Bit Wet......

Poppy

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'd say no but now she is. Basically an oversize dinghy with a lid on it.

I well remember an article in the Cruiser magazine a few years ago by Katie Warwick. I think she was reporting on Oulton Week, when Storm had got knocked down in a gust and capsized. Her crew all swam round the back, stood on the keel and righted her, dinghy fashion. A bit of baling on the downwind leg, and she continued the race!

Kate finished her article by saying : "Of course, a real boat would have sunk at this point!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I well remember an article in the Cruiser magazine a few years ago by Katie Warwick. I think she was reporting on Oulton Week, when Storm had got knocked down in a gust and capsized. Her crew all swam round the back, stood on the keel and righted her, dinghy fashion. A bit of baling on the downwind leg, and she continued the race!

Kate finished her article by saying : "Of course, a real boat would have sunk at this point!"

I seem to recall that incident being on the Breydon Regatta.

• Like 1

Out of interest I googled the RCC rules, interesting. By my reckoning 'Storm' should have failed dismally at clause number 7!

7.       The Class is open to bona fide river cruisers and the interpretation of this definition rests with the General Committee.

8.       A River Cruiser shall be a boat designed specifically and exclusively for the Norfolk Broads. A River Cruiser’s hull and decks may be constructed of any material, and shall include:

a) An aft cockpit or well, surrounded by a substantial coaming, capable of seating at least two people each side, inside the coaming, on fore and aft bench seats.

b) A cabin at least 6ft long between aft bulkhead and cabin front or rear of tabernacle, whichever dimension is the smaller, with a minimum height throughout of 3ft between cabin sole* and coachroof, measured on the centreline with the coachroof in its lowered position. The cabin should contain at least two bunks, with mattresses and bunk base.

*  Note: where the cabin sole is interrupted by bunks, engine casings or the like, the measurement for headroom is taken from where the sole would be in the absence of such obstructions. The roof beams are not taken into account.

c) A forepeak, with hatch, to allow the mast to swing for lowering. The mast shall be mounted in a tabernacle, which forms an integral part of the structure of the boat. The tabernacle shall be stepped on the hog or GRP equivalent. (Yachts built before 1975 may be exempt from provisions a), b) and c) above at the discretion of the General Committee.)

NB – Prospective applicants seeking registration of a yacht are advised to contact the Class Committee prior to purchase, building or alteration of a vessel.

9.       Any innovation in the materials used in the construction or alteration of keel, hull, cabin, sails, spars or equipment, or the adaptation of offshore or racing dinghy technology to River Cruisers, shall be approved by the Committee prior to its use. Furthermore, the General Committee reserves the right to refer any major innovation to the Class at a General Meeting.

(A rider to this rule was presented to the January 1984 meeting and contains advice on materials and equipment which, on application, would expect to be ruled admissible under the provisions of that rule.)

10.     In variation of ISAF RRS 50, a whisker pole need not be attached to the mast when in use.

11.     In variation of ISAF RRS 54, headsail tacks may be attached to a jib boom whose other end is attached approximately on the boat’s centre-line.

• Thanks 1