Acle B.N.P.

JennyMorgan

It would appears that Acle is now a member of the mythical Broads National Park! House prices will now rise, affordable housing will be a thing of the past and planning for the entire village will be under the auspice of the delusional Authority thus becoming an area that is under a planning blight, unless it is immediately upstream of Acle Bridge :default_icon_cry:.

Acle BNP.jpg

I wonder just how much of Acle as a town is actually within the Authority's executive area? It seems wrong to me that the Authority should be able to declare/decree that areas outside that boundary are within the BNP,  an area that the BA professes to take care of. Perhaps BA Tom will be able to tell us where the mythical BNP boundaries actually are and how the BA can regulate outside of that area?

Broads Map.jpg

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I wonder just how much of Acle as a town is actually within the Authority's executive area? It seems wrong to me that the Authority should be able to declare/decree that areas outside that boundary are within the BNP,  an area that the BA professes to take care of. Perhaps BA Tom will be able to tell us where the mythical BNP boundaries actually are and how the BA can regulate outside of that area?

Broads Map.jpg

A more accurate map of the Broads Authority's boundary with regard to Acle can be found on the Broadland DC web site, from which this attached screenshot was obtained. The boundary (shown by the narrow blue line) generally follows the flood plains. The inhabited part of Acle (housing) doesn't come under the Broads Authority.

Anyone advertising their house as being in the Broads National Park (and expecting an inflated price) would find themselves in serious trouble with Trading Standards. I have read reports of Estate Agents refusing to use that descriptor, for fear of prosecution.

Acle - BA boundary.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What is it about Acle? First he insists it needs needs a visitor centre in the middle of the marshes and now he seems to want to annex it as part of his phantom national park.

There will - I am sure - be those here who will think "So what? It's just another one of his national park signs " but he must be aware that there is stiff local opposition to the concept. To those, it would seem as though he is waving these signs in their faces like a red rag to a bull.

Can this be excused as "For marketing purposes only"? Not to me!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Maybe BA have high expectations of the Government "Landscape Review" (formally known as the Glover Report) Watch the new governments legislation  programme  and make sure the MPs especially the new ones are up to speed (Party members please note)

One interesting quote the other day was that the RSPB have more paid up members than all the political parties combined?

2 hours ago, D46 said:

One might go as far as to surgest that sign pictured has already been played with , who on Earth mounts a sign at ground level ? .

Hopefully the grass grows quickly and cover's it up .

Maybe the fitter had forgotten the torque wrench and underestimated the effect of environmental conditions in Acle

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, D46 said:

One might go as far as to surgest that sign pictured has already been played with , who on Earth mounts a sign at ground level ? .

Hopefully the grass grows quickly and cover's it up .

I have an image in my mind of a little old white haired lady armed with a huge torque wrench and a handbag full of ire attacking the signs during the early hours! No, I honestly don't have a clue as to who loosened the Authority's esteemed nuts and lowered their fanciful signs to the ground but well done them!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I can't resist this!

I saw a report on Sky News this morning about a row going on in the Lake District between the NP authority and the local residents, about works being done at enormous expense to "open up the area to a wider public". Where have we heard that before?

The CEO of the Lake District NP is quoted as saying "We are deficient in terms of young people; we are deficient in terms of black and minority ethnic communities and we are not particularly well visited by those who are less able in terms of their mobility". He has noticed, it seems, that you can't get up Scaffel Pike in a wheelchair.

There is an article about it on the Daily Mail website and if someone would be kind enough to link it here (I don't know how) you might find it interesting reading.

Is this what might be coming to the Broads, as a member of the "the national park family"?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Why a sad face JM?

Following the RSPB's report on Broadland and their declared support for shoreline retreat along the Norfolk Coast in order to create wetlands for wildlife and subsequent habitat loss for humans then I'm afraid I withdrew my support of the RSPB.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I can't resist this!

I saw a report on Sky News this morning about a row going on in the Lake District between the NP authority and the local residents, about works being done at enormous expense to "open up the area to a wider public". Where have we heard that before?

The CEO of the Lake District NP is quoted as saying "We are deficient in terms of young people; we are deficient in terms of black and minority ethnic communities and we are not particularly well visited by those who are less able in terms of their mobility". He has noticed, it seems, that you can't get up Scaffel Pike in a wheelchair.

There is an article about it on the Daily Mail website and if someone would be kind enough to link it here (I don't know how) you might find it interesting reading.

Is this what might be coming to the Broads, as a member of the "the national park family"?

I couldn't resist it either Vaughan! I've been following this since I read about it in a briefing earlier in the year. I think Richard Leafe, the Chief Exec in the Lakes NP, made a couple of important points.

"We need to be able to sell the national park to everybody in Britain, all society, and it is important that it doesn't become exclusive to one single use group. The moment we get into that position I think national parks lose their relevance and therefore the very reason for calling it a national park and spending public money."

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Following the RSPB's report on Broadland and their declared support for shoreline retreat along the Norfolk Coast in order to create wetlands for wildlife and subsequent habitat loss for humans then I'm afraid I withdrew my support of the RSPB.

Ah, I see. For one minute I thought you were pleased that the RSPB drew in so much support and were ‘criticising’ my comment. It seems the Society has lost a lot of support in recent years for one reason or another (mine included) yet still manages to outdo most wildlife organisations. 

Reading all the NP crap from the BA, it's pretty obvious that packman wants to be the Head of a "Broads National Park Authority" . It also seems to me that the NP authorities are trying to act like political parties, which if became true, it might just play INTO the hands of those that are linked to the Broads, or ANY NP, via residency, industrially, or leisurely, as any political entity would have to be publicly accountable via election.  Imagine how far the headmasters face would drop if that were to become law?.