Swanning Around

Cal

3 hours ago, Cal said:

We will find out on Saturday!!

I'm with NorfolkNog on this. At 7ft9 I don't think it will be a problem. If it is you will probably be picking the boat up at Richardson's in Horning as this week's hirers won't be able to get back up the Ant!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

I'm with NorfolkNog on this. At 7ft9 I don't think it will be a problem. If it is you will probably be picking the boat up at Richardson's in Horning as this week's hirers won't be able to get back up the Ant!

Good point. Hadn't thought of that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Siddy said:

This is the trick to cut the heat loss it's not air tight so your ok, checking my pictures this has radiators and there's one at the end of the bed and I put the brush against the wall let the handle go towards the bed and pulled the quilt over to make a void and bingo one warm bed when you get in.

Nice boat we were going to have it again but checked over Moon Enterprise which has lower internal steps which is better for Kaz and the dog. This now suits us better.

Both good boats in their own ways.

421719456_Ranger1.thumb.jpg.8e453e2b1990b3849e2a0cfc4659383e.jpg1249755775_Ranger3.thumb.jpg.234598674f1e89d9e46549393b90473c.jpg140110569_Ranger2.thumb.jpg.10509354fcd448b374a16d1999d05dae.jpg(

(ok I know it say Ranger but someone will know they should say Enterprise)

It is never a good idea to block any ventilation or gaps causing drafts. 

There have been dire consequences on other waterways.

Regards

Alan 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Regards

Alan 

Whilst I would agree that blocking any fixed ventilation is a bad idea on a boat, the gap around the door is not supposed to be there, so blocking it off to reduce a draft is not going to be of any detriment to the inhabitants.

On 03/10/2019 at 12:24, ranworthbreeze said:

Regards

Alan 

There's only the kettle goes on later and I open the little window at the side of the cooker.

I do the same with the sliding sides on boats, a little air in the bag and push in the gap. 

Ceiling vents and door vents in the latest craft shouldn't be blocked off as there is no air leakage around the sealed units.

(ps Alan please don't take this as a dig at your comment I'm just trying to answer in general)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Siddy said:
  19 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

it's not air tight so your ok

Excuse me but what have I missed here? When did Ranworthbreeze say this?  Or is he being quoted out of context from a different thread?

Let's please remember that we are talking on a forum, where a lot of people look in to get good advice about boating.  We must therefore never be casual or laissez - faire about such matters as ventilation in the living space of a boat.

"You're not OK" to block up ventilation and I have seen boats (including Swancraft) where the gaps along the side of the sliding canopy must have been considered by the builders as fixed ventilation as there are no other high vents in the saloon, although low level vents are (correctly) provided at the bottom of the front doors. Stuffing things in gaps is potentially lethal, especially at this time of year , in Autumn.

If you feel a bit of a draft, then it means you are getting oxygen! If you don't like that, perhaps wear a thicker pair of socks?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, vanessan said:

whisker off 8’ at Ludham Bridge at 9am this morning. Low water is around 11.30am so looking a tad better I think. 

Yippee! Good news for Cal and I don't need to drink that stuff! :default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

have seen boats (including Swancraft) where the gaps along the side of the sliding canopy must have been considered by the builders as fixed ventilation a

As I mentioned earlier I've got pretty good experience of hiring various boats from Swancraft especially in winter. I can honestly say draughts were never an issue, so it does make me wonder if there is a maintenance issue here? 

PS forgot to mention, Swancraft fitted a 'brush' system around the canopies which stopped draughts but were not airtight if that makes sense. As Vaughan says I'm sure this was all taken into account during the build. 

snow.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

PS forgot to mention, Swancraft fitted a 'brush' system around the canopies which stopped draughts but were not airtight if that makes sense. As Vaughan says I'm sure this was all taken into account during the build. 

This is exactly what I noticed when I hired a Swancraft boat just like the one in your photo. After a lifetime in the business I naturally notice this sort of thing when I am on board. I must say say though, that Swancraft's was the most draft free and best fitting canopy I have ever encountered!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me but what have I missed here? When did Ranworthbreeze say this?  Or is he being quoted out of context from a different thread?

Let's please remember that we are talking on a forum, where a lot of people look in to get good advice about boating.  We must therefore never be casual or laissez - faire about such matters as ventilation in the living space of a boat.

"You're not OK" to block up ventilation and I have seen boats (including Swancraft) where the gaps along the side of the sliding canopy must have been considered by the builders as fixed ventilation as there are no other high vents in the saloon, although low level vents are (correctly) provided at the bottom of the front doors. Stuffing things in gaps is potentially lethal, especially at this time of year , in Autumn.

If you feel a bit of a draft, then it means you are getting oxygen! If you don't like that, perhaps wear a thicker pair of socks?

Hi Vaughan,

I have corrected the miss quote.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

We can confirm that Swan Ranger goes through Ludham with 7'6" showing on the gauge. It was close though and I was optimistic driving from the roof! 

Embarrassing to say I did nudge the side of the bridge as I was concentrating more on not hitting the bridge deck. It was only a minor nudge though no harm done.

After that we had a lovely cruise down to Stokesby where we had an unexpected dinner in the pub. The heating would not work so we waited in the pub for the engineers to fix it. Have to say they were very quick to arrive. They had to go away and come back with some spare parts but all is up and running again and while they were here they sorted the stern gland out which was pouring water in!

Our meal was lovely despite the brief power cut which plunged us into complete darkness. 

20191005-135726.jpg

20191005-140133.jpg

20191005-154745.jpg

20191005-155529.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1