Love The New Web Cam

Hylander

1 hour ago, grendel said:

especially at the prices they charge , one example to recieve an email- they can charge £13 to send one out £26, shocking

May the Government concern that looks into monopolies should have a good look at the pricing structure of Lawyers in this country. 

• 3 months later...

THE BROADS BOATING COMPANY LIMITED.

"17 Mar 2020. Final Gazette dissolved via compulsory strike-off.

This document is being processed and will be available in 5 days."

Just came across the above (copied and pasted from Companies House). It looks like the end finally. I note the date is in the future so the document won't be available until then. Another one bites the dust, a shame, I thought they may have been able to make a go of it. Does anyone know if they own the site or is it rented? I assume the three (?) boats will soon find new homes.

Does this affect Pedros?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

boats will soon find new homes.

Not sure that they weren't rented too. I seem to remember Richardson's being mentioned in that context. A shame that they didn't make it.  After the initial interest when they opened, not least their choice of name (BBC), they pretty quickly dropped off the radar, or at least that was my impression..

That’s a shame. We would have given them a go if they had a boat that suited us but we have a couple of specific requirements that their boats didn’t meet. 

Shame it doesn’t seem to have worked out. This might show how hard it is to get a new business off the ground. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

They opted for Airbnb as their booking agent, which really is not known for hiring boats on the Broads. Can't think that would have helped.

Perhaps there is a degree of logic in going the Airbnb route. Houseboats are advertised on that website so why not mobile boats?

Beyond that I suspect that Airbnb is a great deal cheaper than Hoseasons and also a great deal more fashionable right now. Being on Airbnb might also mean having little or no competition from other Broads yards. 

Having looked at the comings and goings on the Company's House website 

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10369550/filing-history 

it does leave me rather nonplussed, not that I fully understand such things, but I do wonder if the more traditional letting sites might not have been wisely cautious in offering their services. 

They were originally with Waterways World as their agent if you remember. Sure Hoseasons would have been more expensive, but either would have been a more recognised route than Airbnb. If you search for Norfolk Broads Boat Hire on Google, Airbnb is nowhere to be seen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

They were originally with Waterways World as their agent if you remember. Sure Hoseasons would have been more expensive, but either would have been a more recognised route than Airbnb. If you search for Norfolk Broads Boat Hire on Google, Airbnb is nowhere to be seen.

Although many of the younger generation swear by Airbnb and have the app, the website as a favourite and would probably search there first.

Not saying one way of the other is the right route and whether either way would have worked in the long run, but its sad to see them go as Horizoncraft was always a favourite of ours and to see the vacant boatyard taken over by them and adding the shop and Pedro`s was a boost for an area that could have fallen into disrepair and I have no doubt it helped to draw more people to Acle who may not have stopped there. 

Strange thing is the website is still up and if you click on book, Airbnb gives availability. Whether you could go all the way and book I'm not sure. Have they actually ceased trading, or just wound up one business and now trade under another name e.g. Broads Boating Company (2020) Ltd? Anyone passing Acle see any signs of life?

On 28/11/2019 at 13:21, chameleon said:

i before e except after c

A rule I always found weird , my coffee drinking neighbour ( he loved the caffeine) a man of great height and weight never failed to seize the moment to quote it to me I always wanted to bet him it was an incorrect assumption but I knew he would forfeit when he realised it was untrue albeit wrong of me to correct him .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Of course the other Pedro's disappeared at Horning a long while ago. We enjoyed using The Clubhouse last October which had sprung up in its place. I hope that’s survived the winter and is still going. 

Unfortunately its closed down.  We used it a few times and they even did a takeaway for us to take back to the boat in the marina. Good food, shame its shut

• Sad 1