week I went south aka “the dark side” (only kidding🤡) Sometimes the tides are convenient and sometimes, usually the return journey not so convenient. For instance travelling outbound slack water at Yarmouth was 15.30’ish. Convenient. Travelling back I left the Berney Arms at 06.15 for slack + 1 hour at Yarmouth. Not so convenient, but really quiet and so good running with the tide. I wasn’t passed and didn’t pass any boats heading north, but loads were heading south against a strong tide. The wash hitting my hull was enough to wet the decks and windows. Where I could I turned into the wash to ease the splashes. I suppose you can’t always plan to travel with the tide, but it’s great when you can.

Whenever we've been on Lightning, we always seem to get weeks where the tides are not favourable, so end up having to punch somewhere. I absolutely detest punching the ebb on Breydon, it has taken well over a hour at times, and hammers the fuel consumption as well as the engine. Therefore, if we have to, I prefer to punch the back half of the easier neap flood on Breydon, giving us the flood up the Bure through Gt Yarmouth. My second preference is to cross Breydon (heading North) at the beginning of the ebb, then punching the beginning of the ebb through Gt Yarmouth, which after about 2 miles slows down, meaning much easier cruising. With 6'9"" air draft, Lightning will do the bridges at Gt Yarmouth at ahws with room to spare, albeit not a lot, with exception of high water springs. I often phone the YS to get their advice if unsure.