Motorhome On The Broads

Cal

The advantage i found when we had a motorhome was you could park in car parks in town centres, lay by's or pub car parks and have a lock in with bed and toilet close at hand which you couldn't with a caravan. Much like a boat but without restrictions on where to go. John

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 05:27, ChrisB said:

Judith and I did a lot of touring throughout the UK and Continent when our two sons were young. We hired both a motorhome and a caravan first and for our needs the touring caravan won hands down. The caravan with it's fixed awning  provided a more permanent camp at our destination leaving the car free to use. Another benefit was the ease of " leveling up" the caravan on it's jacks, as many sites in the Alps and Pyrenees are far from flat, in those days the RVs used ramps which I did not fancy to achieve a level plain, I have even seen an Italian family use a short axle stand! I suppose motorhomes today have air suspension to get a flat nights sleep.

Having bought a touring van we used both it and the boat for our summer holidays. For years our boat was at Ridge Wharf Nr Wareham. We would tow the caravan to Lookout Caravan Park at Stoborough and day sail the boat to Studland or having the occasional night aboard there or in Poole Harbour. The caravan was invaluable though as it let the boys have a good run around, when they were little, away from the river and marina.

Enjoy your wandering adventures.

A caravan would not work for us. We can't park it on the drive for one and neither of our three cars would tow a big enough caravan so we would have to replace a car as well.

The motorhome we can park on the drive (restrictive covenants say no caravans/boats) and it will be replacing my car which does very few miles a year (less than 1000 miles this year)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, annv said:

The advantage i found when we had a motorhome was you could park in car parks in town centres, lay by's or pub car parks and have a lock in with bed and toilet close at hand which you couldn't with a caravan. Much like a boat but without restrictions on where to go. John

That is also another reason we are not entertaining a caravan.

We plan to make us of a lot of pub car parks and also french aires when travelling europe. Caravans are not allowed.