Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

oldgregg

Illegal Drone Flight

Recommended Posts

When you consider the sheer disruption miss use of drones have been responsible for (Gatwick) it is high time things changed to restrict their use but to suggest somebody might be a peeping tom for flying one is well out of order IMO! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Had a bad day have we?   :default_coat:

No, why do people get sarcastic when they can`t accept other peoples view, or disagreement?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

When you consider the sheer disruption miss use of drones have been responsible for (Gatwick) it is high time things changed to restrict their use but to suggest somebody might be a peeping tom for flying one is well out of order IMO! 

I seem to remember the Gatwick incident was brushed under the carpet when it was found out the people arrested were perfectly innocent, and there were even reports that the drone in question was actually a police drone being used to look for hidden evidence?. The last point being backed up when immediately that was let slip, the police dropped the investigation, and no further action was taken.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Oh dear Fred, I seem to have upset you. Can you please explain what you mean by :

 

Not specifically you but anyone filming over private property, even the police in helicopters have been prosecuted for filming unlawfuly 

Fred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think i'll leave my drone in the garage then.

DJI Phantom yes I flown it over the broads years ago.

No I can't check the gutters or roofs on our sites anymore ( easy money) so back to the cherry pickers.

The last upgrade on my software did lock it out at 400 feet, and before you get there you lose site of it and it's silent. Flying is by sight and not video in the rules when I last used it. If you did lose it I justed flicked a switch and it return to me. Which I laugh at on youtube when they film whilst moving because if they logged it at takeoff as home the boat has move and it could land in the river were it took off from.

Rules are out the windows and it's seems to be ok to take a picture in public and there is a group in Leeds do this on a Fri/Sat night round town teaching how to do as part of the walkabout. 

This year they stopped us having to register home cctv which save a few bob but you have to make it available to police if requested.

Quadcopter (not drones!) got a bad name from the start over taking video and hasn't lost it.

Must go Amazon just dropping my parcel on the rear lawn.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I seem to remember the Gatwick incident was brushed under the carpet when it was found out the people arrested were perfectly innocent, and there were even reports that the drone in question was actually a police drone being used to look for hidden evidence?. The last point being backed up when immediately that was let slip, the police dropped the investigation, and no further action was taken.

At the time I had my suspicions it might have had something to do with whoever is trying to sell the detection technology to the Airports! 

Its worrying that thousands of people’s travel plans can be severely disrupted by a drone, Id have been fuming had it affected mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Siddy said:

Think i'll leave my drone in the garage then.

DJI Phantom yes I flown it over the broads years ago.

No I can't check the gutters or roofs on our sites anymore ( easy money) so back to the cherry pickers.

The last upgrade on my software did lock it out at 400 feet, and before you get there you lose site of it and it's silent. Flying is by sight and not video in the rules when I last used it. If you did lose it I justed flicked a switch and it return to me. Which I laugh at on youtube when they film whilst moving because if they logged it at takeoff as home the boat has move and it could land in the river were it took off from.

Rules are out the windows and it's seems to be ok to take a picture in public and there is a group in Leeds do this on a Fri/Sat night round town teaching how to do as part of the walkabout. 

This year they stopped us having to register home cctv which save a few bob but you have to make it available to police if requested.

Quadcopter (not drones!) got a bad name from the start over taking video and hasn't lost it.

Must go Amazon just dropping my parcel on the rear lawn.

 

I don't think anyone wants to stop people enjoying their hobby responsibly or the use of drones or any other piece of equipment for genuine purposes the fire brigade for one have adopted this technology, as with all things there are plenty of opportunities for people to enjoy their hobbies without abusing the law or intruding on others, its the few who want to do as they please regardless of others who necessitate the need for regulation.

Fred

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was once nearly arrested for taking pictures of the sunset, there I was, sat with my camera taking pictures, near a car park, after a while a bunch of cars turns up, then a coach full of kids, kids start disembarking and being handed off to parents, when all of a sudden one parent (off duty policeman) approaches me and tries to tell me I shouldnt be taking pictures of the kids (camera and sunset were not even pointed in their direction). i reply telling him I am taking photos of the sunset.

