Late October On Jade Emblem

Travelman

1 hour ago, Travelman said:

I say I figured it out, but you might have to stand on your head to look at some of them! emoji848.png

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Makes it all the more interesting! Thank you for your write-ups and the photos, enjoyed them. Hiring the day boat at PH was definitely the right idea, the seals at Horsey are well worth the visit. 

• Like 1

Day 6: 31st October.

Halloween! We had by now realised that Halloween is a big deal in Norfolk. All the pubs had serious decorations, and many boats were decorated too. Fortunately we had brought a costume and a pumpkin for our younger one, and some window stickers for the boat. We had forgotten to bring a battery tea light but the very nice gentleman at the shop at Ranworth had one lying behind the counter and he gave it our son.

The pumpkin was carved the night before, and stickers were put up, so we just needed to ensure we ended up at a pub for the evening. We chose the Acle Bridge Inn as it is usually quite busy. This meant backtracking, but we stopped at Womack Staithe and walked to the King's Arms in Ludham for lunch. We also stopped by the butcher there and got some pasties. We then went across to Thurne where we stopped at the windmill and walked up to The Lion. We eventually headed down to Acle and moored up at the pub. The lantern was placed on the boat, our son got into his costume and we wandered into the pub where he got to 'trick or treat' and even got some sweets for his big brother! DSC_3679.jpegIMG-20191031-WA0001.jpeg

• Like 9

Day 7: 1st November.

We left Acle at about 9am and cruised up towards Horning. The gauges on both waste tanks were starting to look quite full and I decided I wasn't going to try and push it for another day. We noticed that the fwd head used alot of water each time we flushed, which filled the tank noticeably faster than the aft one.

We detoured into South Walsham Broad for a slow nosey around and then carried on up to the Ferry Marina yard. They had just had many boats back and were very full but managed to get us in quite quickly for a pump out.

We then went on to Wroxham and moored in the NBD yard, while we went across to Roy's to buy some food (for lunch when we got home the following day). This accomplished, we cruised back to Horning and moored at The New Inn. It was past 4 pm by the time we got here and I was hoping there would be space... fortunately there were a few spaces so we moored up and plugged in to the electricity before going into the pub and booking a table for later (seeing as it was Friday night). Dinner was delicious, and we got back to the boat for a night cap and an early night.DSC_3692.jpeg

• Like 7

And finally...

Day 8: 2nd November.

We had to vacate the boat by 9 am, but being just 10 minutes from the yard we didn't have to rush. We had some breakfast, packed our stuff and got the boat back to Ferry Marina. After handing back the life jackets, it was into the car for an easy 2 hour 40 minute drive home to Surrey, albeit with depressing entertainment for part of the journey (the rugby).

I'm already thinking about my next trip to the Broads, although with work, school etc it is difficult for us to get there morecthan once every couple of years, maybe once a year at the most.

I did discover while talking to the chaps at Ferry Marina that they have boats available all winter and already have three boats booked over Christmas. DSC_3703.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for a great write up Travelman, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Being a syndicate owner, we get to use Lightning up to 4 times a year, and all for less than the cost of a weeks hire, after the initial share purchase of course. 

Where will your next hire be, North or South?.  

Hello Neil,

Thank you for your reports of your travels this year, we have been with you all the way. I hope that you will continue looking in on the forum now that your holiday is over. 

Speedtriple idea that being a member of a syndicate that offers school shares might be a good way forward for you and your family.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

We definitely intend to keep returning to the Broads. This was our sixth visit and by no means our last. The issue is that we only manage to get there about once every couple of years, the reason being both my wife and I work in the airline/travel industry and we are lucky enough to have many opportunities to travel further afield. But despite the fact that we travel to many of the most exotic places on the planet, the Norfolk Broads is a firm favourite with the whole family. A syndicate which offers school shares is a very definite possibility.

Our next visit will be to the south, although tides permitting we will probably do a bit of the north too. I absolutely love the river Ant!

• Like 3

We definitely intend to keep returning to the Broads. This was our sixth visit and by no means our last. The issue is that we only manage to get there about once every couple of years, the reason being both my wife and I work in the airline/travel industry and we are lucky enough to have many opportunities to travel further afield. But despite the fact that we travel to many of the most exotic places on the planet, the Norfolk Broads is a firm favourite with the whole family. A syndicate which offers school shares is a very definite possibility.

Our next visit will be to the south, although tides permitting we will probably do a bit of the north too. I absolutely love the river Ant!

Thunder currently has a school share for sale. The first time one has been for sale since the syndicate formed....

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Thanks 1

Thunder currently has a school share for sale. The first time one has been for sale since the syndicate formed....

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
We passed Thunder a couple of times during our week on the Broads, once on Monday the 28th on Barton Broad. A nice looking boat indeed.

At present a syndicate wouldn't work for us simply because we cannot find the time, as much as we would love to. A week a year is optimistic!

I'm sure one say we will get there one day, but for now hiring just makes more sense.

• Like 2