Restoration.

Springsong

Hi Barry

just wanted to say how much we are enjoying seeing your restoration with you, lots of hard work, head scratching and anticipation ahead (not least from us when ours comes out of the water in September, you're making us nervous !) but she will be stunning i'm sure, thanks for taking the time to keep everyone up to date with progress,

all the best

Jax

Hi Barry! I've sent you an E/Mail but I'll put it here as well, can you ring Ken Nevard who I believe is making your gas tanks, it seems when you phoned him you forgot to leave him your phone number,,,

Regards Frank,,

Morning All

I have lost the plot a little this week, a combination of fumes tarvarnish, enamel paint, white sprit and wine, vodka doesn't smell. So forgive me if I repeat myself.

I haven't quite got used to getting the photos in the right order so we'll start with a tea/ coffee

break, and what's wrong with that I ask?

The next one shows very graphically how bad Mahogany is as a wood on the waterline. It really

does not like the continual wetting and drying, although I am told this is not as big a problem on sea going boats as the salt tends to pickle the wood.Looking towards the bottom left of

the photo you can see a short plank still with tavarnish on it and ending in a vertical black line.

This is more evidence of a bad repair. The plank runs through two planes coming from the stem and should run much further aft, the result is that the short plank has lifted at the end

dispelling the caulking and putty/filler. Looking at all the rot and poor repairs around and under the waterline the Gods of Breydon Water must have been smiling that December day last year.

The next photo gladdened me greatly. I found what I think is called the boot top line, you can

just make it out. It is the faint white line that is running parallel to the blue paint at the top of the picture. This line is scribed into the wood at the birth of the boat, but is often lost over the years with burning off of paint and sanding repairs etc. I was very glad to find this as I had always thought the waterline to be incorect.

post-133-136713402481_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713402489_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713402768_thumb.jpg

The first photo shows the floor and beare in place and all cleaned up, a very good job well done

The second is taken with ones back to the transom looking forward through where the aft bulhead used to be, and showing the next bulkhead between the galley to port and the heads to starboard,and Wills' beautifully crafted beams all in place.I now have about twoo weeks to finish painting all the tongue and groove which will be the inside of the saloon cabin roof.

More later have to go and paint.

post-133-136713402776_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713402783_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jonny

Just a quicky here I have at last got started on the tongue and groove for the inside of the saloon galley and heads roof. The top side is just having a single undercoat the side on show

will have two undercoats rubbed down betwee each coat and then a final coat of Blakes

cream enamel, the whole having had a good soaking in cuprinol whilst still bare wood.

As you can see the problem is not necessarily space but surfaces to lay the wood whilst painting it,and an overcoating time of 8--12 hours it's a once a day paint.

But we shall overcome as the song goes. :clapcheers

post-133-13671340279_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713402799_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713403069_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonny

The origional cabin roof was totally shot at so was burnt. Origionally it had a kind of faux suede headlining which we have also binned. We decided to use tonge & groove because whilst not origional we felt it to be reasonably period, and at the end of the day it came from B&Q at a favourable price, and when it's painted with a nice cream enamel with two undercoats I think, read that as hope, it will look like the dogs b******s. In fact I think the undercoat was more expensive than the wood. :o

Thank you all for your kind words, they certainly make the job easier and more fun.

Dave we will be there Thursday weather permiting.

Things are begining to hot up at the SP berth ashore ( hot up is a Norfolk term for ever so slightly faster.) The new aft bulkhead is in bar final fettling.

Whilst this was going on an idea kind of morphed out of thin air, the result being that we are

going to go back to the origional plan of the boat and have a full width galley between the

saloon and the aft cockpit.

We are only a four berth boat so really a heads is enough so we are going to update the existing one to port forward which has a washbasin already in it. To starboard where there was origionaly a wah basin some one latterly made this into a tiny quarter berth with legs sticking into the cockpit in a ghastly kind of raised seat, which was no use to man nor beast and made accessing and egressing very difficult, and we had already ripped out anyway.

So we are going to make this ex quarter bert into a wet/shower room/cabin.

post-133-136713403968_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713403973_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713403979_thumb.jpg

Whilst all that has been going on Ivor has been beavering away at the transom. New wood going in everywhere, you can see the new section behind the middle tansom also the new grey primer is hiding new wood covering the corner. Finally a new piece of Sapele being fettled fo the outer transom. This is really going to look the dogs whatsits when it has several layers of varnish on it.

Finally I don't know wether you can see the colour but this is the first top coat of cream for the inside of the new cabin roof.

The stripping of tarvarnish goes on and on and on etc. but it's a labour of :love

post-133-136713403986_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713403993_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713404265_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Jonny we will be having a nice new one probably chrome, but maybe S/S polished we shall have to see.

I have been a bit remiss not having posted for a while but apoor excuse I know but with all this painting and we seem to be down at Wayford twice a week I am getting quite tired.

So here we go.

This first section is all about the transom firstly the bottom board which will be below the water line, This has been epoxied on the back so that any future ingress of water will not affect the board from the , as well as being screwed it is also being clamped and wedged to help it take it's shape.

