Quiz Night 2020

unclemike

Well as I was the lucky winner of Polly's quiz part one I get to set the quiz for tomorrow night.

As we are now into November I have decided on a Christmas theme   :default_gbxhmm:

1. Christmas Books

2. Christmas No.1's

3. Christmas Trivia

Break for a well earned recharging of glasses

4. Christmas Films

5. Carols Missing Letters

6. Christmas Allsorts.

The quiz will start about 8.30 pm in the chat room all are welcome, follow the link below.

Enter user name - no password required; https://www.nbnquiz.co.uk/chat/

20 hours ago, SteveO said:

Topics for tomorrow evening's quiz are as follows:

God's County

Hidden Underground

Weird Foods

Half time break

Name that tune

Norfolk Navigation

General Madness

Hope to see you on Friday 13th November at 8.30ish in the Chatroom ;-https://www.nbnquiz.co.uk/chat/ Enter Username -no password required;

On 28/11/2020 at 13:30, Tigerhawk said:

We were a a little light on numbers, so the quiz was held over until next Friday.

I am not a one for a quiz but I do read the thread associated with it. I think you would be better off holding your quiz once a month as you might get a better turn out. 

Well, if I may I`ll put two things forward.

Stop using the fastest finger wins format

Stop using a mixture of forum user names and real names when congratulating winners after every correct answer is given. Why? Because it is off putting to newbies and stinks of being a clique group of people. I did research the point via pm`s to two people who agreed but said "Yeah, but you get used to it".

An example I remember was ...............

What county is X in? The correct answer was Leicestershire but the point winner typed Leicester and won because that answer was the first by less than a second and the host that night was clearly a close friend of the point winner.

:default_gbxhmm:  :default_hiding:

I would like to make a few comments regarding the quiz.

Firstly it is not meant to be a serious competition but more a means of unwinding at the end of the week.

For many reasons I have been unable to take part for a long time now and I very much miss the social aspect.  

However, seeing as I provide the chatroom that is used for the quiz I feel I am entitled to comment.

In the past we have even had Music rounds and Picture rounds which all added interesting a bit of variation.

QM's occasionally make mistakes but personally I don't throw teddies out of the pram but just let it ride.  There are more important things to worry about.

I note there have been several low turnouts but one has got to remember that most peoples lives do not revolve around the forum and many of us this year have all sorts of unexpected issues to contend with.

There has never been a select group and favouritism does not come in to deciding who the points are awarded to.

The times stamp on each post is used as the basis for deciding the winner and if two answers have the same time stamp then both get a point.

As has been pointed out on a number of occasions the quiz is open to all.  There are no prizes other than the fact that the winner sets the next quiz.

There is no compulsion to do this and if someone does not want to set a quiz then they can always ask the one who came second and then ask for volunteers.

A possible reason for not many new people joining in the quiz could be that the web address of the chatroom does not appear as a link on the forum and unless people read the quiz thread they probably would not be aware of it.

The room is usually used for the quiz on Friday evening but remember it is a chatroom open for anyone to use.

I do look occasionally and I see it gets very little use outside of the quiz.

I can't write more now as my assistance is required elsewhere but may add more later.

• Like 5

Agree with Arthur on this one. At the end of the day the quiz is just a bit of fun and time to relax and chat. Some weeks the attendance can be a bit low but over the years it has fluctuated from four or five to over twenty. I can even remember when it was so popular it was run twice a week. People come and go as they want

There has been attempts to change the format but they became so complicated they were abandoned.

” Fastest finger first” wins, well that’s o/k. The quizmaster will often use their discretion on typos, spelling errors etc to even things up a bit

Just come along and join in, all are made most welcome

• Like 2

As a reasonably regular QM, I have tried thinking about using other formats rather than fastest answer.

However these can also be difficult to put into practice.

I did try a history quiz where each contestant only gets one answer and the nearest the correct date gets the point.

This does get around the "Typing Competition" element, but is unfortunately limited to either history/dates or maths!

