High Tides Predicted

NorfolkNog

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Low water around midday although there's not a lot of variation at Wroxham. 

Just hope Cal can report back!

I wonder if the sluice gates above Coltishall have been opened?? Having said that, there is not a lot of variation between 9am and now along the Thurne. I do think Cal will be ok though, the number of ‘large’ boats from different boatyards on the Ant Thursday and yesterday must mean they’re getting through ok. 

• Like 1

12.30 pm and it is Low Water at Potter Bridge and the gauge is reading 5' 9". 

The river is still ebbing, but, unless the tide is late, within the next half hour or so I would expect to see the gauge reading 5' 6" 

At HW it will probably be reading 5' 5" - two inches lower than at HW yesterday.

• Thanks 1

And I have just now glanced at the Broads tide tables April 2019 - March 2020 produced by the Broads Authority.

It states for PHB HW central clearance normal tide 6ft6" - Really? - we can only wish.  If that was indeed the case (And it very much is not) I could take 'B.A' through PHB on normal high tides and breezed through on low tides - If only

Griff

• Like 2

We had 7'6" on the gauge at Ludham yesterday and managed to get through.

According to the yard staff at Richardson's they had a few van loads of blokes at Ludham during the week to weigh the boats down and get them through and back to the yard.

Some of the bigger boats had to wait it out at Ludham yesterday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chameleon said:

doen't look like at wroxham,  as  a guide i look at the bit of fence to the left of the bridge, if the bottom plank is covered its too high for me to get under (6'6")and it is underwater this morning

We stopped in Wroxham for a coffee yesterday afternoon and at about 11am the gauge was showing 6ft. 

• Like 1

At Potter yesterday morning the Martham boys were bringing the yachts through to the HW bank - about 7/8 to each boat at least. At one point there must have been about 8 yachts all getting ready for the off. I think they took a couple of cruisers back the other way too. There was a Herbert Woods cruiser moored on the Yacht moorings, he suddenly found himself penned in by a couple of yachts. 

86D11E03-A4EB-43F5-8E27-2FA319346F82.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

Barton hire boat regatta?

I think that starts tomorrow, the Charter Yacht Regatta to give it its formal title. The Lady Yacht Club (?) also has a regatta this weekend at Thurne mouth. Not a good day today for racing around!

Well we got under ph bridge yesterday, 5ft 7 in that is a record for us, we took advantage of Martham boats getting the fleet through, we had a fair few aboard and about 1 inch of clearance, Juliette had more people aboard to get through. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Victoryv said:

Well we got under ph bridge yesterday, 5ft 7 in that is a record for us, we took advantage of Martham boats getting the fleet through, we had a fair few aboard and about 1 inch of clearance, Juliette had more people aboard to get through. 

I bet Jayne 2 would have gone through with just a few on board

• Like 1

Had we not left surlingham ferryhouse when we did yesterday to head back to thorpe marina I don't think we would have made it out of griffin lane as the road under the railway was filling up rapidly and the manholes were erupting just up the lane so the sump pumps were not coping at all, griffin lane was running like a small river, on the way out back to postwick viaduct the stone walls beside yarmouth road had waterfalls running over the top and there was quite a lake to get through on the road which was pouring down into boundry lane big time.

By the time we got back past thetford we were heading into blazing sunshine, which was good as we had to stop to clean dog chunder from the back seat..... Nice!