Newfies Afloat

Tempest

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We’re not due to be on MS until 1st May. Seems ages away...! I was going to say ‘can’t wait’, but I guess we’ll have to. Roll on May!

Helen would you believe it we are due on Lightning on May 1st also hope to see you there we were planning to extend our week to visit family but hotel just cancelled 

should be in March too but that’s not happening but May surely we can finally get to visit 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, snunn said:

but May surely we can finally get to visit 

Hope so. Would be lovely to meet you. Socially distanced naturally!

We also had a family cottage holiday booked for mid-May, but that has been postponed (yet again) until September. So frustrating to have to postpone a holiday and family meet up which if taken just a few days later would be fine. 

• 2 months later...

Up at 5am tomorrow, setting off at 6am for the long, but worthwhile journey to Brundall across the M62 down the A1, onto the A47 and next stop Broom Boats and Moonlight Shadow...............

Really cant wait!!!

We will have my brother and sister in law with us who are regular boaters, but have never visited the southern broads before and hopefully this will wet their appetite for future visits

Give us a wave or come and say hello to us and our dogs (Roxy and Yogi) if you are around as we plan to take in Beccles, Oulton Broad, Loddon, Reedham and a few other locations

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire

You beware of the Freeman Owners Meet at Beccles this weekend Warren :default_norty:

Moonlight Shadow was on her berth as I passed by earlier today, unfortunately it's no longer possible to see if the week's allocation is still on board or not but I will keep my eye open for MS, I doubt I'd ever miss that particular boat :default_biggrin:

38 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

You beware of the Freeman Owners Meet at Beccles this weekend Warren :default_norty:

Moonlight Shadow was on her berth as I passed by earlier today, unfortunately it's no longer possible to see if the week's allocation is still on board or not but I will keep my eye open for MS, I doubt I'd ever miss that particular boat :default_biggrin:

I have booked a mooring at Beccles Quay for Sunday so those Freeman's best not take our slot or I will set my dogs on them!!😎🤪🤣😂

Guest Jayfire
2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I have booked a mooring at Beccles Quay for Sunday so those Freeman's best not take our slot or I will set my dogs on them!!😎🤪🤣😂

I'm sure they'll behave mate....you just need to worry about the Broads renegade Freeman owner 😁

2 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Have a great week Warren and Michel. Hope the weather behaves for you and that you find some good walks for the dogs. Carlton Marshes walk from Beccles is one of our favourites. 

Thanks Helen

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Give us a wave or come and say hello to us and our dogs (Roxy and Yogi) if you are around as we plan to take in Beccles, Oulton Broad, Loddon, Reedham and a few other locations . . . . . . . . . ..

We’re out on Norfolk Lady over the weekend, Warren, so we’ll keep a lookout for you.

Have a good break!!  Hope the weather improves for you 😁

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire

Well you obviously know I'm out this weekend too Warren, I'll give you a clue as to where I am tonight and therefore somewhere to try and avoid when you first arrive tomorrow...

...The view from my mooring :default_norty:

20210528_192919.thumb.jpg.ed9871203e9feb4b5e6702e691479e35.jpg

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

We’re out on Norfolk Lady over the weekend, Warren, so we’ll keep a lookout for you.

Have a good break!!  Hope the weather improves for you 😁

The weather always brightens up when the Barlows enter Norfolk!!
:default_biggrin:

Guest Jayfire
16 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Be good to have a catch up, but if not have a wonderful time

Wouldn't dream of intruding on your family time mate but I'll be sure to give you a wave if I see you around.

You all have a great time too 😊 

• 3 weeks later...

I know its late and I do apologise for that, but as soon as I got home I ended up to my eyeballs in work, travelling to London and back to Bolton, with meetings galore etc!!!

But less of that, what about our latest trip on Moonlight Shadow?

Well we arrived at Broom Boats where she is moored just after midday on Saturday 29th May and after chatting with the boatyard found that she was ready to board and all the pre-checks had been completed

image.thumb.png.0b4fe69048ec54fa816b1aaef887c1aa.png

On this trip we had our Newfies Roxy and Yogi and my brother Paul and Sister in Law Lorraine (who had both never been on the southern broads before)

Moonlight Shadow was in her new mooring having been moved from the main river berth to a side berth and we actually felt it was a better location as she was better protected but we didnt realise that the electric hook up needed the 32amp to 16am converter as previously this was left on the boat for use, but now it was actually at use also at her home base..............

