Acle B.N.P.

JennyMorgan

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Agreed, Fred, but in the latter stages of this thread there have been some unnecessarily obtuse, even challenging comments. For many of us the forum has also become our Broads based social club. The tone of some of these recent postings has not been what many members would wish of NBN. Friends can and do debate, and remain friends, let us hope that that continues. 

Totally agree and didnt wish to suggest otherwise.

Fred 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

it is called the Norfolk Broads Network, not Forum.

That is only because 'the other place' got there first. :default_hiding:

It feels so pathetic having to refer to 'the other place', most forums don't have a problem with other forums being mentioned.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Paladin said:

A somewhat inappropriate comparison, in my opinion. There were no restrictions on the reporting of those shootings, which were in the public eye for some considerable time. Jacinda Ahern wasn't leading, she was following. There was already an established international movement whose purpose is to deprive perpetrators of such heinous crimes of the notoriety they crave. Very commendable. But events of this nature were, and are, fully discussed and reported on in public.

Surely you cannot be seriously suggesting that the reporting and discussion, in the Press or other media, of crime of any sort can, or should, be taken as encouragement. Naming and shaming is already against this forum's ToS, even for non-criminal activities.

10 hours ago, Paladin said:

I'm not sure who you regard as bringing all posts down to childish squabbles. 

Hmmm.

Getting back to somewhere near the topic, I've just returned from Loddon, where the matter of the BNP sign that had been erected in the town was on the agenda of tonight's parish council meeting.

For reasons that weren't disclosed, the email about the sign, sent out by the BA, was never presented to the council , so they never replied to it. In accordance with their policy, the BA took the silence to indicate acceptance and had the sign erected. This did not go down well with the PC, nor did they support the notion of the Broads being called a national park. They decided unanimously to ask Norfolk County Council to remove the sign.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

Getting back to somewhere near the topic, I've just returned from Loddon, where the matter of the BNP sign that had been erected in the town was on the agenda of tonight's parish council meeting.

For reasons that weren't disclosed, the email about the sign, sent out by the BA, was never presented to the council , so they never replied to it. In accordance with their policy, the BA took the silence to indicate acceptance and had the sign erected. This did not go down well with the PC, nor did they support the notion of the Broads being called a national park. They decided unanimously to ask Norfolk County Council to remove the sign.

Thank you. Right and proper reaction by the PC, I hope that other PC's follow suit.

• Like 6

Sorry, cannot post a link but found this on the BA website. 

Broads Parish Forum / The next Parish Forum event is scheduled for Wednesday 18 March 2020, 6.30pm-8.30pm, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY.

It appears only to be for Chair or Parish clerks but it may be worthwhile finding out if your Parish is going to attend!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bayleaf said:

Sorry, cannot post a link but found this on the BA website. 

Broads Parish Forum / The next Parish Forum event is scheduled for Wednesday 18 March 2020, 6.30pm-8.30pm, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY.

It appears only to be for Chair or Parish clerks but it may be worthwhile finding out if your Parish is going to attend!

This might work https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/about-us/how-we-work/broads-engage/parish-forum

• Like 1

It might be worthwhile reminding Parish Council's of the downsides of supporting Dr Packman's arguably deceitful NP campaign.

Our good friend, London Rascal, has elsewhere reminded us of this BBC news report which makes it clear that the Broads is not legally a national park. Mind you, the spin very clearly, to my way of thinking, shows an unfortunate level of deceit! People come to the Broads for what they are, not for what JP wants them to be!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30952369?fbclid=IwAR22NvPmpqiUopR1nypiy-B7j3wt7zPMIuNXDQmbOMgKK2Q1KEH9SBN_HfQ

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

2015 news article!  Anything new?

And do you actually KNOW that people come here for what it is? I wonder how many come here because they think it is a NP?

Just asking......!!!

2015 news article, no harm in reminding folk, especially as it illustrates so aptly the way the BA operates.

I too wonder how many, or how few people come here because they have been mislead :default_norty:

Interesting to note that JP & Co have progressed, if that's the right word, from misleading road-signs to equally misleading pin badges!

BNP badges (2).jpg

If the proposed extension of Sandford is applied to all AONBs under the National Landscape vision and it receives the conservation Vs enjoyment tweek as recommended by Glover then it will interesting. With a new keeper of the purse, head of department and a dedicated conservationist now resident in Downing Street is the provision of a few road signs really of importance? When one considers the popularity that can be gained with the general public for a very small amount of money, maybe at the expense of a few boaters in adopting Glover.

There are numerous ways to maintain navigation but change The Broads sustantially such as utilisation of NTLs,  outside channel restrictions in large areas of open water and restriction of powered craft in certain areas.

If Glover is taken to heart and The National Landscape adopted then I see nothing to stop The Broads becoming a full NP under what is a really a rationalisation of countryside and nature.

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

I wonder if there is any more ‘marketing’ given to the event other than that? It’s unlikely Parish Clerks/Councils would pick anything up purely from the BA website. Anyone know?

Hello,

All parish clerks on our database are emailed directly inviting them to the Parish Forum events.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

If Glover is taken to heart and The National Landscape adopted then I see nothing to stop The Broads becoming a full NP under what is a really a rationalisation of countryside and nature.

Parliament has blocked previous attempts to make the Broads into a national park because of the Navigation issue. I'm no lawyer but unless a way around this issue, and it's one that could have a knock on effect not only on the Broads but also around the coast of Britain, then I don't see an easy way forward. Britain is an island and it would seem that the Broads is an island within. Boris, for all his faults, has acknowledged that the coast of Britain exists!  

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

In response to the article a BA spokesman said, "The road sign aims to benefit the community by attracting visitors..."

Really? The sign is in Loddon. If someone can see it, they've already arrived! What utter nonsense.

• Like 5