In Rememberance

Chelsea14Ian

I detest the bling jewelry poppies which are getting more and more prevalent. In no way does this support the British Legion , remembrance is not meant to be a bloody fashion show at the end of the day. Just take a look at the "celebrities" on the telly ! The Strictly judges etc. Paper poppies not good enough.

Makes me sick

• Like 1

but wearing a poppy as a mark of remembrance, does not necessarily mean supporting the british legion, yesterday i saw a couple celebrating remembrance wearing crocheted poppies, the poppy is a mark of respect to remembrance no matter where or how it was obtained, while one would like to think a donation has been made to the legion, it is the display of the poppy that matters as a mark of respect.

Bling it may be, but it still a gesture of respect and remembrance, at least the effort has been made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Not quite correct as a poppy Appeal collector papar poppies are sold up until 11 November, pins are sold on behalf of the appeal and generate lots of money each year.Just check on the poppy shop.com.

Thanks for that.  Just been on the site and spent nearly £40.  Not a lot I know but it all helps and goes to the right cause.

Happy (aka Alan0

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Not quite correct as a poppy Appeal collector papar poppies are sold up until 11 November, pins are sold on behalf of the appeal and generate lots of money each year.Just check on the poppy shop.com.

I haven’t seen the poppy shop before! I give to the British Legion on a monthly basis and have had a poppy pin for donkeys years so never had cause to look at much else. What a lovely wide selection of products, I can see a few things there that are going to make some nice presents and a bit of a hole in my wallet so thank you Ian for mentioning it. One of the most worthwhile causes to support imo.  

• Thanks 1

They got the English football league involved this year too.

Went to the Ipswich shop whilst I was away on holiday. They had them in for sale, it was the second day and there had been no match, between them putting them out and when I went in.

Asked the person behind the desk how many had gone? "We ordered 24 boxes of one hundred we have sold six in the first day and a half, we are ordering another 24 boxes and hope they can get them by tomorrow.

I did notice also that the poppy sellers had posters in the town advertising they had the badges too.

They sold for £2.99. I put in all the change I had in my pocket for mine, roughly about £8.

9 hours ago, grendel said:

but wearing a poppy as a mark of remembrance, does not necessarily mean supporting the british legion, yesterday i saw a couple celebrating remembrance wearing crocheted poppies, the poppy is a mark of respect to remembrance no matter where or how it was obtained, while one would like to think a donation has been made to the legion, it is the display of the poppy that matters as a mark of respect.

Bling it may be, but it still a gesture of respect and remembrance, at least the effort has been made.

We had some crocheted ones which we sold for £3.Sadly like many the some are sold via the internet and may not be the real thing. However if there brought from the RBL,and or the poppy shop.Then they are the real thing.

• Like 1