If we tried the "Pub Quiz" format of say 25 questions and everyone submits their answers to the QM by PM for marking, in my view that would spoil some of the fun element of our quizzes by people not being able to see other answers, some of which are deliberately done for comedy value (or to be a bit rude Mr O!).

it would also lead to quite a long hiatus whilst the QM was checking the answers.

As said by others previously, fastest answer isn't ideal, but it may be the best option given the light hearted nature of the quizzes.

In the end, it is all done for a bit of fun. If we can all go away having had an enjoyable evening, maybe even having learned a few interesting or obscure bits of knowledge and with a smile then that is all we can wish for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tigerhawk said:

If we tried the "Pub Quiz" format of say 25 questions and everyone submits their answers to the QM by PM for marking, in my view that would spoil some of the fun element of our quizzes by people not being able to see other answers, some of which are deliberately done for comedy value (or to be a bit rude Mr O!).

Moi??????

• Haha 1

Any change from the current format would not be a good idea as it is the general banter during the quiz as well as some of the daft answers when someone has not got a clue of the answer that make the evening entertaining.

Turning it into a serious quiz with a rigid format I think would put people off.

One thing that I did find frustrating when I was more able to take part both as a competitior and occasionaly as QM was the way the quiz was turning into a googling competition. I am sure this put people off sometimes.

I used to try various ideas that prevented people simply copying the question and pasting it into google.

The picture rounds and the music rounds used to work well in this aspect.

I recall on one occassion that I set a round of questions featuring the first lines of well known books.  The books in question having to be named as the answer.

To avoid the googling aspect I wrote all the questions in that round in Welsh.

Amazingly most people still got the answers fairly quickly but just had to use a bit of thought.

We alll have our favourite subjects and things we know nowt about.

Questions on pop music were my pet hate as anything north of 1960 is lost on me.

I have to admit that some improvements need to be made the chatroom.

The previous one we used worked very well but depended on adobe flash .

Unfortuntely a number of browsers were starting to block flash content which was why the change.

Anyway I have some ideas and will get on with things as and when I can.

Thankfully I have now got rid of the problems I was having with Windows 10 an have bought a Macbook.

Bit of a learning curve after using Windows but so far so good.

The chatroom is going to have to move to another server at some point soon but I will mimimise the downtime and let you know when.

Its been another long day and I need some rest but I will give a bit more information on things shortly.

• Like 2

I always think that if you can google the answer and then answer the question before someone who knew the answer could type it then you must be really fast, sometimes i type the answer as soon as the question appears, and am still beaten by a couple of seconds. sometimes making the questions easier is the answer, then the googlers dont have time.

first lines of songs is a good one as i generally have to sing the song in my head to figure the title.

• Like 1

I try to level the pitch by including a mix of easy and hard questions. Of course I only think the easy ones are easy because I know the answers to them.  I don't have anyone I can bounce the questions off beforehand because NikO also does the quiz, so my questions have to be a state secret.  You have to use a bit of common sense when scoring the answers. If it doesn't look as though anyone is going to get the exact answer, I tend to give a point for a close near miss and another point if anyone then gets the question exactly right.  I don't think that favouritism comes into it. As QM you just want to keep the proceedings running smoothly. I certainly wouldn't have the time or presence of mind to think about favouring particular individuals.

As for "being a bit rude" it is only ever as an attempt to inject a bit of humour into proceedings. Of course, what I think funny, you may not. Apologies for any offence I may have inadvertently caused. 

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Find it sad if people cheat using Google, at the end of the day they are only cheating themselves in a fun quiz.

I agree with you 100%.  I try to include a fair number of "non-Googleable"  questions in my quizzes - cryptic clues and the like, but it is a fine line between stopping people from Googling and making questions too difficult. At the end of the day, as you say, people are only fooling themselves. Personally, I would only Google if it was clear that no-one knew the answer and then I would prefix my answer with "Google says..."