Waitrose Shoppers.

Poppy

I dislike Waitrose immensely. I used to use the one in Ely when moored there because it was the nearest place to buy a paper. Generally the staff were unhelpful, customer service was   non-existent . Whereas the service I get in my local Aldi couldn't be better and the prices better still!.T the quality of the produce is excellent. My only complaint is that a lot of the vegetables come pre-packed and I prefer to select my own and decide on the quantity I want. but it is small inconvenience  when  the enormous savings we make are considered

Carole

• Like 1

A good number of years ago I used to work for McVities making Jaffa Cakes and as well as our own branded version we made a number of other brands for well known supermarkets. We did use a different ingredients mix so it could be classed as unique but the difference was that slight you would never know...however the price ranges on the shelves were quite dramatic!

• Like 3

This happens across all sectors of manufacturer to wholesale/retail. Rene was a seamstress in a shirt manufacturers in her earlier years. The exact same shirts went to a high-end retailer and a more "down-market" chain. The only difference? The tag in the collar, and subsequent price to the punter. Towards the end of her time, the manufacturers never even bothered to make shirts. Bought them in from the Asian sub-continent and had "Made in Britain" tags sewn in. Very naughty, but no-one ever checked or asked! Went out and a hefty profit all round, thank you very much. As my mate says in relation to anything in a bag, "What it says ON the bag, isn't necessarily what's IN the bag".

• Like 3

Nearer home, for me, we have the Cantley Sugar factory. Went there on a planning consultation and as we were there we were shown round, loads of own label stuff, all the same sugar!

Nearest that I come to 'posh' around here is Sainsbury at Great Yarmouth, catering for posh chavs I suppose. I rarely go to our local Tesco but when I do, and compare their prices with our local Lidl, well every Lidl helps!  As for Lidls I do know some exceptionally rich and genuinely posh folk, regularly bump into them in there. We do have a local Aldi but that is stuffed to the gills with feral brats and mothers in either their night attire or onesies, don't often lower myself by going there :default_wink:!

As for shopping snobs, near neighbour gives me big laughs. He shops on line, Tesco always deliver well after dark, John Lewis & Waitrose (from Norwich) always deliver in daylight, generally at dog walking time, maximum exposure! Presumably he hasn't cottoned on to us curtain twitchers having cottoned onto this vaguely amusing idiosyncrasy of his! He sails so he isn't all bad! 

18 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We do have a local Aldi but that is stuffed to the gills with mothers in either their night attire or onesies

Oh erm... which Aldi would this be JM Sir?

I think I need to pay it a visit.....for some, erm, sugar you understand :default_norty:

When it comes to my food...I'm 'finicky' as we say up here. I pay very close attention to the quality of what I buy. Price is also a factor but cheap crap is cheap crap and I can spot and taste cheap crap a mile off.  A  recent altercation over the price of carrier bags in one store resulted in Ellie indulging me in a spot of research. We used several supermarkets and local vendors over several months to assess quality and price. It was quite an eye opener. We discovered that a weekly shop in Marks Food Hall was only £2.14 more expensive than the same weekly shop in Lidl. We discovered our local butcher far cheaper and superior in quality for meat joints than any supermarket and we discovered there is a vast difference in quality of 'own branded' products. The consequence is that we now split our shopping between several stores for several products based on quality rather than price as the price difference is minimal.

We no longer shop in Morrison's because Ellie won't pay 50p for a 5p carrier bag! :default_huh:

• Like 2

We use Ocado for the general shop as I can in the time and comfort of my home see where  food has been sourced from and what is in it. We use Riverford and Able and Cole for the veg and dairy produce for the same reason, again delivered. However I do make monthly trips to places like Aldi and B&M to stock up on toiletries, detergents and household items. Far cheaper than regular supermarkets (and Ocado). I might add, Ocado in my experience  is the most reliable of the online supermarkets and  ASDA by far the worse.

