Iain Remembered

addicted

I do miss Night Owls Nook! Iain and I were habitual night owls through various bouts of illness. He'd do his moderating, I'd do my level best to give him something to moderate and keep our minds off things. For those that can't remember Night Owl's Nook, it was a thread masquerading as a late night Norfolk Radio Station. The fictitious host Silent Simon Sloth would be joined by local guests such as Councillor Gladys Dogthrottle of Yarmouth who had come along to talk about her hobby of knitting a collection of Beecham Pills from cat hair. There would be phone ins where locals such as Ms Camille Toe of Horning or Felicity Baumflaugh would get in contact. There was entertainment from local musical groups like the Martham Ladies Over Seventy Nude Madrigal Society. Many of the names and topics for discussion suggested on the sly by Iain in the wee small hours!

Merry Christmas Iain!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Very much missed.

Iain was a great guy and a fantastic moderator and it was a pleasure to have (not quite) known him.

I always felt you actually did know Iain even if you had never met him. That’s the way it is with NBN, paths may never cross but familiarity and understanding is there in many instances. Not particularly well put but I think most peeps will know what I mean! 

• Like 5

I don't no why but I wanted to meet him so much. On his last visit to the Norfolk Broads I tried to follow him. But to no avail. I followed him by car from mooring to mooring. Finally to his home port. He was not well. I arrived at the boat yard...........but he had gone home. I had missed him by seconds.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I never met the 'pesky mod' but his legacy lives on. When those that wish to be ......difficult and cause friction on this forum the pesky mod would have been there and is so seriously missed. He just sorted it - end of story

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My strongest memory of IaIn is of his lovely, gentle, sense of humour. The forum has been a poorer place without his presence, I still miss him enormously as, I'm sure, do many others on here. To be held in such high regard by others, many of whom, myself included,  never even met him says such a  lot about the man.

Carole

• Like 4

4 hours ago, addicted said:

My strongest memory of IaIn is of his lovely, gentle, sense of humour. The forum has been a poorer place without his presence, I still miss him enormously as, I'm sure, do many others on here. To be held in such high regard by others, many of whom, myself included,  never even met him says such a  lot about the man.

Carole

Carole. I have to say the forum has not been a poorer place without his presence. It has grown in strength beyond our imagination because of his contribution, his integrity, the standard he left behind for others to follow. Thankfully his influence has become a bench mark for other forums to follow, and our present administration is the leader in this respect. Others have fallen short. We must thank him and remember him for the legacy he left behind for us all.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Carole. I have to say the forum has not been a poorer place without his presence. It has grown in strength beyond our imagination because of his contribution, his integrity, the standard he left behind for others to follow. Thankfully his influence has become a bench mark for other forums to follow, and our present administration is the leader in this respect. Others have fallen short. We must thank him and remember him for the legacy he left behind for us all.

A fact I can concur with, even now when faced with a moderation decision, i tend to think to myself, how would Ian have handled this, i still aspire to the skills he had in moderating, despite all the practice some people have given me.

• Like 4

It's always a shame to lose someone like Ian, but it's also a shame to lose any friend. I never had the pleasure to meet Ian, but he was always a pleasure to converse with. RIP Ian. 

I'd also like to remember all our members who we've lost, as well as members lost spouses etc, and hope they're ALL upstairs looking down on us all with a smile. RIP all. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, addicted said:

no criticism of the forum or it's administrators was inferred only that Iain left a hole  and his presence is still missed.

Carole

Carole

May I join you with your sincere tribute to Iain. My comment was not meant in any way to infer any criticism whatsoever. I would be mortified if you in particular thought otherwise.

Empty tables, empty chairs. Iain was a friend so many of us never met.

Andrew.

• Like 2