Springsong

Morning All

Just a quicky really to show you that I actually do things to this

restoration and don't just sit around and drink coffee.So please find

one photo of a very posed me sanding a hand rail at home on the

patio sitting obviously and just finished the tea. cheers

post-133-136713397551_thumb.jpg

Morning All

I am in my normal place minding my own business removing paint and lovely tar varnish,

there seems to be more banging than normal. It turns out that there has been a problem with the last beams cut. Will is in high dugeon :x he feels it is his fault and that he will have to stump up £ 200 odd to replace them. So I told him that accidents happen and that Jock would see it the same way, and anyway we still have the fore cabin and ultimately the canopy to do so I am sure the wood wont go to waste.

The result of all this is that he decided to start on the aft bulkheads which we need to replace.

Firstly all the furniture in the aft well had to come out the gas lockers and the steps.The step running from side to side was fixed down to prevent erant hirers from fiddling with steering cables, so when we replace it it will be hinged to give us access to the grease glands.

post-133-136713397559_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713397566_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713397832_thumb.jpg

Well that doesn't really explain all the noise and comotion perhaps this helps

Some of the galley ,heads, and bits of bulkhead.

You can see from the next photo the state of the bulkhead but equally you can see the floor below it is completely rotten. The floor is actually the beam running from side to side of the boat that takes all the cabin soles to give every thing their correct names. Water has obviously

been coming in the aft well over the years, either through no cover or over 49 years just badly made/fitting covers. Anyway whatever the cause the result is that black piece of wood with white spots.When we get to the point of new covers the aft cockpit cover will fasten on the cabin roof and stretch right over to the transom and faster between 6" to 1' foot down the transom a la Broom captains and comanders etc.

The next three are the cockpit stripped the heads/shower almost stripped and the galley completely stripped

post-133-13671339784_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713397847_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713397853_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671339786_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713398141_thumb.jpg

Whilst all this is going on inside Ivor is being equally destructive outside. He is taking off the outer skin of 3/8" Mahogany off the transom. There is a layer of calico between the inner and outer transoms this aparently is a common (or is that was) practise see the photo of the rubbish and you can see it quite clearly.

The board running across the bottom of the transom at first sight we thought might be oak and therefore we could leave on, closer inspection revealed it to be ply wood with Iroke ends on it ,so off it is going to come.

So this just goes to show we can all make our own mess like gooduns. :-D

But Will wins with the kitchen sink :wave

cheers

post-133-136713398149_thumb.jpg

:wave hi Barry just read this thread for the first time very impressive great to see you hard at it after your personal setback i bet shes going to look a treat when shes done keep the great work going and us drooling with the pics as she comes along cheers

Thanks Jonny Thanks Stranger

Well this week not a huge amount of work,Will has finished removing the lockers and steps in the aft cockpit. There has been water ingress either through a badly fitting cover or no cover at all over the cockpit thus along with the limber holes being blocked with crud stagnant water

has lain covering the planking and lapping the hog. Therefor we have a little bit of rot in the hog and both garboard planks, not a huge problem but hasle.

You can see in the pictures where the paint on the bearer is missing just where the water has lain for sometime.

So the good news :-D Ivor has sourced some 10" mahogany planks for the transom and also

plenty of mahogany for the rest of the planking, and the off cuts from the cabin roof beams

can be used for the frame work for the new lockers and steps.

So over the next couple of weeks we should see some going in rather than out

post-133-136713399725_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713399734_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we are and another week has gone by.

This week has not an aweful amount to show but

at least things are going back in,

Firstly Ivor making a new floor to a rough shape out of Iroko. Next it has to be brought

in to have the more intricate measurements taken. As you can see the floor although

structural is made in two halves, which is good news otherwise I don't think we could

have got the new one in.

post-133-136713400061_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713400336_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713400344_thumb.jpg

Well terrific that's the second time I have been thrown out and lost all the script. Third time lucky!!

Whilst Ivor has been busy so has Will putting in all the new framework for the lockers

steps and gas lockers. Speaking of lockers I have been trying to get prices for off the

shelf gas lockers, the only one I have found has been Calor at £ 259.01 at least Dick Turpin

wore a mask two guns . So this is making £ 125.00 for a locally sourced S/S one look

very resonable. Did I say very ? well you know what I mean, we need two.