Fred

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

We no longer shop in Morrison's because Ellie won't pay 50p for a 5p carrier bag! :default_huh:

thats to encourage you to take your own bag, and if you forget your bag, take off your string vest and knot the end and use the arm holes for handles

• Haha 2

Aldi does a box of crackers (for cheese) that is without doubt the best we have ever had. Sadly they only appear at Christmas. We also shop at several different locations for much the same reasons that Timbo does. Last Spring we saw an advertisement for Aldi selling lamb at half price. While in there we bought a couple of leg joints.. They were absolutely gorgeous.  We've bought our lamb there ever since . One we took to our daughter's and  she asked where it had come from as it was so delicious. We went back and bought several more, stocking the freezer.  We see that they are having a siimilar offer during the  week before Christmas,  Needless to say we shall be  taking advantage of  that  - not just  because of the price but because of the quality.

Carole

• Thanks 1

I avoid exclusivity hence use Waitrose, Sainso’s and Lidl on rotation locally plus Tesco for home delivery. Aldi rarely but not never. Used to use Morrison’s when there was no alternative, avoid Asda altogether. Shop around for cleaning and toiletries at the local drugstore, far cheaper. Also use the local shop for a bottle of plonk after the others are shut, run out of sugar etc. Used to use Kwik Save in my student days in the west mirelands... tinned baked beans by the pallet!

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Nearer home, for me, we have the Cantley Sugar factory. Went there on a planning consultation and as we were there we were shown round, loads of own label stuff, all the same sugar! 

This reminds me of when I used to drive artics for a famous pocket-slapping supermarket chain and occeasionally had to collect 24 pallets from BSC, Bury. One time I was being loaded I noticed the lorry in the next bay being loaded with a product called, "I can't believe it's not sugar". I couldn't stop smiling, thinking, "I can't either; this is a sugar factory!" The product didn't last I think; maybe someone blabbed.

Another back load was cream cakes from a remote place near Worcester. You just had to ask, "Any spares mate?" and usually, when checking the load before sealing, there would be quite a few Tesco labelled cakes on the rear. I presume Tesco drivers went away with Asda cakes.

• Like 1

We used to use Asda almost exclusively until one day we went to do the shopping and they were having a massive clearance sale on clothes. Elaine spent an hour going through all the ladies and children's rails, we then did the food shop and as by this time it was getting towards 1:00pm we decided to stop in the cafe for lunch rather than visit the garden center we usually stopped at.

You can guess where this is heading. Ten days later a letter arrived with a parking charge notice as we had spent two hours and twelve minutes in their car park, as opposed to the permitted two hours. I returned it to them with the receipt for that day's shopping, over two hundred and ninety pounds plus a  list of our weekly shopping over the past year, well over four thousand pounds. Our weekly shop was rarely less than eighty quid, sometimes more than a hundred. The reply was standard paragraphs, contracted out blah blah blah, not our responsibility blah blah blah, clearly signed blah blah blah, get stuffed blah blah blah and signed (up) Yours, "The Asda Customer Care Team" My response was if you can't give a stuff about me then stuff you too. I have never been back. 

We tried Aldi because of a friends recommendation and haven't looked back. We don't shop there because of price, but because we like the products they sell. The vision of Aldi being a budget supermarket is spin peddled by the Orange, Blue Yellow and Green brigade concerned about their own market share and willingly swallowed by the gullible masses who enjoy being ripped off. Most of the brands sold in Aldi are easily equivalent to the market leading equivalents and some are better. There are one or two we don't like so much, and there is the issue that they don't have as complete a range as larger supermarkets so there are some things we need to get elsewhere, especially things like home baking products so for those things we tend to use Ocado who are daft enough to keep sending me money off vouchers. Every four to six weeks we get an email with x ponds off your next shop, or so much off your next three or four shops. We use one of those every couple of months or so to top up on things we can't get from Aldi. 

Having changed from using Asda we save between a quarter and a third off our old shopping bill, worth over a thousand pounds a year and found many products in Aldi we much prefer to what we were buying. 

• Like 4

I recently heard that whereas it used to  be having a Waitrose locally  that increased the value  of your house these days apparently it is having an Aldi that has  this. effect. We weren't sorry when they built a huge one in our small town having bought the local luck lustre Co-op. I find shopping there exactly as you describe Paul - What's not to like?

Carole

• Like 1