Boating In November

Broads01

If we are on our home moorings, its a case of going to the showers, call into the Yare for a few drinks and a meal, by the log fire if out of season. 

Back on the boat, it is heating on for a short while, hot water bottles to air the beds before retiring. A fleece on top of the bed keeps you toasty warm and any condensation tends to be on the top of the fleece which can be dried during the day.

I tend to like all my time on the boat no matter what time of the year, you just have to dress accordingly, plenty of gloves, hats, jumpers and waterproof coats if the weather turns bad.

Regards

Alan

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Mouldy said:

When will you be up in April?  We are due to be on Moonlight Shadow for the week commencing Saturday 4th, with our son and his family again

I'm out Monday 6th - Monday 13th Malcom. Hopefully we'll get to meet properly this time. 

6 hours ago, SwanR said:

I think the darker evenings are a disadvantage too. Once you put the lights on and pull the curtains or cover the windows it’s a long evening. 

I agree Jean. I don't normally visit a pub every night, preferring to mix with wider moorings but I wanted them to break up the long evening and I enjoyed that. I had enough daylight hours for plenty of cruising but I found I was more restricted in how long I could stop for during the day so as to ensure I reached my destination before it got gloomy. 

• Like 3

Hi Simon,

It was good to meet you at Loddon. I can understand your reservations about November. I suspect that we would have felt the same had we hired. As it was, we really enjoyed ourselves on Moonlight Shadow, despite the mixed bag of weather. When we have hired I've always wanted to spend loads of time cruising, almost as if we want to 'get our money's worth'. I hadn't expected that buying into a syndicate would change that. This time we didn't go very far, some days we just went somewhere by car, and it didn't bother us at all. We stayed plugged into electric every night though and were very warm. 

Tale to follow shortly. :default_smile:

Helen

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Hi Simon,

It was good to meet you at Loddon. I can understand your reservations about November. I suspect that we would have felt the same had we hired. As it was, we really enjoyed ourselves on Moonlight Shadow, despite the mixed bag of weather. When we have hired I've always wanted to spend loads of time cruising, almost as if we want to 'get our money's worth'. I hadn't expected that buying into a syndicate would change that. This time we didn't go very far, some days we just went somewhere by car, and it didn't bother us at all. We stayed plugged into electric every night though and were very warm. 

Tale to follow shortly. :default_smile:

Helen

Hi Helen,

That`s what Karen and i have done on Lightning in November. Last year, we only took Lightning to Snuggtopz on the Monday, the rest of the time we were in the car, Lathams and Norwich for Christmas shopping, plus a quick trip to Roys, and Horning.  

November is a great time providing the weather is kind. If like we had 4 years ago, it was great, though very wet on a couple of days, and we were cruising from up top each day. The following year, we had strong winds from the North, and when cruising to Loddon, we froze. Then last year it was mostly wet, so used her for a houseboat for the week and hooked up all the time.

As you say, now we own a share, we`re not of that mind set "must go everywhere in the week". 

• Like 2

On 15/11/2019 at 14:24, Broads01 said:

I'm out Monday 6th - Monday 13th Malcom. Hopefully we'll get to meet properly this time. 

Keep in touch, Simon and we’ll compare plans nearer the time to see where we can meet up.  I don’t want to put a dampener on April, but we were on Moonlight Shadow in early April this year and the weather was pretty changeable then, too, but at least the clocks will have gone forward and the days will be longer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Keep in touch, Simon and we’ll compare plans nearer the time to see where we can meet up.  I don’t want to put a dampener on April, but we were on Moonlight Shadow in early April this year and the weather was pretty changeable then, too, but at least the clocks will have gone forward and the days will be longer!

OK Malcom. I've hired in April many times so I know it can be anything from 0 to 20 degrees. I agree the extra daylight makes a big difference though. 

• Like 1

Well my cruising range for winter is back as I have my windscreens back in and fitting lovely this time, top marks to Trevor Preece for pulling them apart again and sorting without any fuss, this time they slotted with just a brief nudge so next visit will be much less draughty.

• Like 4