Summercraft

Mouldy

I have seen reports that Summercraft will no longer be hiring boats next year and the yard will become a private marina, although they will continue to hire their riverside bungalows.  A check of the Hoseasons website seems to prove this to be correct.  I have also looked at the Summercraft website, which also shows no availability for 2020.

I do know that they sold off a couple of their boats earlier this year, perhaps an indication of things to come.

If this is true, I for one will be sorry to see the demise of yet another small, family yard and miss the bright, distinctive livery of their craft on the rivers.  We spent many happy holidays with them and always found the boats to be meticulously maintained and the service friendly.  To Sue and her team, thanks for some truly happy memories.

As a private marina, it will offer some lucky boat owners a pretty base to moor their craft, off the main river and away from the rest of the Wroxham/Hoveton yards, but still close enough to allow easy access to the facilities of the town.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My first ever holiday on the Broads was on Gala Girl back in 1964.   I remember as a 16 year old thinking how clean,  smart and tidy everything looked when we arrived to a very friendly welcome at the yard.

We were shown where our boat was and all we could see was 30 feet of what looked like soap suds.  Once they were hosed off the boat we were shown on board .

Nothing was too much trouble when my dad asked to have something explained again so we knew just what we had to do with the mechanics of oil, water and weed filters etc.

Whenever I have visited the yard since there has always been a very pleasant welcome.

I have always been impressed with the smart and clean condition of their boats whenever I see one

A sad loss  to lose a yard with such high standards

Jeff 

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up, Malcom, that's a real shame. I hired from Summercraft twice (Gainsborough Girl and Grecian Girl) and had no complaints at all. They have a deserved reputation as a well run operation. It must be a recent decision because I was browsing Hoseasons a couple of weeks ago and Summercraft were on there. 

I think that most remaining hire yards are breathing a sigh of relief now we own our own boat and no longer need their services.  Here’s a list of yards that I’ve hired from in the past:

FB Wilds

Connoisseur Cruisers

Gale Cruisers

Russell Marine

Bristercraft

Royalls

Summercraft

Can you spot why?

I think this was on the cards a couple of years ago when they were forced to sell a couple of cottages and their moorings to pay death duties , it’s where we used to moor in Hoveton .

plus the last couple of years they have been selling off some of their fleet , and not replacing any.

I too will be greatly saddened if they do stop hiring totally as they certainly maintain their fleet to the highest of standards , if they are indeed selling off the remaining fleet then whomever manages to snap Glitter Girl up will be acquiring one of the finest Hampton Safaris afloat , especially if they continue to include a re paint in the owners colour choice as part of the deal .

• Like 1

Our first hire was Gracious Girl from Summercraft back in the 90s. There was a long gap until we returned in 2012. We would have gone back to them if they had a boat that suited us. It will be a shame if this is true as their boats still look so distinctive out on the rivers.

This is sad but not unexpected news and a massive blow to hirers who judge a hire boat by its presentation and not the heavily hyped but poorly presented offerings that seem to dominate today.

My lasting impression of them will be when the fleet was all varnished. The way they bravely used a light finish that was absolutely stunning in bright sunlight. No ones craft looked better, even Moores.

We are now left with only one hire yard who's boats will go out in October as they do in April yet at the price a certain high end Wroxham yard charges you think they could clean the hulls at the end of each hire. Is it really that difficult?

Good luck too them with their holiday lets and the yard in its future reincarnation.

Fred

• Like 1

Very sad to see them go, we hired from them a couple of times and the boats were superb. Sue had a strange manner, you could mistake it for being a bit abrupt and off putting, but once you got to know her, she was a really nice lady.  

As for the boats, absolutely brilliant, all very well cared for, and always very well presented, and always looked great out on the river, very distinctive.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised, actually I expected it a few years ago since Sue told us when we last hired from her that the plan was to slowly sell the boats and then turn the yard into a private marina.  It should make a lovely permanent mooring spot and be far less hassle for her.  I hope she treats her loyal customers (and staff) better than Royal's did when they sold out to Barnes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Sue had a strange manner, you could mistake it for being a bit abrupt and off putting, but once you got to know her, she was a really nice lady.  

I agree she could be abrupt and off putting and I'm glad you got to know her well enough to see past that. The last time I visited the boatyard was when I made the mistake of trying to get water there on a Saturday in 2017. She was having none of it and sent me packing immediately on the basis she couldnt accommodate me mooring in the space (even just for water) which annoyed me at the time. 

• Like 1

My list of yards that we have hired from, and I'm just bound to miss a few, not in date order btw:-

Herbert Woods

Brooms

John Williams

Richardsons

Bridgecraft Acle

Eastwood Whelptons

Hearts

Southgates

Whispering Reeds

Barnes

Corfu Yacht Charter

RN