Aston Vega - New Owner And Sea Voyage!

sakibanski

Hi All,

I became the proud new owner of Vega a while ago to make my home. N699

I wondered if any of you lot might have any pics of her from way back in the day? Would love a bit of history to stick on the wall!

She managed to get from Felixstowe to London on a fairly choppy coastal passage with a crew of 5 and is now receiving some good TLC and a little bit of de-modernising, getting back to the old hardwood look inside!

If you have ever wondered how a 40 foot aston handles in a force 4/5, now you know: 

• Like 3

We hired her sister ship "Orion" in June 70 when they were only a year old. She was an absolute stunner, and handled extremely well gliding through the water leaving hardly any wake. Sadly, she was sold off the broads and (i believe) went to the Thames and was for sale on one of the brokerages a few years back. They were trying to sell her as a house boat, and had been completely wrecked inside.  I`m sure it was the Orion, as at the time, i`m sure all the others, "Vega, Sirius, and Castor" were still on the Broads.

Id love to know if she is still around and what state she is in, anybody know?.

As for the clip above, sorry sakibanski, but for your crew member to mess about on a small pitching fordeck in a choppy sea like that is just irresponsible. God forbid he fell overboard, although he`s wearing a lifejacket, he`s not wearing appropriate clothing for such a trip, let alone dance about on the deck without holding on.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

As for the clip above, sorry sakibanski, but for your crew member to mess about on a small pitching fordeck in a choppy sea like that is just irresponsible. God forbid he fell overboard, although he`s wearing a lifejacket, he`s not wearing appropriate clothing for such a trip, let alone dance about on the deck without holding on.

You're not alone thinking that, I thought it slightly less politely so didn't post it.

while not condoning it, I am sure we were all young once and did things that with hindsight and looking back across the years we may now feel were reckless, you only have one life, so as long as sensible precautions are taken we should live it, I too would rather have seen a safety line, but hey, at least the crew member concerned was enjoying it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Welcome to the NBN , we are usually more welcoming than this .

Look forward to following your adventures with your splendid craft, more pics please 

Indeed

:default_welcome: to the NBN sakibanski

If you want to replace the sliding roof, get in touch with Andy at Freedom, they have one still on hire in its original format and layout. I say that, because i used to see Vega moored in Wroxham. She had the sliding top removed and replaced by a folding canopy, is she still like that?.

58 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

If you want to replace the sliding roof, get in touch with Andy at Freedom, they have one still on hire in its original format and layout. I say that, because i used to see Vega moored in Wroxham. She had the sliding top removed and replaced by a folding canopy, is she still like that?.

Yep she has the canopy. The last owner treated her to a new one so its pretty fresh. If he had a spare hardtop roof laying around I'd take it! I saw the blog post of the total roof replacement rambling freedom had, luckily mine wasn't as bad!

Would love to see some old postcard pics of her though, Anybody got some?

39 minutes ago, sakibanski said:

Yep she has the canopy. The last owner treated her to a new one so its pretty fresh. If he had a spare hardtop roof laying around I'd take it! I saw the blog post of the total roof replacement rambling freedom had, luckily mine wasn't as bad!

Would love to see some old postcard pics of her though, Anybody got some?

I had loads of the Orion from 1970, but sadly have lost them over time.