So guess what..........we didnt take it with us and when we came to use it, it was not in the cupboard!

Doh!

The first day we loaded the boat and then headed for Reedham and moored up on the grass area just downstream from the Reedham Ferry Inn as we had booked a meal that evening

One note of caution!

When the tide is low we found that you are actually sitting on the bottom of the river along this bank as when we tried to move off in the morning nothing happened until we gave her a bit of throttle and mud was thrown up

Personally I would think twice about mooring here again or leaving at low water

We walked along the river edge into Reedham village and had a drink at the Lord Nelson whilst we noticed that the Ship was closed and I dont know when its due to open again, but I hope it does soon as we like this place very much and then we made our way back with the dogs to the Reedham Ferry area in order to ready ourselves for evening meal

The meal that evening was excellent and I can highly recommend the Ferry Inn at Reedham

In the morning we made our way to Reedham by boat for a "nature break" and then commenced our journey towards Beccles which would be our final destination.

We had a lovely break at the Waveney River Centre image.thumb.png.9c58feae3618c079c44e9b01edacb46e.png

For lunch and even had a drink at the Waveney Innimage.thumb.png.662fdd18eafd09e13195782d31f7e684.png

It was very hot that day and the back of my neck was burning, hence the baseball cap on back to front, I can assure you I am no cool dude!!!

We then made our way on a lovely day to Beccles and as a village/Town we just love it as it has character, charm and everything you could need (Large Tesco!!)
image.thumb.png.7fe3bb65e9eea1f27db4ba4e7aa4b881.png

We had a great evening in Beccles and then made our way slowly to Oulton Broad which would be our stop on the Bank Holiday Monday

image.thumb.png.b4d41d11070c5a9387c93626708dd36c.png

We love Oulton Broad and have been many, many times...................but we had never visited the Commodore pub, until this occasion
image.thumb.png.bb43967eb6c6eb07f72adf9595b1d899.png

What a fantastic pub

Well organised, great service and great views 

We will definitely be visiting again and cant believe after so many years we had never been here before

Next we headed to Loddon for what is always one of my favourite trips down the Chet as I love to just saunter down as slow as possible and enjoy the tranquillity of the location and watch the world go by

image.thumb.png.a6cecfe229ba341fad3deea7a38039bc.png

image.thumb.png.a6072131aa578cb0ac90f31c676a0696.png

We had booked a meal at the White Horse at Chedgrave (over the bridge to the right of the public staithe) and it didnt disappoint with really good food and excellent service as we found a table outside and had a lovely meal

image.thumb.png.8c5147fb6320af4cb53b206dceda4499.png

The next day we made our way to the Commissioners Cut (which we loved) but we made our way to the Rushcutter Pub and probably had the worst experience we have ever had in over 30 years of visiting the broads...........

But I will leave that to my next post

• Like 8

Lovely to read about your week.
I read your review of the Rushcutters on Google, so not surprised you weren’t impressed. 
We had a similar ‘doh’ moment, as we’d been searching for the shore power adapter that lived in the aft wardrobe, only to realise later in the week it was being employed on the mooring shore power link. At least we know where it is now! :default_biggrin:

Looking forward to our next stay on MS. Only 10 sleeps to go!

• Like 1

When we arrived at Commissioners Cut it was a very hot day and our dogs were really struggling to find somewhere cool to rest, so it was my suggestion to make the short walk into Thorpe and to the Rushcutters as it had been many years since I had visited to the venue and my idea was to find a table outside near to the river with a large umbrella and give them somewhere they could lie down and relax for a while in a nice shady spot.

This didnt really go to plan........

As we walked to the Rushcutter, there was no signage of the pending events and we made our way to one of the empty tables with a brolley, when we were approached by one of the waiters who told us we had to go in via the front of the pub and check in.

