Don't Come To Norfolk!!

JennyMorgan

3 hours ago, grendel said:

it does strike me that the older generation moving to a small village with no local ameneties are setting themselves up for problems in old age, when for example they can no longer drive to the shops, and all of the small local stores have shut and busses only run once a day, I wonder if they will be able to cope, or will they then bemoan the loss of the village shop and bus services?

in local villages we have already seen newcomers complaining about the smell from farm animals and the hayfever caused by the crops that had been traditionally grown at that location for generations, and woe betide that you hold them up by driving a tractor down the roads. 

Life in the countryside has always been a hard life with few amenities at your door, yet a lot of those moving in dont seem to understand the problems that come from living in a rural setting.

So often have I met Incomers who's only experience of the area has been in coming here for their summer holidays. They sell up, move to the Broads but with no experience of the winter with the Siberian winds that insist on taking short cuts it all comes as an unpleasant surprise. The second home butterflies have gone into hibernation, the village is half empty, winters are not what they expected. Oh dear, they want to go back to London but can't, the cost of London housing has gone up in leaps and bounds since they left thus they are trapped in Norfolk. They visit London only to find that their friends have also moved out, nothing to return to, even if they could afford it.

Oh, and then there is the sugar-beet harvest with the acres of mud on the road, or on your car windscreen and their favorite pub is cut off by the floods. Roll on summer! As for the er-hem tractors . . . . . . . . . . 

• Like 5

In the community where we live our neighbours until recently have always been related to each other, brothers, sisters etc so at one time everyone local could afford to buy really nice bungalows.     As time has gone on unfortunately a lot of them have passed on,    they have been replaced once more with lovely neighbours.   You can hear a pin drop here and if someone down the road sneezes we all say 'bless you'.           Yes we have a lovely parade of little shops, Post Office, hairdressers, fish and chip shop and a mini supermarket.    We are very lucky,      coupled with the fact that we have a really good bus service.

Would not change it for the world.     Long may it stay like it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Carole. no, I'm not flirting, honestly, but you are an exceedingly nice person. Who could not like you?

As for North London, my Suffolk born & bred daughter moved there (Highgate) from here. Liked the place, enjoyed the cultural side of London, always somewhere to go, better money than Norfolk would pay her, had eight good years down there but is now just so glad to be back.

Thank you  for the compliment Peter.  Feel free to flirt till your heart's content.   Highgate!  My daughter opened an estate agents on Highgate High  Street in the early 90s.It's very "villagey" there and the locals gave her all all sorts of grief Until Christmas came and she charged me with the task of acquiring Christmas decorations for the office. As the décor  was very Victorian, I  themed the decorations likewise. The locals loved them and voted them the best in the village and invited  my daughter to join their  committee!

Carole

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grendel said:

it does strike me that the older generation moving to a small village with no local ameneties are setting themselves up for problems in old age, when for example they can no longer drive to the shops, and all of the small local stores have shut and busses only run once a day, I wonder if they will be able to cope, or will they then bemoan the loss of the village shop and bus services?

in local villages we have already seen newcomers complaining about the smell from farm animals and the hayfever caused by the crops that had been traditionally grown at that location for generations, and woe betide that you hold them up by driving a tractor down the roads. 

Life in the countryside has always been a hard life with few amenities at your door, yet a lot of those moving in dont seem to understand the problems that come from living in a rural setting.

Sure no no... there's so many doublers negatives etc. here. Growing up in a broadland village going from 4 shops to none, old skool second home brigade who were & are lifelong family friends, sharing the same rag n stick interests; but in a later chapter myself living in a North Norfolk village I have seen the retired set move in and with a year or three sell up and move to a coastal town for the amenities and to be able to walk to the golf course etc. Maybe too quiet for them also. But it's not just in the sticks you get the issues, how's about the rewmoaners near St Andrews Hall all that NOIUSIC leading to a abeertment order!?! Now I've given up the sticks AND the big smoke (Narwich) I've become a townie, oh yay I've seen the (street) light! But it's just the same, the council is made up of incomers, the business folk moan, 'too many new houses', "not enough drainage to cope" with the stools blah blady blah. It's a relief to get out on my iron horse and return to the broadland village, struggle with no street lights but enjoy the peace ad moonlight.... it always was one bus in the morning and one bus at night! A relief to jump on the train to get to the big smoke though instead of getting stuck behind a Micra at S minus 30mph. Goodnite wherever you maybe and frum. Rite now back to supper with the missus... from the Midlands. Aaargh!