Boating In November

Broads01

37 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Especially for Neil, here's Lightning at Oulton Broad. There've been more boats around than I expected although the only other hire boat I saw today was Pacific Sunshine. That doesn't really count though because I think it was Pacific owner Richard at the helm. 

DSC_0140.JPG

Must have been you I said morning too at the ferryhouse then, I was the idiot with the tarp over the roof.

What sort of idiot goes boating in november? Oh yes the sort of idiot that's just had his windscreens refurbed and are not actually the same shape as the hole in the boat so has huge gaps and a tarpaulin over the roof :default_blush:, hopefully a minor glitch being sorted as we speak, as long as the cockup gets sorted I will give the guy a glowing reference as he has been very communacative in getting it sorted, everyone has glitches but it's all about how they deal with them and so far so good he seems like a good guy.

Couldn’t make it up could you? Left home in bright sunshine and just before Acle dark clouds and rain. Was planning on getting Chiltern Lady ready for winter and it tipped it down (yes, in Potter Heigham). Gave up after a couple of hours and will have to pop back, weather permitting, next week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The sliding roof has been open the whole time.

:default_trophy: as it should be, have you been partaking in your own personal karaoke contest whilst underway too like I do :default_wink:

Have a great time mate :default_smile:

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Must have been you I said morning too at the ferryhouse then, I was the idiot with the tarp over the roof.

Not me, I passed the Ferry House about 2-30pm yesterday on my way to Rockland for last night. 

1 hour ago, Bluebell said:

Left home in bright sunshine and just before Acle dark clouds and rain.

Not a sniff of rain where I was today. I think it's coming in the morning though. 

I enjoyed the football at The Waveney Inn which was very busy with a mostly young crowd. I came back to the boat for a bit and then went for the carvery at the Wherry Hotel. I enjoyed the food. They keep the carvery going until 10pm which is surprising given it seemed there were more staff there than there were customers. I left the heating on whilst I went out and its still whirring away now so all good as far as the batteries are concerned. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Especially for Neil, here's Lightning at Oulton Broad. There've been more boats around than I expected although the only other hire boat I saw today was Pacific Sunshine. That doesn't really count though because I think it was Pacific owner Richard at the helm. 

DSC_0140.JPG

Thanks Simon, are they moored up near you, it`s Paul (nicknamed "Buck") and his other half Clair aboard this week. If they`re moored near you, you are more than welcome to have a look onboard, just tell them you`ve been talking to me and you`re interested in buying a share. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Thanks Simon, are they moored up near you, it`s Paul (nicknamed "Buck") and his other half Clair aboard this week. If they`re moored near you, you are more than welcome to have a look onboard, just tell them you`ve been talking to me and you`re interested in buying a share. 

That'll be who I said morning too then....

• Like 1

It's wet and cold this morning. Rollie enjoyed Everitt Park once again first thing and then I pootled around to the water hose on the outside pontoon before setting off back across the Broad. Despite the rain it was a very enjoyable cruise to Beccles and I managed to see two otters. I'm currently at Beccles Yacht Station. High water here is around midday and when we arrived at 10-30 to go through the bridge was too tight to risk. I'm going to hang around until 2ish and see if we can get through then. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Visit to the Locks Simon? :default_beerchug:

Be interested to hear your report! 

I could have done but having reached Geldeston I opted to carry on cruising a bit longer and finished up back at Beccles Yacht Station. The rain dried up this afternoon although there's still a wintery wind. The cruise to Geldeston and back was beautiful as always, albeit that many trees have lost all their leaves now. I'm currently sat in the Bear and Bells which feels very warm and welcoming and Rollie is with me because it's dog friendly. 

• Like 5

On 10/11/2019 at 17:24, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

We`re up in March next year which is another first for us so don`t know what we`re in for. However, we`re looking forward to it.

In my eleven years with Moonlight and Lightning I had the third or fourth week in March four or five times. It was really cold everytime - a lot colder than when I was there for New Year one year.

Still you'll have the rivers pretty much to yourself and its a gorgeous time of the year on the Broads (but when isn't).

Not just the Broads though I can remember a couple of weeks on the canals in March when it snowed. One year myself and the boat were completely covered in snow when out of the blizzard another boat appeared - the other steerer and my self looked like snowmen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I might try to get to Beccles next time. Question though Simon, is the YS just staffed in the mornings in the winter -  the same as Oulton Broad?

Until 1pm Howard. They charge the same as in the summer but lock up the toilet and shower facilities at 1pm when they leave - not great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

One of Fireman Sam's favourite gaffs. Glad to hear it's dog friendly too :91_thumbsup:

It is. Lovely dog friendly pub and welcoming staff with a fine pint of Kronies  :default_beerchug:

Rollie enjoyed a run off the lead near the Yacht Station and then we set off at 8-30am. It was bright but with a bitter cold wind so unusually for me I kept the roof up. My intended destination today is Loddon Staithe. At Somerleyton I was hoping not to have to lower the roof but it was around high water and there was only about 8 foot available. I lowered the roof and screens and felt the cold air briefly and then wrestled to close up again as quickly as possible. Once again, Rollie and I have the whole river to ourselves - yesterday I saw one moving boat all day and today only two so far (and one of those was a BA ranger). We're currently at Reedham where I was intending to try the Post Office Tea room only to discover it's closed on Tuesdays. 

• Like 2