Newfies Afloat

Tempest

8 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

That is disappointing, though I must admit we weren’t planning to stop overnight at Whitlingham again. (Those rowers!). It’s only a couple of hours from our home mooring, so we have cruised there several times out of season for a lunch stop and a walk for Seren before making our way back to Brundall.

You do get used to the rowers. It can be quite interesting watching them, from singles to coxed eights. Inevitably there are newbies too, youngsters (and older rowers) out for the first time. The safety boats do create a lot of bouncy wash but of course they’re necessary. 
I shall miss Whitlingham if there are no moorings there in future. It’s a great place to stop off if you are going into Norwich the next day, or if you leave the city and don’t want to go too far. Great walks there too. 

• Like 1

I love watching the rowers normally, and am happy to slow down our progress to allow them to pass us safely. It was just the early wake up. They obviously feel they have priority. Never mind about other river users who might be sleeping.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

QUESTIONS

Just some advice please

We are due down on Moonlight Shadow week commencing 14th August and was thinking of going up towards Geldeston which means navigating Beccles Old Bridge (if tides allow) on the Tuesday and back Wednesday (17th and 18th August)

What are the moorings like up at Geldeston? 

Are there usually spaces and is it worth the run as its been over 15 years since we did this stretch? (I note low water at Beccles is currently showing around 2.15pm and 3.15pm respectively) 

Also I note Rowan Craft is located off a spur and it looks (from Google!!) that there are moorings in this location, but do they have visitor moorings? (I checked Aweigh and none are shown)

Any advice would be much appreciated

• Like 1

There are two of three visitor moorings on the right bank of the cut heading towards Rowan craft I think there are a couple of rings but mainly you will need pins 

At the Locks there are 24 hour BA moorings for about five boats they can get busy at times

You use to be able to moor on the field opposite the Locks but not sure if you can now

Ray

• Thanks 1

Hi Tempist Rowan craft dont hire so no moorings but there are river bank wild moorings with a walk to Werry pub or go straight on there are 24 hour moorings at pub along with wild moorings, dont cut the inside bends at low tide some are very shallow. John

• Thanks 1

Hi Warren,

We haven’t yet taken MS up to Geldeston but hope to one day. We been there on NBD’s Fair Regent and also on Water Rail and moored overnight on both occasions in Geldeston Dyke which leads to Rowancraft. I wouldn’t like to try to take MS into their yard, and there’s no need to as the dyke has good wild moorings, just have your rond anchors ready. Last time we moored there it was a lot more overgrown though, so care is needed getting of the boat. 
If you turn to port instead of starboard before getting to the dyke you’ll get to the free moorings that are near the Locks Inn. Proper moorings, so easier, but my preference is still to moor in the Dyke.

Helen

• Thanks 1

The last few times we’ve been to the Locks, there have been umpteen paddle boarders, canoes and kayaks. I think the Big Dog Ferry from Beccles has a mooring reserved too. It really is pot luck as you could strike lucky with a boat just leaving or having left to get back under Beccles bridge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Hi Warren,

We haven’t yet taken MS up to Geldeston but hope to one day. We been there on NBD’s Fair Regent and also on Water Rail and moored overnight on both occasions in Geldeston Dyke which leads to Rowancraft. I wouldn’t like to try to take MS into their yard, and there’s no need to as the dyke has good wild moorings, just have your rond anchors ready. Last time we moored there it was a lot more overgrown though, so care is needed getting of the boat. 
If you turn to port instead of starboard before getting to the dyke you’ll get to the free moorings that are near the Locks Inn. Proper moorings, so easier, but my preference is still to moor in the Dyke.

Helen

Really helpful

Thank you Helen

We may try for the locks mooring and if none available have a contingency plan for the dyke

• Like 1

Last summer we came across a lot of paddle boarders and canoes on that stretch. However, the pace up there is so slow anyway, it’s not as much hassle as coming across paddlers and canoes further down river, even though it’s narrower. I did notice that some paddlers don’t seem to hear a motor boat creeping up behind them though, so had to use my horn. 

on the spur to rowancraft, there is geldeston staithe this is where I usually try to moor, there are 2 posts, but they are not great (but theres no flow to speak of) and there is the remains of a quay heading at that point, other than that we have moored 3 jewels and Broad Ambition on that section so there is room for 4 decent sized boats on the bank above the staithe, at the locks there are decent quay headings and posts, but if its warm there is usually a lot of noise from the kids throwing themselves in the river by the old lock.

on the rowancraft spur, do be careful as you approach as the camp site has a canoe / paddle board launching area which can also get full of swimmers at the end of the camping field thats opposite, not too much noise from the campsite at night either.

below pictures show the 'staithe' section

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Last time we were there on Water Rail, the staithe bit was occupied by a day boat. We moored up further up the dyke and then moved the boat on her ropes once the day boat had left. It's definitely easier to get off than the staithe bit.

