• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
CapitainFrenchy

Boat Documentation Research F.b Wild Ltd

Hello,

I am looking for documentation on the motorization and more particularly the hydrostatic transmission system of the boats WILD type Calypso-Bermuda-Carribean-Bahama?

Diagrams, plans, nomenclatures or references, and marks of equipment used, to consider using a similar transmission for a riverboat.

Photos or plans scanner, in PdF format of good quality are welcome.

The system is hydraulic not hydrostatic, since it is fluid in motion.

Wilds had some of the first boats with a rear engine, outside the living space, which was made possible by hydraulic drive. Some of their early drives are still going well but they are a bit dated and lose quite a lot of horsepower from the engine. Modern drives are much more efficient and are almost maintenance free.

I suggest you contact Peachments in Brundall, who make and install hydraulic drives.

Hello Vaughan,
  thank you for your reply.
In France, we call these systems hydrostatic, a translation difference can be?
I contact the address you provided me.

1 hour ago, CapitainFrenchy said:

Hello Vaughan,
  thank you for your reply.
In France, we call these systems hydrostatic, a translation difference can be?
I contact the address you provided me.

I was wondering if you had been introduced to these boats on the canals and rivers in France, where they were introduced by Wilds as "Blue Line" in the 1970s. It is said that the commercial success of Blue Line saved the Canal du Midi from being closed in those days. I still know people in the business on the Midi who refer to the old companies of what is now "Le Boat" as "La Blue".

All of the Wilds Bermudas and Caribbeans that I knew in France had Perkins 4108 engines attached to a hydraulic drive. 

As a hire fleet operator I can recommend hydraulic drive. It has a lot of advantages :

No need for shaft alignment to the engine.

A very "soft" gear change which does not damage the flywheel thrust plate.

The ability to put the engine where you want it : it does not have to be "fore and aft" in the centre of the boat.

A pressure relief bypass so there is no damage if the propellor gets fouled.

Almost entire lack of maintenance. You change the oil filter every 2 years and you never have to change the oil, unless it becomes contaminated, through damage.

The disadvantage is that it is expensive to install, compared to the standard "hydro mechanical" gearbox but over the years, "you get what you pay for".

• Like 2

@Chameleon thank you for the link

@Vaughan  Exactly !  it is besides, what I prefer in this system, with precisely its advantages make me choose that.
for the price, I hope DIY ... or search for various documentation

@Vaughan

As a rental fleet operator, what a chance. :default_icon_cool:

are there still wilds in operation in the fleet? some photos to realize the equipment used in the hydraulic installation, help me a lot.:default_smile:

Don't suppose these are much use to you as they show a Nanni installed in a Connoisseur Magnifique.

I presume its hydraulic as the engine is transverse. Maybe a similar sort of set up?

DSC00857a.jpg

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00858.JPG

@webntweb :default_icon_cool:

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
all that is missing is that an owner can scan me a diagram or provide the marks of the original equipment, which I find the current equivalent.
that's great !

Hello, Thanks to you, I found a supplier of equipment for the hydraulic of the Wilds, unfortunately, my email and my request for quotation remain unanswered.