He then tries to arrest me for photographing the kids. I respond with, OK lets go down the station where they can obtain the necessary paperwork to inspect the images on my camera, as there are none including kids- oh and by the way, when you are proved wrong I want a full public apology and compensation for wrongful arrest, as i am quite within my rights to sit here and take pictures in a public place. 

At this point mr Bully off duty policeman thinks to ask nicely if he can see a sample of the pictures, as I wasnt feeling more than a little aggrieved at this point I turn the camera around and let him see some of my pictures, cue a gruff apology and hasty retreat.

the problem is that some policemen think that because they are policemen they know the law better than the average citizen and can use their status to push others around. (we had similar issues when a policeman moved in next door to my mother in law and put a gate on her access and installed locks on it, he had to be disabused of the fact that as it was a right of access he could not put locks on it) 

in point of fact as it was a public place there was nothing in the world stopping me taking pictures of the people who were there, but as I was aware that they were children I was deliberately avoiding getting them in my pictures (it would have ruined the composition I was trying for anyway), which made the accusation particularly silly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only ever wanted a drone to fly over to my next proposed moorings to see if there was a space! 😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we go full circle back to the BBC news article that started this thread, if you look at the footage posted it all looks fairly innocent. It looks like the drone operator whilst breaking the regulations wasn't trying to be a nuisance or buzz people with the drone or be a general pain in the you know what. I would like to think that the operator did so out of ignorance to the regulations and the possible dangers it could have posed, rather than with an attitude of I know its wrong but I don't care and will do what I want anyway.

However having to take a drone test and register with the CAA should remove any excuse for not being aware of the regulations and dangers and therefore it should reduce any future possible accidental transgressions, which can only be a good thing. Should also reduce the instances where people feel their privacy has been invaded or drones have flown too close whilst on their boat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 08:36, vanessan said:
I only ever wanted a drone to fly over to my next proposed moorings to see if there was a space!

It's funny you should say that... My mates thought that a great idea too.

Let's just say that taking off and landing from a boat that's constantly moving is a complete nightmare - even when you're trying to keep the boat completely stationary - as a drone holds its geographic position perfectly thanks to GPS and various other sensors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of Lord Paul’s friends found that out the hard way. £££ of drone in the Bure somewhere.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm assuming from this thread that if a drone flies over your property, you are legally allowed to take pop shots at it with a shot gun, air pistol, or any other legal fire arm, as I'm sure you have legal rights to above a certain height of your property!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

So I'm assuming from this thread that if a drone flies over your property, you are legally allowed to take pop shots at it with a shot gun, air pistol, or any other legal fire arm, as I'm sure you have legal rights to above a certain height of your property!

Absolutely not. It is illegal in the UK to shoot at any aircraft, this also includes drones.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Absolutely not. It is illegal in the UK to shoot at any aircraft, this also includes drones.
A pet Eagle might work

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/09/2019 at 02:49, Timbo said:

Absolutely not. It is illegal in the UK to shoot at any aircraft, this also includes drones.

how about loosing at them?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 02:49, Timbo said:

Absolutely not. It is illegal in the UK to shoot at any aircraft, this also includes drones.

If I'm a legal owner of a shotgun, I doubt an owner of a drone is going to prosecute me for shooting at his or her drone illegally surveying my property!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

If I'm a legal owner of a shotgun, I doubt an owner of a drone is going to prosecute me for shooting at his or her drone illegally surveying my property!

That depends on the height of the drone above the property I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KaptinKev said:

If I'm a legal owner of a shotgun, I doubt an owner of a drone is going to prosecute me for shooting at his or her drone illegally surveying my property!

The old bill might prosecute for an illegal discharge of a firearm. They would confiscate the shotgun and cancel the licence at the very least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The old bill might prosecute for an illegal discharge of a firearm. They would confiscate the shotgun and cancel the licence at the very least.

NOT to mention "criminal damage with intent". 

Is is it just me, ordid Captain Kev's Post have an unsavoury threatening undertone?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Is is it just me, ordid Captain Kev's Post have an unsavoury threatening undertone?. 

only if you are a drone

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought, as drones have cameras and the person operating that drone is seeing said person with shot gun pointing at it, I think the person flying the drone may want to move away very fast Before he gets blasted out of the sky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.