Boating In November

Broads01

• 3 weeks later...

I'm writing this in the New Inn at Rockland having set off on my maiden November voyage this afternoon. I arrived at Freedom at 12-45 with the boat all ready. They're a very friendly, family-based operation and this is my third time with them now. I've looked aboard Song of Freedom before but I'd forgotten what a classic boat it is. It felt a world away from the 1990s boats I've more often hired recently but in a good way. Freedom have done some sympathetic work on her in recent years and the interior feels lovely. We (me and Rollie the dog) were away down the Yare just after 2pm. It was chilly but with the sun shining and blue sky I didn't miss out on the chance to have the roof open. As I expected there were few boats around although I did manage to find a privateer who passed me in both directions with such a huge wash I felt like I was on Breydon and glad I didn't have a hot drink to spill. As I headed towards Brundall behind me in the distance I think I identified Moonlight Shadow and I know Helen (Ynysmon) is aboard so hopefully I'll be able to say hello in the next few days. I really enjoyed myself in the sun. I feel like I'm doing the 'Quiet and Peaceful' thing at last and loving it so far. I decided to head for Rockland for my first night. By the time I reached Rockland Broad it was past 3-30pm and with the sun very low the temperature dropped and somehow the windscreen seemed to must up on both sides. There was only one other boat at Rockland and as usual Rollie enjoyed the chance to stretch his legs and sniff somewhere new. We've been warm on the boat with the heating working well so far. For tonight I have two duvets from the boatyard plus a sleeping bag of my own in between so hopefully I'll stay warm.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I feel like I'm doing the 'Quiet and Peaceful' thing at last

Good isn't it Simon! :default_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

For tonight I have two duvets from the boatyard plus a sleeping bag of my own

Snug as a bug, that's the way to do it :91_thumbsup:

Enjoy and looking forward to the next installment! 

• Like 2

If not using an all season or winter sleeping bag and let us be honest sleeping bags suit less and less as we get older! I subscribe to the duvet underneath with as many "tog" as the one over the top in cold weather. Although many would disagree I also have always used proper "Down" filled duvets as they tuck in round the body much better than synthetics.

This system has served me well in boats with no heating and ice covered decks.

• Like 2

Have a great week, Simon.  Unfortunately, our paths won’t cross during the week, as happened in September.  We’ll be up late Friday evening to start our first full week (and a bit) on Norfolk Lady and as you can imagine, are looking forward to it immensely.  
Enjoy the peace and the ability to moor wherever you like without difficulty.  We found our first ‘out of season’ cruising experiences very relaxing last winter.

• Like 2

Well I survived the night, albeit I woke up in the night cold but I just put my fleece on and then went back to sleep until the alarm went at 7. It's been lovely today, very bright once again and not quite as chilli as yesterday. The sliding roof has been open the whole time. Fabulous early morning walk with Rollie around to where Short Dyke meets the Broad. We've made it to OBYS via a short stop at Reedham. I'm off in a minute to watch Liverpool v Man City somewhere. 

• Like 5

One of the big things we found about November cruising is to stay out of the wind if it`s coming from the North. We were aboard Lightning in November last year, but used her as a houseboat and went out in the car. It was warmer than the time before, but it did rain a bit. We`re up in March next year which is another first for us so don`t know what we`re in for. However, we`re looking forward to it, and will hopefully meet up with more of you all again?.

Have a great cruise Simon, and don`t forget to go into Rosie Lee`s if in Loddon, though she does`nt open on Tuesdays now, and if you do, could you pass on mine and Karens best wishes til we see her in March. She says we`re her Dorset regulars :default_laugh:.

The boat looks great, and i bet Andy at the yard was very welcoming.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

The boat looks great, and i bet Andy at the yard was very welcoming.

Indeed he was Neil and his wife Nicky also. I do like the personal touch. Song may be the oldest boat I've ever hired and it has a very classic feel to it which I'm really enjoying. 

• Like 3

It's a good job I didn't really need water today. The tap at Reedham was working but there was no hose and I didn't follow Howard's tip of bringing my own (I wouldn't know what fitment to use). Sandersons was all locked up. There's a blue hose in evidence here at OBYS which I'll investigate in the morning. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

What happened to the dry and sunny day. We have had torrential rain on and off all day at Potter.

Torrential rain????? Have you been on the wine Mrs H???? :default_norty:

You know my Lady and I approve :default_biggrin:

Should read for 0 percent rainfall.

Believe ne I wish I had it made the day a complete washout. Lots of fishermen just gave up. Forecast was fur 0 rainfall. Got that one completely wrong.

These forecasters need to look closer at the seaweed.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

1 minute ago, Hylander said:

Believe ne I wish I had it made the day a complete washout. Lots of fishermen just gave up. Forecast was fur 0 rainfall. Got that one completely wrong.

Ar U sure youz not been on zee wine Mrzzzzz H??? :default_biggrin: