Problems logging in

16 minutes ago, Hylander said:

What's the Beano and Dandy, have you seen under a rock

I have seen under a rock many times, and there were bugs and stuff but no Beano or Dandy.

Well I assume anyway, I don't know what they are :default_wink:

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Nah, he's just trying to crack on he's younger than he really is M :default_norty:

Younger than I really......well I am truly flabbergasted Mr Nog Sir. I'm a baby within our group I assure you, although......that's not saying much is it :default_smiley-angelic002:

I think that deleting any bookmark you have and setting that up again from a new search is the answer. I had cleared my cache but the problem persisted.

This morning I was presented with the sign in page. I closed that tab, Googled the forum, loaded it from there and it came up with me already signed in. So I deleted my old bookmark, bookmarked it afresh from my signed in page and for now, all is fine.

We have the same problem with one of the pieces of software that we develop and support where I work. Whenever we have an upgrade we get calls from people who have bookmarked a link on their desktop instead of accessing it via their Programs menu, and this is exactly what we have to get them to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It looks as though people are having issues mostly with bookmarks -

Can I suggest that everyone who uses a bookmark for the site goes and edits it so that it is just https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/ - That way you won't have a problem when a software update changes the structure of internal pages etc.

We apply software updates in order to patch any vulnerabilities and to keep the site moving forward, and it would be irresponsible of us not to do so.

If we didn't apply updates and there were a breach of users' data (emails, passwords etc) which was possible because of a vulnerability we hadn't yet patched, I think our members would quite rightly be asking us why we didn't apply the latest updates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Instead of "bookmarks" I have to go a complex convoluted route, mainly because the new fangled browsers don't do what the good old "Internet Explorer" used to do. SO... instead of setting a bookmark, I load the web page I want but in "Internet Explorer". Then I right click and select "Create shortcut". This gives me an Icon on the screen and no problems.

19 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Instead of "bookmarks" I have to go a complex convoluted route, mainly because the new fangled browsers don't do what the good old "Internet Explorer" used to do. SO... instead of setting a bookmark, I load the web page I want but in "Internet Explorer". Then I right click and select "Create shortcut". This gives me an Icon on the screen and no problems.

I do something very similar with safari, click on a symbol that gives me the option to ‘add to home screen’ and then an icon appears. Click on that each time and I’m straight in. 

42 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

If you are using edge in Windows 10 when you have opened the forum click on the yellow star in the bar at the top and save to favourites then when you want to open it again click on the next star, hope this helps

Fred

Sorry but no Fred, That doesn't achieve what I want. I require an icon on the desktop screen. This can then be opened using whichever browser yo use at the time.

Edge is my current default browser, but quite often I need to use a different browser instead. For example, if watching the Barnes webcam, I use firefox but I use Google Chrome for a vegetable oil forum.

Yes, I could bookmark each browser with the websites I use them for, but it's easier to do it the way I do.

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Each to their own MM but that does sound over complicated, I can do everything within one browser in my case edge, Admin will know better but I don't think its possible to convert the website into an app on normal PC browsers. 

Fred

What John is saying is that he has a shortcut to the forum on his desktop, so that Windows launches the site in whichever browser is currently set as default.

Not a bad plan if you ask me.

Simply right click on the desktop, select New > Shortcut from the context menu and then paste in https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/ when asked for the location.

On the next page when asked for a name, simply enter Norfolk Broads Network or NBN.

• Thanks 1

The bookmark thing has to be a total red herring, I checked the details of mine and it's exactly what I'd expect to see.

Earlier it logged me in fine several times and now it's back to square one again, if a website can't work with different pc's and browsers it's not really an upgrade is it, it's a major downgrade.

nbn.jpg.9ddd0f893e425190d556af4502875ed5.jpg

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The bookmark thing has to be a total red herring, I checked the details of mine and it's exactly what I'd expect to see.

Earlier it logged me in fine several times and now it's back to square one again, if a website can't work with different pc's and browsers it's not really an upgrade is it, it's a major downgrade.

nbn.jpg.9ddd0f893e425190d556af4502875ed5.jpg

your bookmark is missing the s in https which indicates the site is a secure site. this may be why replacing the bookmark has worked for others. -https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com

• Like 1

I have just done a test, and using the http version does get you to the right (secure) page, but if your computer remembers cached information from the non secure version, maybe that is where the conflict occurs. I dont have a cached version I can test (I used a different browser on my work machine to test this which doesnt have a cached version of the site) so it may well be the non secure address that is causing the issue when it redirects to the secure site pages.

if you have ever had to work in a unix / linux computer environment where every letter has to be the correct case too or it wont recognise it, you will understand why you have to be very careful when checking these things, plus I am an ex drawing office manager where pattern recognition goes a long way toward making sure things are correct when checking users drawings, I used to be able to spot there was an error in a drawing at a glance, but then sometimes took me an hour or more to find what it actually was. (like spotting a misplaced decimal point on a whole schematic drawing).