Swallows And Amazons

jeffbroadslover

On 22/12/2019 at 00:56, Paul said:

I'm afraid it is the product of some jobbing script writer who believes his talent is greater than Mr Ransomes ....

I only watched it once - NEVER AGAIN ! This version was total rubbish, tailored to a wider 'World' market - apparently. Anyone who had any familiarity with Arthur Ransome and his works could only feel the same... And who the **** is 'Tatty'?  Political correctness gone mad . Why wasn't Roger renamed as well ? :default_norty:

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 00:34, SteveO said:

Found it quite tedious. Resorted to cooking dinner instead. Salmon marinaded in Teryaki sauce made me feel much happier.

Never having seen another version of this film and indeed having never read the book I actually rather enjoyed it However I would much rather have  someone cook me salmon as you describe than watch any film.

Carole

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tend to side with Grendal and PW on this, in that it's not a bad children's film. Some mistakes have been made, I think it would have been better if it had had a different title, and that Arthur Ransome should have been credited for "inspiring" the film and much of it's plot.

Political correctness? Maybe, or did the director want kids to concentrate on the plot rather than giggling throughout whenever her name was mentioned. I think there were too many other PC points ignored for the name change to be PC driven. Nobody seemed to turn a hair at children carrying a pocket knife for example.

No, I'd far rather see kids watching that film than playing "Grand Theft Auto" however much it might have soiled Arthur's memory.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

No, I'd far rather see kids watching that film than playing "Grand Theft Auto" however much it might have soiled Arthur's memory.

I certainly agree with that - but why does TV seem to wish to inflict all these new versions on us, when there was nothing wrong with the original?  Can they not think up something original for themselves?  TV programmes are full of repeats in this "festive season" but there seems to be little creative originality.  No wonder Morcambe and Wise still featured on prime time TV on Christmas Day, all these years later.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

But have you ever actually played GTA Eminem? It's awesome