I said if it was OK I would stay with the dogs and the other 3 members of the party would go and check in and then once they got back to the table I would go and check in also

The waiter said yes this was fine so I took my rucksack off my back which contained a large bottle of water and dog bowl and proceeded to give the dogs a drink whilst Julie, Paul and Lorraine made their way to the front of the pub

They returned a short time later with glum faces saying that the manager has told them that they are accepting no walk-ins as all tables where booked

image.thumb.png.a5fe058d6a8f54e802c79574cd40937b.png

The place was empty
image.thumb.png.1ffb431300e83fb2705292ada932d8fd.png

Apart from a few people on the odd table

image.thumb.png.bca8bc8d4ef3b883a77adb31cafb3488.png

Julie told me a party of 8 were just behind her and they were told the same and the landlord was very dismissive and aggressive when he told her

I said dont worry about it and continued to give Roxy and Yogi a drink of water before embarking on the journey back to the boat

As I watered the dogs the manager came out and just stood staring at us from a distance which I just found amusing as I would have loved him to come over and say something to me, but I think as a stared back at him, he thought better of it. At this time my dogs where the priority not a man with little manners or care for customers both 2 or 4 legged

When we did get back we tried to cool the dogs down and we set up a barbecue and started to prepare some food whilst having a couple of drinks

image.thumb.png.d9c1e9daf8141b0dda3672858d78f086.png

Commissioners Cut is a very popular place as it is used by walkers, joggers and those just wanting to do the loop around a nature trail which can take around 20 minutes to complete so we had many people to chat to and 2 lovely lads came walking by and stopped for a chat and started to tell us about the village and whats available and that included the various pubs, although they did say, we dont recommend the Rushcutter as the manager is a very aggressive person who even the locals arent keen on, instead they suggested the Oaklands Hotel which is on the opposite side of the road to the rushcutter closer to the moorings and up a driveway, which they said has outdoor seating allows dogs and is really friendly

We just found it interesting that we had such a poor experience at the place and now we were being advised not to go there but try a different place instead

But nonetheless we had a lovely barbecue and evening on the moorings, the dogs cooled down and we chatted to many locals, whilst watching the rowers go up and down the yare and the abundance of wildlife in the area

image.thumb.png.eead0a24e47fd9f7908f96d26d832b15.png

Next morning we set off to Whitlingham Country Park BA moorings which have electric points and there is a lovely cafe with clean toilets within which we went for breakfast. Its a little bit pricey, but it is a country park cafe and the prices where no more than expected

The Country Park is great for walking dogs, but be mindful that there is a lot of ducks, geese, swans etc which the park attendees obviously feed so dogs do need to be kept under control.

Our dogs are fine around wildlife and livestock as they are used to the farms where we live, but I still always keep them on a tight lead when near them

I do recommend this stop, but just across from the moorings is a railway line which was quite busy and I suggest could be noisy and did break up the tranquillity of the location every 15 minutes or so..

We stayed there until around 2pm and then started the journey at a crawling 3mph to the Ferry House, Surlingham where we had booked a mooring

This stretch of river is just stunning and the weather was glorious, the water still as a millpond and for a period I just sat on the bow watching the world go by as my brother took the helm and Moonlight Shadow on the journey to Surlingham

We had booked a meal that night and decided we would have the full breakfast in the morning and none disappointed, although I will never have the large breakfast again as I felt like a beached whale for most of the day afterwards as it was huge with ample toast, juice and teas or coffee

image.thumb.png.ba15772a365702d19426c541ae3fb74c.png

This is Paul and Lorraine getting in the mood on the Thursday evening at Surlingham

We also saw a stunning car in the car park which I had to take a picture or 2

image.thumb.png.996a4d9829cdb2cc4375a0e16e04a118.png

image.thumb.png.8c630b77479cd94c02a82a57ffcb5789.png

image.thumb.png.20147bc7181a8329fd52da749b085c01.png

The evening was glorious
image.thumb.png.13824f4fc0c2af7d149734a9c70cf82f.pngimage.thumb.png.45831d3367aa97ef5fb9123a8b8200bb.png

After breakfast we "bimbled" back to Brundall filled up with fuel, water and had a pump out before taking her back to the moorings and commenced the obligatory clean to get her back into sparkling condition for the next owner to use her the following day

We had a quiet day and evening, with a meal at the Yare to finish off the trip, before a good nights sleep and the long journey home

We absolutely loved this trip and my brother and sister in law will definitely be visiting the southern broads again as they also really enjoyed it and commented how beautiful it was and how nice all the locations were 

We now cant wait for our return in August when we will be joined by our son Michael, and his girlfriend April

• Like 3

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We had a similar ‘doh’ moment, as we’d been searching for the shore power adapter that lived in the aft wardrobe, only to realise later in the week it was being employed on the mooring shore power link.

