Newfies Afloat

Tempest

Wonderful meal at the Ferry House

Fred, Julie and I had Sunday roast with a mix of beef and pork, Lisa had the roast with chicken and dad had the lamb shank.

All reported that the food was first class and highly recommended

Roxy, Yogi and Alfie (2 Newfies and their shitzu mate) got lots of attention from the staff and other customers

Back on Moonlight Shadow now and the wind has gone, the river is calm and we are extremely relaxed!

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0340.JPG

• Like 7

At the New Inn Rockland St Mary tonight

Dad got a train home today so it's just Julie and I with Roxy and Yogi

Dad enjoyed the time on Moonlight Shadow, but he appears to have a "water infection" as been visiting the loo every 20 minutes and in some discomfort for the last 48 hours day and night!!

Offered to take him to a local walk in centre, but he would rather go see his own GP

Lovely morning on the river as we travelled from Rockland Staithe to Reedham village to give the dogs a good walk and visit the store before making our way down the Chet to Loddon where we are now moored for the next 24 hours

We considered staying at Reedham, but the quay was so muddy as the tide had obviously recently gone over the quay and as there was still 3 hours to high tide and the water was lapping the top of the quay, we thought we would head to Loddon instead 

We also called at the public toilets behind the Ship public house at Reedham village, thinking they would be open, but there is a sign on the doors stating that they are only open at weekends in the winter months.

Update from Dad is he has  been diagnosed with an infection which requires him to be catheterised for 2 weeks whilst he is on a course of medication, so although the procedure was uncomfortable, he now is more comfortable and is feeling much better.

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

• Like 5

I just love reading all these blogs. Thank you for sharing your story and great photos. Looks like some fine weather! We can't make it back to the Broads, after a long gap, until May next year but at least I can visit "by proxy" via these blogs.

• Like 2

Called in the King's Head at Loddon last night after taking the dogs on a good walk around Pye's Mill.

The pub was very cold as the central heating wasn't on and they struggled to light the fire, albeit Roxy and Yogi didn't appear to mind 

We then had a Lims Chippy tea which was excellent as we ordered 2 standard size cod, portion of chips and a portion of peas which was as ample

Left Loddon this morning and now having lunch at Langley dyke 

It's dry today, but definitely colder as the air has a real chill about it today 

Snow is forecast tomorrow, so heading back to base today to get tucked up on our home mooring

I have attached some pictures taken in the King's Head, whilst travelling down the Chet and at our lunch time mooring at Langley Dyke

FB_IMG_1582719651054.jpg

DSC_0349.JPG

DSC_0350.JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0352.JPG

FB_IMG_1582720125955.jpg

FB_IMG_1582720129118.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

We used to call in at the Kings Head whenever we were moored in Loddon when the Robinsons rented the restaurant and kitchen from the pub. We had some great meals there at this time. Since they left a few years ago we tend to go to the Queens or White Horse.

Regards

Alan 

Thanks Alan, we only called in because our walk ended up near there

It was fine, staff great, clientele welcoming and dog friendly...just a little cold

We have been in the White Horse before and enjoyed it and we haven't been in the Swan as didn't know if it was dog friendly, but don't know the Queen's?

So last night we had a choice for our evening meal

Bridge Inn, Acle

Fur and Feather, Woodbastwick

Maltsters, Ranworth

Swan, Horning

We ummed and arred................. then drove to the Ferry House, Surlingham, because this is fast becoming our favourite pub on the broads.

So welcoming, so dog friendly and is very big dog friendly, nothing is too much trouble for them, they do a fantastic breakfast and Sunday roast, so why not.

We still love the many other venues but the Ferry House is definitely top of our list

Julie had Lamb Shank and I had Beef and Ale pie and both of us loved our choice

Today we had a drive to Roys of Wroxham and then went and parked at the village hall in Horning and had the dogs out on a Horning circular walk which lasted about an hour

Back to the boat and tonight we are going to order and Acle Spice Indian Curry to be delivered which we will eat on board

The weather was a little grim this morning, and it is pretty cold out, especially when the sun drops behind a cloud, but its fine when wrapped up and when the sub comes out it is glorious this time of year.

We have certainly enjoyed our week to date.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

How was the Indian? Hear it is good but haven't tried it myself yet.

Not great in our opinion

We have used Ali Spice at Coltishall many times and has always been superb.

Acle Spice?

It was Ok, but....

Julie had Chicken Bhuna with Pilau rice and the chicken was quite tough, albeit the sauce was nice, a little hot for her tastes

I had chicken Madras and again I thought the chicken, which was in chunks was quite tough, the sauce was Ok, but nothing special

We ordered poppadoms with Mango chutney and what we expected was spiced onions as starter

The poppadoms were fine, the chutney watery and the onions...well I have chopped onions finer in a stew... and no, they didn't come with any spice

So for us..

Acle Spice won't be used again, but we can't wait to try Ali Spice at Coltishall as they have always been first class for us

Interesting program on the telly tonight about dieting. The calories and unhealthy goodies in a curry meal, arghhhh! As much as I love good Indian food I think I'd best avoid all Indian restaurants and takeaways. 

PS, agree about the Acle one. 

PPS, there is a very fine Indian Restaurant at Oulton Broad https://www.laboneindiancuisine.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I for one do not want to live to be 111yrs old.

Absolutely agree, not only that but after asking around, nobody else wants me to reach 111 either. I've been told that reaching my next birthday is a bit optimistic if they have their way.

12 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Hopefully the new Italian in Brundall will be open and do takeaway or even better a delivery service soon if people like Italian food.

As long as their not pasta their best.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Absolutely agree, not only that but after asking around, nobody else wants me to reach 111 either. I've been told that reaching my next birthday is a bit optimistic if they have their way.

I thought that antiquities were your game?

I look at pictures of Prince Phillip and seriously wonder if being 90 plus really is worth the effort. Might change my mind if and when I get there but at the moment I have no great enthusiasm at the prospect!

Here I sit, right now, next to a 92 year old lady who can't hear too well, can't see too well but can just about make out and enjoy the snooker on telly. She smokes B&H, drinks the best part of half a bottle of Vermouth each evening, is warm and dry and gets waited on hand and foot.

I hear no complaints from that direction! 

• Like 2