speed cameras on A149

newf

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
The reason we, (and the rest of the world) aren't using electric vehicles in quantity yet is because they're not economically viable, because battery and fuel cell technology is not good enough yet.

It's got nothing to do with Governments worried about oil derived tax revenue.

If/when we do get viable everyday electric vehicles, then they will simply switch the way the tax is applied.

We've already seen it with the attempts at LPG car and van conversions. Diesel fuel tax was cheaper than petrol, until it become more popular.

Once the mainstream users buy alternative fuel sources in quantity, it ceases to become cheaper, tax-wise.

There's no way round it, it's a big source of tax income :)

Whilst i totally agree with the latter part of your post Strow, i will strongly disagree with your thoughts on alternative fueled vehicals. The technology IS there, and has been there for years, but, and this HAS been proved, whenever a company, or a university developes a viable form of environmentally friendly, cheap and more efficient propulsion system, the oil giants HAVE put large sums of money into the projects via loosely connected "satelite" companies providing they have sole rites to it, and then withdraws ALL the funding, rendering the whole project redundant. That is fact, and NO government will go against ANY oil giant because of the stranglehold they have over them.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
I have never heard such a ridiculous idea as paying more tax on fuel to replace the road tax.

My boat does about 1 mpg on petrol, bad enough paying road levy on it let alone road tax too. :cry

I`ve ALWAYS failed to see the reasoning as to why marine petrol should NOT have benefitted the same as marine diesel. If both fuels are for the same use, they should also benefit from the same tax breaks.

I`ve ALWAYS failed to see the reasoning as to why marine petrol should NOT have benefitted the same as marine diesel. If both fuels are for the same use, they should also benefit from the same tax breaks.

Marine diesel for propulsion use now carries the same duty as road fuel after the loss of derogation, the heating proportion is taxed the same as any other heating fuel.

Marine diesel for propulsion use now carries the same duty as road fuel after the loss of derogation, the heating proportion is taxed the same as any other heating fuel.

So why is my domestic fuel charged at full road duty when diesel which is now treated as road fuel maintains a generalised 40% at reduced tax?

For just that reason Ian it is not for propulsion, if you had diesel generator and heating you could buy it at the same rate, actually I'm not sure if you could claim the duty back on petrol for heating or not, maybe you could. I do know that if you use petrol for commercial fishing or indeed other commercial boating you can claim back duty and VAT.

When I left school and started work in 1968, petrol was 6 shillings and sixpence (33p) per gallon, of which 63% was tax.

The "average" gross wage in 1968 was £15 per week.

So in 1968 a gallon of petrol was 1/45 of a week's wages.

Now, in 2010 petrol is around 1.25p per litre, so that's £5.68 per gallon, of which 70% is tax (7% more).

Today's "average gross wage" is more difficult to determine, but I have a feeling it's probably well over £255 per week (gross), so petrol is cheaper now, in real terms, than it was in the 60's........ :)

(Brian, I really need a tin hat smilie for this forum) :)

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/rep ... allons.pdf

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=UK+ave ... CGcQyQEoBw

For just that reason Ian it is not for propulsion, if you had diesel generator and heating you could buy it at the same rate, actually I'm not sure if you could claim the duty back on petrol for heating or not, maybe you could. I do know that if you use petrol for commercial fishing or indeed other commercial boating you can claim back duty and VAT.

Not strictly true david,

I do have a generator which I use to charge battery's I also have a heater that I use to heat the water, Both are quite large I will admit but both are dual purpose but never the less a proportion of their output is used for domestic purposes. Strangely the tax office take the view that petrol has never been available at a duty discounted rate so it never will be.

Well that is unless I use it for a reduced duty activity such as commercial fishing or indeed any other commercial boating activity then I could claim back duty and VAT.

Strangely the revenue man could not find fault with the domestic proportion logic but decided not to engage further in the argument on the basis that he could not explain why, IT JUST WAS.

That went down well then.... :)

Fuel was indeed cheaper in the 60's but you used more as MPG was poor on most cars.

The average car now costs £60 a week to fill it up,then you could fill up for £3 a week,so if you are on £600 per week take home pay it is 10% of your wage,I would say not many working men are on that sort of take home pay so the pecentage is much higher.

Something has to give soon before people start going to the wall

Fuel was indeed cheaper in the 60's but you used more as MPG was poor on most cars.

The average car now costs £60 a week to fill it up,then you could fill up for £3 a week,so if you are on £600 per week take home pay it is 10% of your wage,I would say not many working men are on that sort of take home pay so the pecentage is much higher.