Next a bit of a jump but the second board being fastened by screws and copper nails which in the picture are being roved. Will in the picture is putting pressure on the head of the nail whilst inside the boat Ivor is hammering the other end flat, much like riveting.

The ends of the planks showing in the next picture are the ones that have to be replaced, although of course not through their full length, at least I sincerely hope not.

The screw and nail holes have now been plugged with plugs cut with a special tool from offcuts of the board used in the transom so that the colour and grain will match so looking good when varnished.

Finally the boards are being scraped with a flat scraper, not used so much in these days of fibre glass, but a superb way of getting a glass like flat surface for varnishing, but bloody hard work, which is why you wont see me doing too much of it, until we get to the cabin sides.

I'm going for a lie down now, back later.

post-133-136713405804_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713405808_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713406082_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671340609_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713406096_thumb.jpg

That's better a lie down and now a small libation to calm the whatever needs calming and away I go.

First picture is the new bulkhead looking aft not a very good photo but you get the idea, better are the next two showing the finishing detail around the edge which the tongue & groove will but up to.

The next one shows the third board being offered up, just look at that grain, that is going to look something with a few coats of yacht varnish on.

The last shows the kind of colour we should get, this being it's first coat of very thinned down varnish.

So all the progress this week has been outside as Will has taken a well earned break on his boat on the river, lucky so and so, still all things come to he who waits.

post-133-136713406103_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671340611_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713406376_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713406384_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671340639_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really having no luck with this. It's the forth atempt to post this cyber space must be getting near full of my atempts.

Fianally some real progress, the fact that it is something I have had a hand in might just have a bearing on the matter. Iam so pleased with the result with some varnish on the beams and another coat / touch up of the cream I think it will look something else. The varnish will darken the ash slightly which will contrast nicely with cream.

The beams were faired in and the tongue & groove was nailed and screwed to the beams. On Monday the remaining half dozen pieces will be fitted the outside surface will be sanded ready for sealing skim of epoxy to seal it. Thursday another layer of epoxy to bond the ply to the tongue & groove, we were going to use 4mm ply but in the interest of strength we have decided to go with 6mm, this should be strong enough for us to boogie late into the night at various venues including of course Ranworth staithe :wave:wave

The ply then has a fine woven fibre glass mat epoxied on to it which will either have colour in the epoxy on we will paint it with deck paint. I am torn at the moment, the coluor in the epoxy is definitely the hardest wearing but there is a very limited choice of colours whereas with paint the choice is much larger.

This process we intend to use on the decks which may well be the next bit of the project on the topsides, for this we have bought a sheet of 12mm ply, we are hopeing that one sheet will be suficient but on previous guesstimates probably not.

post-133-136713408563_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671340857_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713408835_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713408843_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713408848_thumb.jpg

We have taken this rotten plank out to let the air circulate around the forepeak, a good job really the smell in there was a little old and damp, but there doesn't appear to be any growths of fungus or any rotten timbers that we can see.

The transom is coming along a treat although Ivor would probably have something to say on that as he struggles with the boards on his own and sweats behind a flat scraper. So the fourth board is on but no varnish as yet we ran out of time but it is well covered from the weather.

I am still removing antifouling and tar varnish, it seems never ending but the end is now in sight at least as far as I can reach, but some poor soul has to spend rather a long time on his back in the not to distant future to get the bottom cleaned off, then at least we will no what we have to deal with, let the dog see the rabbit so to speak. cheers

post-133-136713408855_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713408862_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713409128_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the updates and pictures Barry. Fantastic job, I’m always very impressed with the skill and craftsmanship involved and it means that another beautiful wooden boat has been preserved. I bet you can’t wait for the day you can get her back in the water!!

cheersbar

Thanks Howard you are so right but I think next year, maybe even the year after.

Thanks Jill

Jonny I concur with Jill I guess to epoxy a boat of this size with West System would have to be in the region of £ 400 / £ 500 but that is pure guess. Once we have her up to scratch, slip her every other year or even every year there will be bareley anymore maintenance than on a plastic boat. The original planking has been there for fifty years some of the repairs have lasted less time than the origional, and as far as costs maybe £ 500 to £ 700 to do all the repairs ossmosis treatment on a boat this size £ 2000 to £ 5000. I know which I would rather have. When she is beyond economical repair left to moulder into the ground or a funeral pire how are these thousands of plastic boats goin to end their days, they can't be burnt they wont moulder, there will just be huge fridge mountains of cast of boats.

Sorry about that just one of my recurring thought for today.

hi Barry

looking great

jonny, sheathing the bottom of a wooden boat in epoxy, in my opinion is not onn :cry:

and should only be done as a very last resort

jill

I just wanted to see what you thought thats all Ive seen a couple of wooden boats and there hulls coated in GRP and just wounderd if there would be any pros and cons to doing it or just leaving it as it is.

Barry lovely work keep it coming mate can't wait till the next update I WANT TO SEE WHAT THE HELM IS GOING TO LOOK LIKE :-D :naughty: :-D i like that part of the boat 8-)