So the Ash for the new beams has been delivered as has the marine ply, the Mahogany

planks and the Sapele for the new transom in 10" boards, not as I first thought

Mahogany the cost of which is prohibitive.

We have decided that all the upright facings of the aft cockpit will be in hardwood

tongue and groove which will mean no large areas of ply which can look, I don't know

if bland is the right word, but you know what I mean.

The stripping of the hull goes on and on and on etc. etc. but someone has to do it :wave

post-133-136713400351_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713400358_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713400365_thumb.jpg

I called in to See Barry On Thursday,

What a great job the team are doing :) THis is going to be a fantastic finished product. Im hoping there will be a launch party

to end all Launch parties ;)

Barry, many thanks for the Pic CDs :) Im still going through them :)

Hello All

On Wednesday Jock and I went on a kind of equipment reconnaisance as the time is fast approaching where we shall at least have to have the measurements of the hardware we

are going to fit. Our first stop was to Marine and Industrial at Worstead to purchase an

amount of West System epoxy and all the paraphenalia that goes with it. Difficult to

estimate the quantaties needed on a job like this, both cabin roofs, canopy, and probably

most if not all the decks. Suffice to say after joint heart attacks and several hundred

pounds lighter, or probably the other way around,we left a little subdued.

Onwards and upwards we then went to see my good friend Peter Applegate at Wroxham

Marine in Griffin Lane. My thinking being that he builds cruisers for hire charter and private

use therefore he should be able to guide us through the imensely complex area of boat

electrics and the equipment that is not only available but that which would be most suitable

for our purposes. We started off with 5 kw inverters with generators 6 AGM batteries and ended up with 1.6 kw inverters with 3 AGM batteries. A really helpful discussion because

my knowledge of modern electrical product is very limited. Then we talked about Loos or

WCs to the more refined of you, Jill. We had looked at the Vetus with built in macerator

but a £600 odd pounds (ok without any discounts) and we need two we felt that a little

rich, again Peter uses the Jabsco equivalent, not as good looking but at half the price

has to be a contender.fridges came next, so all in all a very useful morning, our thanks

to Peter and Steve at A.R.Peachment for their help and their time.

Tell you what Jonny I haven't worked the grey cell (my last one) so hard for many a while.

Now to work.

This week although some things actually went back in some more had to come out. Needless to say we found some more rot but there you go. A couple of weeks ago at the yard a fellow came up for a chat and said he remembered Star having some serious money spent on her,

I forget where, probably a good job, a good amount of this rot has been going on for many years and some of the repairs have been penny pinching to say the least as the photo shows.

The piece hanging down is I think a piece of copper although someone else thinks it's lead,

anyway it was nailed on to cover a rotten piece of plank!! Delaying not curing. Whilst doing

my paint removal I have constantly found small pieces of erroneous wood let in where a plank

should have been put in thus allowing the rot to progress.

In no particular order the new floor fettled and ready for it's final fitting,the rotten wood being

chopped out.New and old some of the old bulkhead leaning against the new awaiting it's final cut to fit.The new floor in it's final place, with just the old to be chopped out.

post-133-13671340066_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713400667_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713400674_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713400681_thumb.jpg

The first picture shows in the top left the remains of the shower tray/box a wierd construction

which is proving rather stuborn to remove, I can feel a large Birmingham screw driver coming on. The next one shows the detail of the beam and the capping between the beams, the strange blue is not artistry but it was begining to spit with rain, so covers on :o

Next another veiw of the floor during fitting, and finally a boatbuilders lot Ivor not in his

favourite position, but I suspect we may see him in it a good many times yet.

I have all the tongue and groove in my daughters' and son in laws new extention. The roof is on so I have this lovely big space to work in but I can't got in. Four weeks ago they asked the scaffolder to come and remove it,we have come to the conclusion he is using there house as a kind of storage depot, another week lost. I am begining to really worry for the day fast approaches when Will must need it for the cabin roof,here's hoping for this week.

Regards Barry

post-133-136713400992_thumb.jpg

post-133-1367134010_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713401006_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713401013_thumb.jpg