Something has to give soon before people start going to the wall

No, fuel was more expensive in the 60's, in real terms, when compared with average wages. So the poor mpg in those days made motoring even more expensive.

The links that I posted in my original thread shows the cost of petrol each year since 1908, and the average wages in the 60's.

In 1968, an average weekly wage (£15) was equal to 45 gallons of petrol.

£600 wage today could by 100 gallons of petrol.

£600 wage today could by 100 gallons of petrol.

Cor blimey, major Fred Drift on this thread from speed cameras, eh? :naughty:

Anyway, since when is £31,200 an "average" salary is what I'd like to know! I realise it's probably governement figures or something, but I wonder how may people are actually on the average wage now compared to the 60's. The modal wage rather than hte average would probably be a better indicator.

Cor blimey, major Fred Drift on this thread from speed cameras, eh? :naughty:

Yes, guilty as charged, sorry....

Anyway, since when is £31,200 an "average" salary is what I'd like to know! I realise it's probably governement figures or something, but I wonder how may people are actually on the average wage now compared to the 60's. The modal wage rather than hte average would probably be a better indicator.

I was just using W44nty's quote on take home pay. My original post on this thread gave a figure of £255 per week (gross), as being the equivalent average pay today for petrol to be the same real cost as in 1968, ( the cost of 45 gallons of petrol). I find it very difficult to estimate current "average" pay, but I'm sure it's quite a bit more than £255. :)

Lets hope Strowager do not get a job with the treasury,fuel would be nearly £3 a litre based on those figures.

One final thing for me to point out is

"Strowager is not always right ,but he is very rarely wrong" :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

I wouldn't want any job now, least of all with the Government. Careful now though, you'll get me started on how cheap Vehicle Excise Tax is now, compared to the 60's.. :naughty:

When I left school and started work in 1968, petrol was 6 shillings and sixpence (33p) per gallon, of which 63% was tax.

The "average" gross wage in 1968 was £15 per week.

So in 1968 a gallon of petrol was 1/45 of a week's wages.

Now, in 2010 petrol is around 1.25p per litre, so that's £5.68 per gallon, of which 70% is tax (7% more).

Today's "average gross wage" is more difficult to determine, but I have a feeling it's probably well over £255 per week (gross), so petrol is cheaper now, in real terms, than it was in the 60's........ :)

(Brian, I really need a tin hat smilie for this forum) :)

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/rep ... allons.pdf

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=UK+ave ... CGcQyQEoBw

On a grey cold January Day, thats made me smile and has made me feel a bit better about heh cost of Fuel :lol:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Strow, Just because something was in percentage terms more expensive 40-50 years ago, that does`nt mean it HAS to go way up in price today. That`s what is called "PROGRESS" meaning to make life better, and more affordable. The way things are going in this country, every single penny of earnings will be barely enough for the essentials in life, with precious little chance of being able to afford a few luxuries. Unless of course you`re a banker or a government minister two gunstwo gunstwo guns .

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Petrol and Car Tax still used to be even more "bloody expensive" :naughty:

I`ve just re-newed the road tax on my car ......................... £200 for a 1.6 Astra?............... I doubt if it`s EVER been that expensive, even "in percentage terms".

I`ve just re-newed the road tax on my car ......................... £200 for a 1.6 Astra?............... I doubt if it`s EVER been that expensive, even "in percentage terms".

Just taking 1968 again, yes, it was much more expensive. :)

Road Tax was then £25 per year, so with £15 average weekly wage packet, that was 1.6 weeks pay.

Even if we take average weekly pay now as only say, £300, then your road tax would have been £480, so it's half the price now.... :naughty:

http://www.fromanothertime.com/ (click "historic rates", then "duty for cars")

Numbers change, percentages stay the same.

In real terms there is very little extra money in the country than there was 50 years ago yet the average man now enjoys a higher standard of living than he did then.

How many family's could afford to run one car, let alone two back then?

Numbers change, percentages stay the same.

In real terms there is very little extra money in the country than there was 50 years ago yet the average man now enjoys a higher standard of living than he did then.

How many family's could afford to run one car, let alone two back then?

That's a relief, I thought I was the only one that could see it. :)

Exactly right Senator. Homo Sapiens is a very ungrateful species.

How many families could afford to buy a new car then ? I worked for the GPO (Telephones) then, in a fairly well paid job, and yet most of my mates could only afford a succession of secondhand cars, and most had to do their own maintenance.

So many people winge about prices of things compared to years ago, but whenever earnings are factored in, many things are actually much cheaper.

A bloody awful black and white cathode ray tube TV then cost more than a month's wages, yet now you can get a 40" HD LCD TV for a week's wages.