Swanning Around

Cal

Dont worry about the drift of topic guys. It's making interesting reading. Although I do disagree with some of the points of view and agree that hirers really should report any problems they have had with the boat when they hand it back at the end of their holiday.

The yards can not possibly check every last thing on every boat in the few hours they get between a boat coming in and going back out again.

As for the food at Reedham Ferry. Well where to start?

The pub is shut on a Monday and Tuesday. We got there 4pm Wednesday to find it doesn't open until 6pm.

The menu is very limited to say the least. We both struggled to find anything we wanted to eat. In the end we were saved by a group of locals at the next table who were offered steaks (not on the menu!) Liam had a steak and I had the beef cheek. 

The food was nice but it was expensive for what it was and the beer was atrocious. A shame as we have in the past always enjoyed a stop here. We probably wont bother next time!

20191009-182842.jpg

20191009-204218.jpg

We are heading back across Breydon today and up to probably Stokesby.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cal said:

. . . . . . The food was nice but it was expensive for what it was and the beer was atrocious. A shame as we have in the past always enjoyed a stop here. We probably wont bother next time! . . . . . .

Shame.  No wonder it doesn't look busy when we pass.  Food menu used to be extensive, not expensive. 

• Like 1

Very true I'm afraid, folks tend to stay in more and the Ferry has suffered with many others. It was always heaving back in the day. Shame about the beer too, they usually have a Humpty Dumpty on which I've always been happy with. 

Glad your supporting the pubs Cal :default_beerchug: 

Here's the opening hours 

IMG_20190930_155143.jpg

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Very true I'm afraid, folks tend to stay in more and the Ferry has suffered with many others. It was always heaving back in the day. Shame about the beer too, they usually have a Humpty Dumpty on which I've always been happy with. 

Glad your supporting the pubs Cal :default_beerchug: 

Here's the opening hours 

IMG_20190930_155143.jpg

We dont usually eat out as much but it has just turned out we have this week. 

We are at the Bridge Inn, Acle tonight. Not been yet this week so decided to go here instead of Stokesby again.

We try our best to support the local pubs. They are what make the area special and need our support to keep them going.

Struggling with internet reception today so the pictures will be posted tomorrow. 

• Like 3

And pictures from today. Acle back to Stalham. We had hoped to get moored on Stalham Staithe but that 24 hour mooring is full of the same scrap boats that were there last Saturday when we picked the boat up. So it is a night in the boat yard tonight and a take out curry from Oasis later.

We have been into town for a few beers in The White Swan then back to the boat. Watching a turn around day is fascinating. They have a great team here at the yard. 

We also had  wander around the museum of the Broads which is a great dog friendly attraction. 

We have had a great great last day despite the weather.

20191011-102737.jpg

20191011-104947.jpg

20191011-105745.jpg

20191011-120010.jpg

20191011-163947.jpg

Bridge clearance at Ludham was interesting again. Gauge said 7'6" boat is min 7'9" we edged under with about 6 inch clearance with half a tank of fuel and half a tank of water.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cal said:

Bridge clearance at Ludham was interesting again. Gauge said 7'6" boat is min 7'9" we edged under with about 6 inch clearance with half a tank of fuel and half a tank of water.

One of Richardson’s Commodores (I think it was) tried to get through this morning when the gauge was showing 7’6”. Chickened out at the last minute. Those boats take up a lot of the river when they are attempting to turn - especially at Ludham Bridge!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vanessan said:

One of Richardson’s Commodores (I think it was) tried to get through this morning when the gauge was showing 7’6”. Chickened out at the last minute. Those boats take up a lot of the river when they are attempting to turn - especially at Ludham Bridge!

We did wonder how they were going to get back. 

We were almost three hours before high water when we edged under. There were boats moored waiting for bridge height then. We decided to edge up and have a look as the highest point is quite far back on this boat.

We ceramic wouldn't recommend it to people who dont have a decent amount of boating experience but in this case it worked for us and got us where we wanted to be tonight.

I think Richardson's have a fair few staff at the bridge at the minute!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Gosh, tide looks well up at Reedham Ferry 

Glad you enjoyed it, I had every confidence :default_biggrin:

Yes lots of water at Reedham. That wasn't high water either.

The meal at the Bridge last night was excellent. Perhaps the best we have had so far this week. 

Looking forward to a curry tonight. 

• Like 1

Interesting to hear about the bridge height at Ludham Bridge today. I'm glad we're hiring out of Horning next week. Better to have full range of the Bure and the Thurne rather than just the upper Ant. I wonder what they do if boats really get stuck the wrong side of any bridge before the day that you're due back.

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Interesting to hear about the bridge height at Ludham Bridge today. I'm glad we're hiring out of Horning next week. Better to have full range of the Bure and the Thurne rather than just the upper Ant. I wonder what they do if boats really get stuck the wrong side of any bridge before the day that you're due back.

They send a few van loads of staff down to weigh the boats down and get them through.

They had to do it last week as well.

• Thanks 1

We have just handed the boat back to the yard and had a very swift and efficient hand over.

We surprisingly got £40 of our fuel deposit back which we had not expected given how much the engine and heating have been running this week.

Time to head to Wells next the Sea now for some fish and chips. 

• Like 5

I'm amazed the Reedham Ferry is shut every Monday and Tuesday. What do they think they are, a hairdressing salon?  I think that sends a "we're struggling" message to customers and that tends to out people off. I had a meal there last year and the food was OK but not very memorable. 

Thanks for your tale and photos Cal, I enjoyed. 

• Like 3

I am not defending The Ferry in any way

but I believe they are looking for staff it is a rural location and I know that both the Lord Nelson and Ship have had similar problems

During the summer The Ship was not serving food on one occasion due to staff problems and I have seen a similar sign outside the Lord Nelson as well. 

I think they are The winter hours for the Ferry but it does seem strange to start those hours before October half term

Ray

• Like 2

Despite the grey day Sydney loved his morning on the beach and then it was time to head back for fish and chips at midday. And no visit to Wells is complete without a visit to the butchers to stock up the freezer 

We are almost home now. Just a quick supermarket stop for provisions.

20191012-105208.jpg

20191012-104046.jpg

20191012-104009.jpg

20191012-104008.jpg

20191012-104005.jpg

20191012-104002.jpg

20191012-103830.jpg

20191012-101416.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, vanessan said:

Late breakfast or early lunch? Enjoyed your tales, safe journey home.  

We timed it just right to have them at midday. By the time we had walked the dog on the beach and done some shopping it was dinnertime. 

• Like 2