Acle B.N.P.

JennyMorgan

23 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I hear through the grapevine that the BNP signs have been removed from Reedham. Whether nicked or officially removed I don't know. I do know that some signs were erected without any agreement between the BA & relevant Parish Councils, perhaps Reedham PC has now objected?  

One went soon after installation - the other on Ferry Rd (Ferry still closed by the way) still in place albeit part spray painted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome BigCheese, Thank you for what seems to be a quite comprehensive study of the history of the area, not only does it reinforce mine and I am sure many others understanding of the local heritage it goes way beyond, good luck with your endeavours as I am sure the finished product will be of great interest and very informative to us all.

Fred

• Like 1

Welcome to the site.. Big Cheese.

Big cheese there is a minor error in your article.. 

It reports peat cutting went on until the 14th century, I've recently read a book written by someone holidaying in the broads in the late 1800s, early 1900s period and he reports locals still cutting peat then. It was of course for personal, use not the huge scale of the past...

17 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:
26 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Welcome BigCheese, Thank you for what seems to be a quite comprehensive study of the history of the area, not only does it reinforce mine and I am sure many others understanding of the local heritage it goes way beyond, good luck with your endeavours as I am sure the finished product will be of great interest and very informative to us all.

Fred

Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement rightsaidfred

16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Welcome to the site.. Big Cheese.

Big cheese there is a minor error in your article.. 

It reports peat cutting went on until the 14th century, I've recently read a book written by someone holidaying in the broads in the late 1800s, early 1900s period and he reports locals still cutting peat then. It was of course for personal, use not the huge scale of the past...

Thank you for your feedback TheQ. I'll carry out some further research and edit appropriately.

On the subject of defacing signs, during a recent slow meandering cruise up the Yare I stopped at several of the BA 24hr moorings enroute. Some I noticed had the 24hr information signs defaced in an attempt to change or delete the National Park wording.

Whilst I am neither condoning nor critisising this action it does highlight the depth of feeling that exists about this whole BNP question. Far from belittling this as a comic " Tooting Popular Front" type action as alluded to before, I feel this is serious and shows the depth and passion the whole subject generates. Perhaps the "little man" can sometimes find no other way to keep the information (or misinformation - depending on your viewpoint) in the public and the visitors eye.

I much like the new wooden local heritage signs on Reedham Quayside, but then in the bottom right corner it states (advertises ?) Broads National Park.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RealWindmill said:

On the subject of defacing signs, during a recent slow meandering cruise up the Yare I stopped at several of the BA 24hr moorings enroute. Some I noticed had the 24hr information signs defaced in an attempt to change or delete the National Park wording.

Whilst I am neither condoning nor critisising this action it does highlight the depth of feeling that exists about this whole BNP question. Far from belittling this as a comic " Tooting Popular Front" type action as alluded to before, I feel this is serious and shows the depth and passion the whole subject generates. Perhaps the "little man" can sometimes find no other way to keep the information (or misinformation - depending on your viewpoint) in the public and the visitors eye.

I much like the new wooden local heritage signs on Reedham Quayside, but then in the bottom right corner it states (advertises ?) Broads National Park.

It was I who mentioned the Tooting popular Front in response to secretive groups, NOT the defacing signs. Every mention of defacing signs, even with the box-ticking "while I don't condone..." is still giving exposure to this kind of action and this post is almost encouragement. 

If leisure boating on the Broads were really under threat then it is my opinion that the wider public would offer it's support on the grounds that it is part of our cultural heritage. However, I also believe that although they may be in support, I don't think they would be willing to show support to a group which involved vandalism. This defacing of signs doesn't help the cause whatsoever; it gives ammunition to the opposition who should not be seen to give in to such actions. Whatever the depth of feeling it's not a good strategy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, floydraser said:

It was I who mentioned the Tooting popular Front in response to secretive groups, NOT the defacing signs. Every mention of defacing signs, even with the box-ticking "while I don't condone..." is still giving exposure to this kind of action and this post is almost encouragement. 

If leisure boating on the Broads were really under threat then it is my opinion that the wider public would offer it's support on the grounds that it is part of our cultural heritage. However, I also believe that although they may be in support, I don't think they would be willing to show support to a group which involved vandalism. This defacing of signs doesn't help the cause whatsoever; it gives ammunition to the opposition who should not be seen to give in to such actions. Whatever the depth of feeling it's not a good strategy.

Hang on , the fact that mooring signage is being now attacked is new , did you know it had ? As I certainly didn't , I really don't understand how stating you don't condone action of that kind is giving any level of encouragement .

Regarding the wider public getting involved it's highly unlikely really as it's generally people who live in the area or have an interest in the area that do that as sadly most see it as not their problem .

However I do agree that in relation to the defacing of signs it does give such as BA ammunition and besides it's criminal damage , while that should not be condoned I see no problem in reporting the fact it is happening .

