Water Rail (previously Delight Vii)(Sold)

Water Rail (previously Delight VII) is for sale

It with deep sadness, I have had to make the painful decision to sell Water Rail.

Built by Herbert Woods in 1933 she is 27’ 5” long and will sleep 2 very comfortably, 3 cosily and 4 people with a pinch!

She has been regularly maintained since I took on the custodianship in 2009 having been bought by my father in 1965 when she was taken out of the hire fleet.  A lot of modifications have been undertaken over the last 10 years so she is an enjoyable boat to use either for day trips or overnight. (Please note if you are a tall person this boat was not designed for you!)

A new Nanni Diesel engine was fitted in 1985 but she only has cold water and no heating but a very functional fridge, cooker, invertors for charging minor electrics and shore power.

Although fully maintained, she does continually need more maintenance although I am assured that the hull is currently sound.

If anyone is seriously interested in buying her please send a private message and I can answer any further questions and give an indication of the price that I will accept.

IMGP4563Resized.JPG

IMGP4577Resized.JPG

IMGP4580Resized.JPG

• Sad 6

Id easily say shes one of the nicest woodys on the broads, it always brings a smile to my face seeing her at horning, I jumped aboard when she was at Stalham and still remember doing so, shes certainly full of character and a real proper boat.  If I was in the position I wouldn't hesitate taking over custody. 

Good luck with the transfer.

@Chelsea14Ian @SweetKingfisher1 - Dare you ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

Id easily say shes one of the nicest woodys on the broads, it always brings a smile to my face seeing her at horning, I jumped aboard when she was at Stalham and still remember doing so, shes certainly full of character and a real proper boat.  If I was in the position I wouldn't hesitate taking over custody. 

Good luck with the transfer.

@Chelsea14Ian @SweetKingfisher1 - Dare you ;)

If you think mum and I would consider buying her, then no.Theres no dought she is a lovely boat.As you know I did put a deposit on a wooden boat, then you and mum talked me out of it.If I had the time money, skills I my be tempted.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can only say it has been a horrible decision but based on reality!  She will come with the majority of her fittings which will include crockery (just a few personal things will be removed).  There will always be work to be done and unfortunately, the cockpit covers either need replacing or a good repair!

Thank you to those that have said how lovely she is......................she is!  She has been part of my life for over 50 years!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

She`s a real stunner, but as you say, she MUST go to a new owner who`s prepared to put a lot of continual investment in time and maintainance, which means money. She`s a piece of Broadland history which needs looking after to keep her in mint condition. 

She`s a credit to you, and what you`ve put in to her, so i can well understand how you feel about having to sell her.

Will you keep boating when she`s gone?.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Will you keep boating when she`s gone?.

Oh yes, I will keep the white boat and little dinghy and for the amount of hours I actually get on the water - I could quite easily just hire a boat! A fraction of the cost considering how little time I get to go out on WR - that is half the issue - I don't use her partly because I have so many other commitments!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, w-album said:

Oh yes, I will keep the white boat and little dinghy and for the amount of hours I actually get on the water - I could quite easily just hire a boat! A fraction of the cost considering how little time I get to go out on WR - that is half the issue - I don't use her partly because I have so many other commitments!

Your going to be a bit uncomfortable doing guard boat duties in a dinghy 😊

She is indeed a “Delight” in more ways than one, that is for sure and something of a land mark too.

May be a boatyard would be interested in her for their expanding though small wooden cruiser fleet? It could be an option and one that would keep her in good hands on the water, with the possibility to hire her now and again? Give MBD a call see what they say or even the folks at HW? Though I don’t think she will hang around for sale for too long. 

I really know how you must feel about this but only you know when the time is right. The woodie in our family has been in our custodianship for 35 years since being expelled from the hire fleet in the early 1980s, apparently her class and others, one being an slightly modified Delight and other similar sized 26-28’ cruisers were deemed as too small by Hoseasons and not what customers wanted, Strange how things change, now there is a bit of the hire market wanting this size craft to experience the good old days. 35 years is not the 50 years you mentioned with WR, but long enough for us, for there to be a real bond that spans and has also bonded 4 family generations so far.... it must have been a hard decision. 

Cheers 

Paul 

Edited by PCL023
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, PCL023 said:

May be a boatyard would be interested in her for their expanding though small wooden cruiser fleet? It could be an option and one that would keep her in good hands on the water, with the possibility to hire her now and again? Give MBD a call see what they say or even the folks at HW? Though I don’t think she will hang around for sale for too long. 

Thanks for the suggestions - I will take this also forward if no private buyer is interested.

11 hours ago, w-album said:

You will keep chasing butterflies..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

If anyone out there is thinking about a syndicate ownership....:default_icon_wave:

I don't think syndicate ownership is necessarily right for Water Rail. I think she is a perfect candidate for shared ownership between two or three like minded individuals who are able to bring skills to the table that will secure Water Rail's long term future. There are a number of shared ownership wooden broads cruisers on the Broads that I am aware of (it would be wrong of me to name them but some are forum members so can do so if they so wish) and the result of their efforts have been superb.

With Water Rail's asking price split three ways she would provide a comparatively inexpensive way into owning a traditional boat for those that would love to be involved in these old woodies but find going it alone just that little bit too daunting. 

• Like 6

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 23:11, hazelgirl said:

We were treated to a tour on board this little beauty a couple of years ago at the Beccles Wooden Boat show, what a sweet gem she is, honestly if I had the dollar with a few a side for maintenance this boat would be ours #whenthetimeisntright

Thank you - need to start publicising her sale more effectively this week!