More Could Flood Scaremongering Or Natural Marsh

FairTmiddlin

I don't see anything new in this at all. This U.S. "think tank" may have overlooked that the areas of Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire which they have picked out in red are re-claimed land which has to be constantly drained and maintained. Where do they think the Norfolk Broads came from in the first place?

These areas were heavily populated in the mid 16th century by Dutch refugees from Huguenot persecution and they brought with them many things :

The affluence of their wool trade. We have heard of the "Flemish Weavers".

Their architecture. Norfolk is dotted with Dutch gabled brick buildings, especially barns.

Their skills as boatbuilders, which probably brought about the Norfolk Keel and the Norfolk reed barge. Keel is one of the many dutch words we use in boatbuilding, as is "yacht".

Their engineering knowledge of draining and re-claiming marshlands, just as they had done at home in the lowlands of Holland.

If we do not manage the Broads area - and the Fens - by constant drainage and maintenance of defences then yes, it will all flood. But I don't see that problem as being any different now to what it was hundreds of years ago. In fact, modern technology should make it a great deal easier for us.

• Like 3

That map looks remarkably like The Norwich Union Flood Risk Map that dates from around 2003/4. I used it when looking for properties in Norfolk, which is most likely why we ended up one mile inland and just under 40m above sea level.