Would have been nice for whoever moved MS in the first place to let the syndicate owners know or at the very least the Chair so he can inform the rest of us

But no harm done and we soon worked it out

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

. . . . . .We had a similar ‘doh’ moment, as we’d been searching for the shore power adapter that lived in the aft wardrobe, only to realise later in the week it was being employed on the mooring shore power link. At least we know where it is now! :default_biggrin: . . . . . . . . .

21 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Would have been nice for whoever moved MS in the first place to let the syndicate owners know . . . . . . . .

Perhaps the easiest solution would be for the syndicate to invest in a new shore power lead with a 16amp connector and a 32amp converter lead.  Cost would be circa £60 as long as it’s not supplied by the home yard.  That is, in my opinion, the more usual way to do it.  Perhaps suggest it to the Chair?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

That is, in my opinion, the more usual way to do it.  Perhaps suggest it to the Chair?

It's as broad as it is long and isn't an issue unless you sail off without it!

Doh!

Ohh yes I forgot to mention when we refueled the pump attendant said the last owner dropped the fuel cap key in the drink last time out and it sunk to the bottom!

One float obviously wasn't enough

So the owner had to run to Wards to buy s new one

My brother though had a magnet and duly recovered the key so we now have 2 onboard

👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

It's as broad as it is long and isn't an issue unless you sail off without it!

Agreed, but having the lead with the 16amp end as the main lead and the converter in the wardrobe would guarantee that the most widely used connection is always with the boat.

My two penn’orth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Agreed, but having the lead with the 16amp end as the main lead and the converter in the wardrobe would guarantee that the most widely used connection is always with the boat.

My two penn’orth.

I agree and concur as they would say in my old job..

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

I do recommend this stop, but just across from the moorings is a railway line which was quite busy and I suggest could be noisy and did break up the tranquillity of the location every 15 minutes or so..

We stopped overnight at Whitlingham for the first time in May. Actually, the noise of the trains didn't bother us, maybe because we often stay on our home mooring in Brundall during winter breaks, and that's  pretty close to the railway line. What did wake us up in the morning was rowers. Firstly the rowers chatting to each other (bordering on shouting at each other) and, even worse, the guy in a rather noisy training boat shouting instructions at trainee rowers through a megaphone. I thought that was a bit much before 7am!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We stopped overnight at Whitlingham for the first time in May. Actually, the noise of the trains didn't bother us, maybe because we often stay on our home mooring in Brundall during winter breaks, and that's  pretty close to the railway line. What did wake us up in the morning was rowers. Firstly the rowers chatting to each other (bordering on shouting at each other) and, even worse, the guy in a rather noisy training boat shouting instructions at trainee rowers through a megaphone. I thought that was a bit much before 7am!

Just seen this about the Whitlingham moorings posted by BA which is disappointing

"Update regarding Whitlingham Country Park moorings

The Broads Authority wishes to inform boaters that the electricity supply to pillars at Whitlingham Country Park moorings will be disconnected on Wednesday July 28 2021

This step is required in order to remove infrastructure in readiness for the management of the moorings (which are owned by Whitlingham Charitable Trust) to be handed back to the Trust in September 202

Authority management of these moorings is no longer cost effective given the ongoing challenges of the site and new leasing costs introduced by the Trust

This area of the Yare/Wensum has a number of other mooring sites available, including Authority managed moorings at Commissioners Cut, where major improvements and refurbishments are being planned for winter 2021/22. This includes major piling work and investigation into the widening of the entrance to this mooring basin so that more boats can use the facilities

The Whitlingham Charitable Trust has not stated its intentions regarding future use of the moorings. Please contact the Whitlingham Charitable Trust if you have any questions regarding the future of the site"

That is disappointing, though I must admit we weren’t planning to stop overnight at Whitlingham again. (Those rowers!). It’s only a couple of hours from our home mooring, so we have cruised there several times out of season for a lunch stop and a walk for Seren before making our way back to Brundall.