• Like 4

8 hours ago, D46 said:

Regarding the wider public getting involved it's highly unlikely really as it's generally people who live in the area or have an interest in the area that do that as sadly most see it as not their problem .

I fully agree !  If I may draw a parallel - imagine if you will  measures were afoot to stop another minority activity - say Morris dancing.

Harmless, only of passing interest to most. Do you think the wider public would want to get involved? 

Yet just like boating, it's part of our heritage !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, D46 said:

Hang on , the fact that mooring signage is being now attacked is new , did you know it had ? As I certainly didn't , I really don't understand how stating you don't condone action of that kind is giving any level of encouragement .

However I do agree that in relation to the defacing of signs it does give such as BA ammunition and besides it's criminal damage , while that should not be condoned I see no problem in reporting the fact it is happening .

That is your opinion and fair enough. 

As for the mooring signage being defaced, how sure are we of the EXACT timescale of these defacings? Is it that they have been happening for a while and we have only just heard about it, or can we be absolutely positive that it is new? 

The way it's sometimes reported here, it can be more sensationalised than it probably is; some are interpreting the situation as if this involves a lot of people when actually, it is more likely to be just one very bitter person with a tin of paint, a permanent marker and a bike!:default_dry:

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I fully agree !  If I may draw a parallel - imagine if you will  measures were afoot to stop another minority activity - say Morris dancing.

Harmless, only of passing interest to most. Do you think the wider public would want to get involved? 

Yet just like boating, it's part of our heritage !

Don't agree. Another example: if they wanted to stop walking and climbing in the Lake District I think they could bank on the support of ex and future tourists for support. Similarly boating on the Broads.

4 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Don't agree. Another example: if they wanted to stop walking and climbing in the Lake District I think they could bank on the support of ex and future tourists for support. Similarly boating on the Broads.

Locally boating is important to many . Nationally it's small beer.  Just like walking and climbing in the Lakes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, floydraser said:

That is your opinion and fair enough. 

As for the mooring signage being defaced, how sure are we of the EXACT timescale of these defacings? Is it that they have been happening for a while and we have only just heard about it, or can we be absolutely positive that it is new? 

The way it's sometimes reported here, it can be more sensationalised than it probably is; some are interpreting the situation as if this involves a lot of people when actually, it is more likely to be just one very bitter person with a tin of paint, a permanent marker and a bike!:default_dry:

How certain can I be , well pretty much so really , last Monday I traveled from brundall to Braydon and back with friends on their broom 44 , not one mooring sign on the yare appeared defaced therefore I'm pretty certain this is recent .

5 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Only if they are aware of it and the consequences,  I doubt very few apart from those directly affected know which makes the signs themselves pretty pointless and a waste of money.

Fred

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rightsaidfred said:

Only if they are aware of it and the consequences,  I doubt very few apart from those directly affected know which makes the signs themselves pretty pointless and a waste of money.

Fred

Absolutely. And better they become aware of it by hearing of peaceful, well organised protest (of any form) than the opposition giving wide publicity to the vandalism first.

• Like 1

It certainly wasn't my intention to offer encouragement to defacing the mooring signs - either openly or subliminally.

One point was to genuinely ask how the ordinary punter using the river system who disapproved of the BNP tag can ensure the issue stays in the public arena. Could bombard BA towers with emails I guess or use forums like this but then would the general level exposure be high enough. Any thoughts ?

To be correct, the defacing at Pyes Mill didn't look too recent. There were a couple of other moorings also affected , I don't recall where as I had slow cruised up river and stopped at most places, so was close enough to observe. These small scale defacings may not be immediately visible from a boat passing by.

To be fair many of the moorings were also NOT affected but that doesn't change the point that someone had felt the need to make their feelings known to the community at large.

Again I would ask how do forum members feel the BNP issue can legally be kept high profile - if that is what individuals so desire.?

• Like 4

Being polite and telling Dr Packman that his BNP obsession is misplaced has not worked and I doubt that it ever will. Parliament and a succession of Secretaries of State have all told him that the Broads is not a NP. He hasn't and apparently won't take 'No' for an answer. The Acle BNP signs, and their defacement, have certainly brought the matter to a head. I'd suggest that the Doctor was unwise to escalate his personal project in this manner, as were those who have subsequently resorted to vandalism. Did JP really expect that people would, without exception, applaud and unanimously sit back and endorse the BNP lie? People are reacting as they see fit, that is how it is.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, marshman said:

"Some " people are reacting as they see fit PW - not sure if it is the majority!

That`s blatant misquoting marshy :default_eusa_naughty: . 

The use of speech marks is for definite quoting of what another has definitely said or written, where as JM says,

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

People are reacting as they see fit, that is how it is.

I don`t see any claim to numbers or percentages etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1