• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

SteveO

Boat Insurance

Having owned our boat for 10 years, I have just received a letter from my insurer, requiring that I have a full survey carried out by a qualified surveyor before they will renew cover on the same terms. Is this normal practice for broads boats and, if so, can anyone recommend a local surveyor  with a pragmatic and practical approach, who could carry out this work?  

The same thing happened with Moonlight Shadow a few years back.   BCBM organised the survey, can't remember who did it off hand though, sorry.

If it is over 20 feet and 30 years old then it is usually a requirement. After 30 years it is every five years.  I have recently hit the same problem and I couldn't find any company that was any different.

If you PM me i can tell you someone locally not to use, three months to get a very poor survey.

I had the same problem this year too. I ended up moving my insurance to Alan Boswell. They let you self survey your boat, basically a list of questions to answer all fairly straight forward and that was it. The price was competitive as well.

2 minutes ago, garryn said:

I had the same problem this year too. I ended up moving my insurance to Alan Boswell. They let you self survey your boat, basically a list of questions to answer all fairly straight forward and that was it. The price was competitive as well.

been with them for years, if i change boat they now require a survey, new rules

Steve, I had to have one in 2016 when she was 25 years old. 

I used Dominic Buckley from Brundal who came and did it at my mooring in Sutton Staithe. As the boat had to be out of the water for antifoul I combined the two to avoid two lift in and out charges

The cost was around £350 very thorough and he produces a comprehensive paper report, a cd incl pictures and an email link to forward the report to your insurers.

His phone numbers are:-

01603 712812 Home

07981 247107 Mobile

Boycee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steve I insure Bobella With IRCM, they needed a condition report 2 years ago so Sonny boulter did mine

Thanks guys. The surprising thing is that you can insure a £500,000 house, sight unseen, for a good deal less money than you can a £35,000 boat. I can't help thinking that someone is taking the p*ss.

• Like 2

Houses don't sink overnight, very rarely fall down of their own accord and tend to have a survey whenever they are sold.

They also tend not to be a complete loss if a claim is made as they are mostly occupied continuously, except when we are on our boats.

Tim Waters has always done our surveys. He is a former boat builder so is very well informed and "boat orientated"

Carole

• Like 1

I was very impressed with Dominic Buckley, and have no hesitation in recommending him. He produces a very comprehensive and easy to read report at (what I think) is a fair price. He also takes photographs and makes realistic recommendations for repairs. Our survey came in a nice little book and a CD which can be downloaded and sent to anyone who needs it. Steve Truss was also excellent and did our original survey, I have heard he is no longer on the Broads, but I could be wrong.   

• Like 1