Acle B.N.P.

JennyMorgan

On 13/01/2020 at 20:00, Paladin said:

A question in the Glover Review was: Is the governance structure of the National Parks fit for the future?

The BA’s response:...the boundaries of the Broads National Park should be reviewed to include whole parishes...

This was met with considerable resistance from parish and district councils alike. So, softly, softly, first step, put up signs in the acquiescent parish council areas, to give the impression to all and sundry that such a parish is now within the Broads executive area. Leave it like that for a while, until everyone (including the parish, district and county councillors) are brainwashed into believing it to be the status quo, then suggest to Glover/Defra/whoever that it has been universally accepted that those areas ARE de facto within the BA’s control, so let’s make it official.

Fantasy? Just remember, you read it first here.

This needs more recognition

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Having just re-read the above, again, I was drawn to the last paragraph, prophetic or what?

"I fear that the authority’s approach has not enabled the House to give it the warm cross-party endorsement that it might otherwise have had, and serious concerns among our constituents remain. That said, there will be further opportunities in the other place. As the hon. Member for North Norfolk said, the ultimate test will be the behaviour of the authority in interpreting and using its powers in the years ahead. If the fears of the navigators prove justified, we will know soon enough, and we will have the opportunity to do something about it in due course."

The sentence that I have highlighted in red was apt back then and remains wholly apt right now. In my opinion I think it reasonable to suggest that the Executive has failed on a number of counts, all relating to the BNP obsession, and culminating with the Acle Debacle and these road signs in particular.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If the fears of the navigators prove justified, we will know soon enough, and we will have the opportunity to do something about it in due course."

When was that ???

"This speech was given in the House of Commons on 7 May 2008 in the debate on the Third Reading of the Broads Authority Bill."

Ahh yes, 3 months short of 12 years ago. "Soon enough" eh?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I don't know if this route has been explored, but the BA are allowed to use the term "Broads National Park" for marketing.

Are official road signs allowed to carry marketing signs ?

Very good point , not sure if I'm right here but I would imagine there are strict rules regarding too much information in one place as it removes the required level of concentration on the road ahead for a longer period , incidentally that's exactly why some motorway signs have upper and lower case letters as it reduces thinking time .

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

When was that ???

"This speech was given in the House of Commons on 7 May 2008 in the debate on the Third Reading of the Broads Authority Bill."

Ahh yes, 3 months short of 12 years ago. "Soon enough" eh?

I think the penny dropped, 11 years and 9 months ago, eh!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I don't know if this route has been explored, but the BA are allowed to use the term "Broads National Park" for marketing.

No doubt that that question, and JP's interpretation of it, is at the very root of the problem.

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Tell me? What exactly is the BA marketing? The attributes of a National Park? Or their understanding that the Broads is a National Park.

And why?

Nearly forgot the last bit . Advertising on a road sign, in Norfolk. Why. They are here. They presumably know that. They know why they have come and why. Advertise in Leeds, North Allerton. That's where you need to do your marketing (let us know how you get on)

Old Wussername)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Wussername said:

How many of these signs do they intend to put up? And where? Does anybody know?

28 minutes ago, Lulu said:

How much are all these signs costing? 

I understand that 35 signs have been purchased.

The cost has been £31,640.23 (incl. vat)

(JM - I did give a figure of £26,366.86 a while ago, but that was ex-vat.)