Like Grendel, we can report that we didn't find the camp site at all noisy. We thought it might be as there were two families dining outdoors together just opposite to where we moored, but they were just chatting and laughing, not rowdy, and once past the kids bedtime they were very quiet.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, grendel said:

on the spur to rowancraft, there is geldeston staithe this is where I usually try to moor, there are 2 posts, but they are not great (but theres no flow to speak of) and there is the remains of a quay heading at that point, other than that we have moored 3 jewels and Broad Ambition on that section so there is room for 4 decent sized boats on the bank above the staithe, at the locks there are decent quay headings and posts, but if its warm there is usually a lot of noise from the kids throwing themselves in the river by the old lock.

on the rowancraft spur, do be careful as you approach as the camp site has a canoe / paddle board launching area which can also get full of swimmers at the end of the camping field thats opposite, not too much noise from the campsite at night either.

below pictures show the 'staithe' section

IMG_3454.JPG

snap - we were there two weeks ago - great meal in the Wherry ...... but  you need to book a table if you want to eat inside, as it was very busy.

IMG_8955.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have decided to extend our Norfolk stay so will be arriving on the Thursday to take some of the sights of Norfolk in by car prior to going to collect Moonlight Shadow on the Saturday 14th August

We have booked Bumble Barn which is run by Karen and Paul who also own the Cross Keys at Dilham.

Its dog friendly and the reviews are great

https://bumblebarnbandb.co.uk/

Really looking forward to seeing what the place is like and we will no doubt let you all know

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Have a great week, Warren.  We should be up on Friday afternoon for the weekend on Norfolk Lady, so will watch out for you.

Likewise will look out for you

We are probably going to head towards Norwich on the Saturday and see where we get and we have booked a mooring and table at the Ferry House, Surlingham on the Sunday

You have a great time

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

That sounds like a good move Warren. We've been exploring Norfolk by car quite a bit in our off season breaks, even venturing into Suffolk on occasion. 

Have a great time.

We have a friend who lives near Manchester but comes from Suffolk and she always tells me about the beautiful towns and villages which we have yet to see, so a journey south may be on the cards

• 4 weeks later...

Julie and I left home (Bolton in the North West of England) at around 6am and set off across the M62, down the A1 and onto the A17 at Newark with our 2 Newfies Roxy and Yogi

Our usual first stop was Ivy's Farm, but due to covid they weren't opening their restaurant until 9am and as we usually stop around 8.30 we decided to try out the Gatwick Cafe, Sleaford which opens at 7am and we are so glad we did, as the food was first class, the place was spotless, there was ample parking and great exercise areas for the dogs.

It was very reasonably priced also

I had sausage and egg barm with brown sauce (bap, teacake, muffin, roll and a few other things to some!!!)

Julie had toast and jam with a coffee and I had a cup of tea with mine

It was £5 for the lot

I also noted a full regular breakfast with everything including drink and toast was only £4.50 with a larger one available!IMG-20210812-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.29c8ed13e810880c9f647cc230704d95.jpeg

IMG-20210812-WA0009.thumb.jpeg.eb4dd31da2a1523dc838818cb3a4c7ec.jpeg

IMG-20210812-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.a0de6243f7e22d8fd4fff022c2d9ce8a.jpeg

IMG-20210812-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.71c5dc606b9fbc624b8ed1574ebf9344.jpeg

After a good stop we set off to Horning, parking at the village Hall off Mill Loake to give the dogs a good walk around the village and spend some time at the green near the Swan Inn to watch the world go by

IMG-20210812-WA0012.thumb.jpg.21ba2d88e0fd620c4f6ae58c2d578eab.jpg

Horning seemed very busy and it was great to see Southern Comfort busy also

DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.f6c6262ea597515be6cf3dc0bb370329.JPG

DSC_0103.thumb.JPG.900b6373b968e0c59aacdfaafb430320.JPG

The skipper handled her with ease despite the 2 day boats trying to pass her on the starboard side as she was manoeuvring!

Then we made our way to Bumble Barn to be given a very warm reception in this idyllic setting which is owned by Karen and Paul who also own the Cross Keys at Dilham

It's 4 individual properties converted from a stable block in a gorgeous courtyard

The owners are very dog friendly and the rooms are tremendous with wet room, large screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities and a mini fridge

You order your breakfast the evening before and it is brought to your room the following morning

I will put some pictures on later and give you an insight into the rest of our trip

• Like 4