Anyone had a BMC rebuilt by Calcutt boats?

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to know if any of you have had any engine work done by Calcutt Boats? They seem to be highly recommended, I spoke to one of their guys today and he certainly made all the right noises. I am considering having my BMC 1.5 rebuilt next year and have spoken to a couple of the broads based yards but the cost differencial between them is crazy. My engine sounds sweet enough and starts very easy but has a problem running off load by where it continually puffs blue smoke. The only way to cure the problem has been to advance up the pump timing but the downside to that is the inducement of a hideously loud diesel knock - equally undesireable. It has been suggested that the issue could be with the timing chain and sprocket gear being streached and excessivly worn, but Herbert Woods have very little service information for our boat and so this is an unknown. I am planning though to renew the chain, sprockets and associated tensioner as this is a fairly low cost option. If it proves to be unsuccesful then maybe the rebuild rout is the answer? - Any thoughts??

cheers!

Andy

I too have been thinking of going down that route and am considering Calcutt as the best option.

I have an oil leak that needs attention and will probably mean removal anyway, also the exhaust manifold/ header tank is quite rusty and could do with replacing too, best to have it done before it causes probs, apart from that though it has proved utterly reliable in the 3 years i've had it.

I was thinking about having it done this winter but may now have to wait another year and keep my fingers crossed.

Worn valve stem oil seals will give this problem and is quite a simple job to replace, i would also put the timing back to where it should be as this can cause

untold damage ,also slighty to much oil in the sump dont trust dipstick unless you are sure it's correct.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. The valve stem oil seals were replaced last year when the head gasket was done. she dosen't burn any oil so I'm assuming the smoke is excess / unburnt fuel? The timing is back where is should be as excessive diesel knock is less desirable than a little smoke.

cheers!

Andy

Hi Andy.

Blue smoke is is oil burning diesel is black smoke. shot in the dark are all engine breather's clear including oil filler capthis should be the vented type

when this engine was desined it had a breather on the cam cover side plate but normally removed on boats hence the vented filler cap.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I asked the yard to fire it up at lunchtime and they tell me that the smoke is not blue, but white. ???

When previous maintenance has been carried out the breathers have been checked. This smoke problem only seems to manifest itself off load and at idle speeds or just above. On load there is no noticeable smoke. As I said, the fault is not apparent when you advance up the pump timing but that brings on a considerable diesel knock. I have been advised (by several sources) to renew the timing chain, sprockets and tensioner, which I intend to do. what are your thoughts??

cheers!

Andy

Hi Andy.

As it's white smoke this is unburnt diesel,This could be a weak or dripping injector and would explain why when you alter the timing it goes away

i would get the injector's serviced from a good diesel agent. the timing chain set up on these engines is pretty robust being a duplex chain running

on a spring loaded rubber pad and doesnt give much trouble same as all B series engines.

cheers Steve.

I had my engine totally rebuilt by Calcutt boats, at great expense.

Mine was knackered, for a long while it had been under powered and producing a lot of smelly smoke. Then it just gave up and wouldn't start, a compression test revealed problems on a couple of cylinders. After a lot of thought I decided against a new engine (which would have cost far more) and had my BMC 1.5 taken out and sent off to Calcutt boats.

They had to do a lot of work on my engine, including a replacement fuel injection pump, replacement heat exchanger and a replacement cylinder head. The total was around £3000 inc VAT.

The engine looked like new when it came back and run very well, starting very well so long as it has 30 seconds of the heaters first. I had a lot more power than before and all the smelly smoke had gone. I'm pleased I had the work done, although the cost was more than I expected.

Hi Andy

Have you thought of going down the route of replacing with a modern equivalent, Nanni or alike, they are much quieter and far more economical.

cheersbar

Have to agree with Col there, I have a Nanni in my boat and it's a cracking engine. Don't forget also that your old engine will be snapped up by someone if advertised on eBay, helping to fund a new one.

Hi Col,

To be honest, when we brought our Lowliner we had the choice of "Twilight" 1 or 2 as both were beining offered for sale. The main difference between them was the engine. "Twilight 1" had a Nanni and "Twilight 2" had the BMC. We chose the BMC because although it is much older technology, by it's vertue it is simplistic and much more economical on the wallet when it comes to parts and servicing. I have had a quote from Calcutt Boats to rebuld my engine and Herbert woods to remove and then refit the rebuilt unit. The total cost is likely to be around £2800.00 inc. VAT. I have looked into the option of a modern replacement but of course it's not just the engine itself, engine mounts, gearbox adaption or renew, wiring loom, instrumentation etc. will all be required, and in my view the cost would be totally prohibitive. Noise has never been a problem on our boat as the engine room is very well sound insulated, in fact when you are cruising at around 1700rpm there is barely any noise at the upper helm.

The new timing chain, sprockets and tensioner are being fitted this week so hopefully will see an improvement, but if not I am gonna go down the rebuild route and Calcutt boats seem to be the most experienced in this.

cheers!

Andy

That's the whole reason I went for a rebuild v new engine. With a new engine you have a lot of extra cost for all the other things that have to be replaced. A rebuilt engine slots straight back in. My rebuild would have been cheaper if they hadn't needed to replace the heat exchanger.

BMC 1.5 parts are readily available, the engines are reliable (other than they are sometimes a pig to start in the cold) and it's still a lot cheaper to rebuild than replace with new. My engine was 35 years old when rebuilt, I wonder how many modern diesels with complicated electronics will last that long.

Hi All,

Just back from the broads, taken "ES" out for a couple of days over the weekend after having the timing chain, sprockets and tensioner replaced. NO SMOKE at all !!!!!

Starts after 20 seconds of heat from cold on the button !! and unless I am mistaken she's a bit quieter? HOOOOO-RAY !!!! - Well pleased....

cheers!

Andy